Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717453 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #8835 on: November 07, 2012, 12:13:02 pm »

We're all adults here, there's no need for ridiculous analogies.
Yeah.  Imagine that the point you're trying to make is a screw, and effectively articulating your point is a screwdriver (for the sake of argument we'll say that the power-drill of open debate has already made the hole).  The screwdriver takes care to operate effectively, but ultimately gets the screw in.

Making a ridiculous analogy is like smacking that screw with a hammer.  It may be easier, but you will likely cause damage to the structure of the debate, and could even get your point lodged irretrievably in the wall of confusion.

fakeedit: I wrote this before seeing Trollheiming's analogy, but it's weirdly similar.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8836 on: November 07, 2012, 12:13:17 pm »

No, if history teaches us anything it's that when Republicans lose, the lesson they draw from it is, "We didn't lose because we're too conservative, we lost because we weren't too conservative ENOUGH!"

Does this mean we can expect to see Zombie Reagan next time around in some dance-off against Hilary Clinton?
Pfft....Reagan was a liberal wuss. We got bombed in Lebanon and he pulled out our troops. A *real* modern-day conservative would have flattened Beirut, landed half a million troops and made Lebanon an American protectorate.

Nah, my money's on another primary split between the Big Money candidate and the Big Crazy candidate. Only Big Crazy might be a strong force in the GOP over the next 4 years, so we could get a Santorum candidacy, or Bachmann or even Palin again. The establishment guys like Christie, Pawlenty and Huntsman may take a shot, but they'll have to dial up the crazy a bit if they want that golden ring.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8837 on: November 07, 2012, 12:14:48 pm »

God, I hope Santorum wins the 2016 nomination. He would be so beautifully crushed I would have no choice but to render it in song.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8838 on: November 07, 2012, 12:15:33 pm »

I love how they handled this story on NBC News

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9QSAOi6YW4
Well... that happened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8839 on: November 07, 2012, 12:16:14 pm »

God, I hope Santorum wins the 2016 nomination. He would be so beautifully crushed I would have no choice but to render it in song.
Aaannnndddd now I'm hoping that happens, too. And that you make a recording and publicly release it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8840 on: November 07, 2012, 12:20:33 pm »

Well, look like a won my bet. Anybody got a good avatar for Kon?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8841 on: November 07, 2012, 12:22:57 pm »

I'm holding my tongue in the interests of good forum manners. Plus, I doubt you'll see him darken this thread again.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8842 on: November 07, 2012, 12:23:23 pm »

This one:
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8843 on: November 07, 2012, 12:23:35 pm »

And for Trollheimig?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8844 on: November 07, 2012, 12:24:38 pm »

And for Trollheimig?

I think the Chinese government found out he was on this site and had him summarily executed.

I warned him to watch his back, but did he listen?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8845 on: November 07, 2012, 12:26:51 pm »

I don't think you'll see or hear much from Herman Cain again. He was just in it to sell his book.

Man, that's kind of depressing.

As much as the new fad of using a run for public office as a vehicle for self-promotion and profit disturbs me, it sure makes things more fun.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8846 on: November 07, 2012, 12:27:52 pm »

Some variant on smug telephone Obama would be my vote.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8847 on: November 07, 2012, 12:28:58 pm »

You can always hold out hope he'll write another book.

Also, I've been defriended by half a dozen folks on Facebook. Feels good man. Save me the trouble of having to using my fuckstick dowsing rod to figure out who to remove.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8848 on: November 07, 2012, 12:32:54 pm »

All my Facebook friends are already either filthy liberals or apolitical, so no issue there. You people really should watch all that fast and loose friending.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8849 on: November 07, 2012, 12:34:01 pm »

You can always hold out hope he'll write another book.

Also, I've been defriended by half a dozen folks on Facebook. Feels good man. Save me the trouble of having to using my fuckstick dowsing rod to figure out who to remove.

I just checked Amazon for used copies of This is Herman Cain!

Methinks it might be time to start collecting books from failed presidential candidates.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 714