Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720989 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6480 on: October 13, 2012, 12:07:44 pm »

I hadn't heard of the other parts of the Yes campaign using tactics like that though?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: October 13, 2012, 12:08:47 pm »

I hadn't heard of the other parts of the Yes campaign using tactics like that though?

They are all pretty much rallying behind the same stuff.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: October 13, 2012, 12:09:07 pm »

It is also interesting that you can imagine the UK without Scotland. It's just such a big thing to me though, Scotland's always been so integral to the Union.
It's no more difficult than imagining the UK without Ireland (as in, all of Ireland, not just NI). Even if Scotland splits, there's still England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Cornwall to be a group of united kingdoms.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: October 13, 2012, 12:10:13 pm »

It is also interesting that you can imagine the UK without Scotland. It's just such a big thing to me though, Scotland's always been so integral to the Union.
It's no more difficult than imagining the UK without Ireland (as in, all of Ireland, not just NI). Even if Scotland splits, there's still England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Cornwall to be a group of united kingdoms.

Indeed there is, but the RUK will take a very interesting shape. I am not sure how many people will be satisfied with it. We could see further fracturing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:15:28 pm by Owlbread »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: October 13, 2012, 12:16:51 pm »

Whilst here in Wales there is no real hunger for independance (other than amongst extreme nationalists) due to sheer impracticalites and how disadvantaged it would leave us, the fact that Scotland has been given a vote over it has raised eyebrows, and should Scotland go for independance the voices here that think we should have our own referendum will no doubt get louder.

Anyway, this thread should be about the US election, so imma shutting up now as to avoid adding any more to this pretty massive derail.
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: October 13, 2012, 12:19:18 pm »

Whilst here in Wales there is no real hunger for independance (other than amongst extreme nationalists) due to sheer impracticalites and how disadvantaged it would leave us, the fact that Scotland has been given a vote over it has raised eyebrows, and should Scotland go for independance the voices here that think we should have our own referendum will no doubt get louder.

Anyway, this thread should be about the US election, so imma shutting up now as to avoid adding any more to this pretty massive derail.

Indeed it should, and I was more geared towards talking about Quebec originally, but I thought it would be safe to derail for a bit while we waited for new stuff to appear about the election.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: October 13, 2012, 12:27:14 pm »

Quebec, land of the chronically angry, is going to make North American geopolitics very difficult if it becomes independent, especially for Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: October 13, 2012, 12:39:02 pm »

Quebec, land of the chronically angry, is going to make North American geopolitics very difficult if it becomes independent, especially for Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island.

How would these provinces cope with being seperated from the rest of Canada?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: October 13, 2012, 12:42:05 pm »

There are some who suggest that Canada's bisection would lead to one side or the other being eaten by the US, but more likely they'd just have to cope with permanent and severe logistical problems not helped by Quebec's likely antagonism in such a scenario.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: October 13, 2012, 12:44:31 pm »

There are some who suggest that Canada's bisection would lead to one side or the other being eaten by the US, but more likely they'd just have to cope with permanent and severe logistical problems not helped by Quebec's likely antagonism in such a scenario.

I can't see Nova Scotia leaving Canada to join the USA. I remember when I was there almost every flag I saw was a maple leaf. The Nova Scotian flags that I saw were flying together with maple leafs almost exclusively, and believe me, I saw flags on nearly every second house.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: October 13, 2012, 12:48:35 pm »

Yeah, Atlantic Canada has a LOT of pro-confederation people. Source: I live there.

We really don't want to separate from Canada, and we really don't want Quebec to separate. Though to be fair, an important portion of our economy is based on seasonal labour, which the Albertans would see us heavily penalized for with their EI reforms...
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: October 13, 2012, 12:51:59 pm »

Yeah, Atlantic Canada has a LOT of pro-confederation people. Source: I live there.

We really don't want to separate from Canada, and we really don't want Quebec to separate. Though to be fair, an important portion of our economy is based on seasonal labour, which the Albertans would see us heavily penalized for with their EI reforms...

Where in Atlantic Canada are you from, out of interest? And it is interesting, because was there not a desire in the 19th century for Nova Scotia to remain an independent British colony?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: October 13, 2012, 12:56:17 pm »

New Brunswick.

There may have been a desire in the past, but that was before confederation worked so damn well. I think there's still a bit of independence in Newfoundland, simply because they were an independent colony for a much longer time, but there hasn't been very much independence talk around here for a long time.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: October 13, 2012, 01:01:39 pm »

I can't see Nova Scotia leaving Canada to join the USA. I remember when I was there almost every flag I saw was a maple leaf. The Nova Scotian flags that I saw were flying together with maple leafs almost exclusively, and believe me, I saw flags on nearly every second house.
The idea is more that it would be a union of economic necessity rather than any actual will to join the US. As I said before though, its a fairly unlikely outcome in any case. It would require both Quebec placing antagonistic trade restrictions along their claimed portion of Hudson Bay and the US being equally unwilling to let east and west Canada trade through the US, which it probably would be.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: October 13, 2012, 01:07:42 pm »

I sincerely disagree that a half supported it thirty years ago. And about a third of Scots support independence, yes. But things may change over the next two years.

That's nice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_referendum,_1979

People have been talking about independence movements in europe like FOR REALZ THIS TIME! for two centuries.  They seldom realize just how unremarkable the separatism of the day is.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 714