Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717410 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #8085 on: November 06, 2012, 04:02:25 am »

Whelp, as it's too late to really bother with politicking or stats... have some comedy.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: November 06, 2012, 04:27:00 am »

If Ohio does turn up in Romney's column, and a lot of other states don't also go the opposite of what Intrade and FiveThirtyEight are both predicting, it might be an indication that something fishy did happen.

Intrade and FiveThirtyEight are largely in agreement at the moment, except that the odds on different states are different, either more conservative on Intrade or more exaggerated on FiveThirtyEight, and Florida shows up as 53% chance of an Obama win in FiveThirtyEight's prediction, whereas Intrade shows a 65% chance of a Romney win in Florida (35% Obama).

(Note that Intrade's predictions come solely from market-based betting, and assume that people will research the subject and be smart about what they're putting their money on, taking more than just poll numbers into account, etc. Also that Intrade's numbers can and probably will change after I post this.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8087 on: November 06, 2012, 08:14:33 am »

Im off to vote.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: November 06, 2012, 09:20:47 am »

Well, that was the most unsatisfying experience I've had in months. I screwed up my absentee ballot (and was actually around to vote), as per usual for me and any vaguely government document on the first attempt, so I figured I'd go in and vote in person (bringing my absentee ballot just in case they wouldn't accept that and there was a way to fix it).

they tossed it in the machine, but overall... bleugh. I don't feel like I managed anything other than wasting my time and feeling sick to my stomache in the process.

I don't even think I managed to finish voting - I may have skipped the referendum questions. They took it from me too quickly for me to remember, and honestly I don't even care anymore. I'm just glad it's over.

I was kind of hoping I'd feel proud or something.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: November 06, 2012, 09:32:34 am »

It's a rather old piece, dating back from march, but I realloy laughed out loud reading this.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: November 06, 2012, 09:36:14 am »

You guys are doing that thing that you do tomorrow, right?
Quick summary: Who is most likely to win and how should I feel about that as somebody that believes in funding education, supports gay marriage, and thinks we need to cut carbon emissions drastically.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: November 06, 2012, 09:41:00 am »

Obama, and tentatively happy considering the likely alternative, but a little unhappy considering Jill Stein is a candidate with no chance.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: November 06, 2012, 09:42:14 am »

Just got back from voting. Jill Stein for president, straight democrat for pretty much everything else (except names I didn't recognize; null vote on those).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8093 on: November 06, 2012, 09:42:26 am »

You guys are doing that thing that you do tomorrow, right?
Quick summary: Who is most likely to win and how should I feel about that as somebody that believes in funding education, supports gay marriage, and thinks we need to cut carbon emissions drastically.

Obama is most likely to retain his office. However Romney winning would not be an unprecedented statistical anomaly.

Obama is less bad on gay marriage, education and environment than Romney. But he isn't all that great either.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: November 06, 2012, 09:44:17 am »

Well better no change at all than a step backwards...

Get it, because Obamas thing was change? And reelecting him is no change? Its irony? No..? I will show myself out...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: November 06, 2012, 09:45:04 am »

Bronco Bama will probably defeat Mittens, and your emotions should run neutral on him, since he's basically got a weak opinion on all those.

There's a small chance that Mittens beats Bronco, in which case your emotions should be negative since he is opposed to all of those things.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: November 06, 2012, 09:51:23 am »

See this is why you guys need compulsory voting, it makes everybody who really doesn't care vote for the most middle of the road candidate, and their massive wave of apathy drowns out the cries for attention coming from extreme fringe views. It is second only to having the winner be drawn from a hat.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: November 06, 2012, 09:53:23 am »

Preeeeeetty damn sure any compulsory voting would have a null vote option :P
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: November 06, 2012, 09:57:31 am »

I have completed my civic pacification exercise.  Wrote in Jill Stein.  Also wrote in Pikachu, Cthlulhu, and Nyarlathotep.  Whichever party gets the presidency, lets see them accomplish anything with an abomination controlled legislature.  Left everything else blank, because my vote for any other positions would be a roll of a die.

See this is why you guys need compulsory voting, it makes everybody who really doesn't care vote for the most middle of the road candidate, and their massive wave of apathy drowns out the cries for attention coming from extreme fringe views. It is second only to having the winner be drawn from a hat.

This assumes that someone who is being forced to vote would also be aware of which candidates are middle-of-the-road.  In America, there are rarely more than two options (D/R) for any position anyway.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:59:36 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: November 06, 2012, 09:59:04 am »

You had to write in Jill Stein? She was one of the options here (top one, in fact), and Utah isn't known for caring much about any party but Republicans.
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 714