Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717566 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9105 on: November 09, 2012, 10:22:56 am »

I can't remember where I got this, so unfortunately there's no source here, but I remember reading a report that a pretty good number of one-percenters aren't actually against raising taxes on the wealthy.  It feels like a lot of the "Don't tax the rich" sentiment is coming from the people who would benefit the most from taxes on the wealthy, who've somehow been duped into protesting their own interests.
Shoes...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9106 on: November 09, 2012, 10:23:16 am »

Silly Americans, wanting to get into Manitoba.

I would make a joke deriding Manitoba here, but I quite honestly can't think of one.
There is nothing there to deride besides stupidly long and cold winters. Think of North Dakota jokes, and then shift those to a site even further north. Anyone moving to Manitoba right now is in for a very long season...
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9107 on: November 09, 2012, 10:33:11 am »

I can't remember where I got this, so unfortunately there's no source here, but I remember reading a report that a pretty good number of one-percenters aren't actually against raising taxes on the wealthy.  It feels like a lot of the "Don't tax the rich" sentiment is coming from the people who would benefit the most from taxes on the wealthy, who've somehow been duped into protesting their own interests.
Warren Buffet has been very vocal about this point, but he takes a lot of shit from other rich people for it, or so he says.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9108 on: November 09, 2012, 11:11:45 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/upside-down-flag-west-virginia-mcdonald-raises-questions-154746450.html

McDonalds in west virginia flies their flag at half mast and upside down the day after the election... and blames it on faulty equipment.

http://news.yahoo.com/darwin-gets-4-000-write-votes-against-ga-232412954--election.html

Charles Darwin, the long dead biologist, won over 4000 write in votes in the the uncontested election of Paul Broun, who is notable for calling science "lies straight from the pit of hell" and for being on the House of Representatives Science Committee.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 11:36:53 am by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9109 on: November 09, 2012, 12:29:03 pm »

Wow, should NOT have read the comments on the Darwin thing.  Apparently some people are willing to believe evolution is a lie straight from the pits of hell, but are quite ok with saying black people are monkeys.

._.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9111 on: November 09, 2012, 01:26:31 pm »

Wow, should NOT have read the comments on the Darwin thing.  Apparently some people are willing to believe evolution is a lie straight from the pits of hell, but are quite ok with saying black people are monkeys.

._.

That says quite a lot about the sort of people that hold that point of thought really doesn't it?
This is a blank sig.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9112 on: November 09, 2012, 01:33:12 pm »

Wow, should NOT have read the comments on the Darwin thing.
Are you sure?

Quote from: Mark
if EVILUTION WAS CORRECT WHY HAVEN´T CHIMPS,GORRILAS ,MONKIES
"EVOVLVED"
Quote from: AcedemicBusboy
But Mark! They *have* evolved! They're on the Internet, stabbing at the keyboard with the "Caps Lock" on.....

EDIT: Okay, you are right. These people are idiots.
lets not start with monkeys - tell me how the first dinosaur evolved with it's many variations. and why didn't they keep evolvin again after they were wiped out. could it be that some being was providing for our oil needs centuries later?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:34:45 pm by Dutchling »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: November 09, 2012, 01:35:34 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/09/murray-energy-obama-layoffs-cut-jobs_n_2100172.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=2153734,b=facebook

Someone drank a little too much of the kool-aid.

Back in August, well before the election, Murray Energy closed Red Bird West coal mine near Brilliant, Ohio due to perceived regulations by the Obama Administration (EPA?) In October of this year the U.S. Department of Labor has reached a settlement with the operators of the Crandall Canyon mine and other Murray Energy Corp. subsidiaries, resolving litigation and violations cited after the mine’s 2007 collapse, which killed eight miners and an MSHA inspector. The accident investigation conducted by MSHA revealed that a grossly deficient mine design led to pillar failures. Consequently, the agency issued 20 enforcement violations to the mine’s operators and assessed penalties totaling $1,639,351 as well as an agreement to pay in total $949,351 in civil penalties for the Crandall Canyon violations. It is the third-largest penalty in the history of U.S. coal-mining disasters.
This is why Murray is laying off employees. It has NOTHING...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING....to do with Obama.

Good summary, random internet commentator.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9114 on: November 09, 2012, 02:11:05 pm »

Quote from: Mark
if EVILUTION WAS CORRECT WHY HAVEN´T CHIMPS,GORRILAS ,MONKIES
"EVOVLVED"
I blame Pokémon's version of evolution

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9115 on: November 09, 2012, 02:12:05 pm »

But Gorillas are clearly chimps that have evolved. I mean, just look at them! At least several levels hire, same types, similar moveset...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9116 on: November 09, 2012, 02:14:47 pm »

Aipom -> Ambipom

Checkmate, creationists.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9117 on: November 09, 2012, 02:24:13 pm »

lets not start with monkeys - tell me how the first dinosaur evolved with it's many variations. and why didn't they keep evolvin again after they were wiped out. could it be that some being was providing for our oil needs centuries later?

"my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: November 09, 2012, 03:23:57 pm »

Which imperialistic ventures are you talking about? I thought that we had already established that the Japanese had invaded Manchuria after their economy had already recovered/began to recover. And besides some pre-invasion economic concessions in Manchuria, I can't find any other imperialistic ventures at the appropriate time.

The imperialistic ventures in Manchuria immediately following the "recovery", which allowed Japan to actually keep it going. Oh, and allow me to complete the quote that you didn't finish:
This resulted in a strong and swift negative reaction from nationalists, especially those in the army, culminating in his assassination in the course of the February 26 Incident. This had a chilling effect on all civilian bureaucrats in the Japanese government. From 1934, the military's dominance of the government continued to grow. Instead of reducing deficit spending, the government introduced price controls and rationing schemes that reduced, but did not eliminate inflation, which would remain a problem until the end of World War II.

So yeah, the short term recovery was followed by long term inflation.

Also, you conveniently ignored the fact that the Japanese Depression effectively began in 1920, when the economy experienced a massive downturn and Japanese intervention failed to make a significant impact. To compare, very nearly the same depression occurred in the US at the same time, was fought with massive spending/tax cuts, and was replaced by a period of massive growth in 1922. So even assuming imperialism wasn't necessary to sustain Japanese growth, the net result was seven years of depression (20-27), two years of "recovery" (28-29), three MORE years of depression (29-31), and a recovery from THAT for four years, followed by the institution of what amounted to a wartime economy. The Wiki article doesn't even mention if the "recovery" was to pre-1929 levels, when the economy was basically in a depression already, or pre-1920 levels, when the economy was actually in decent shape.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9119 on: November 09, 2012, 03:29:45 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/race-city-council-tied-wife-candidate-doesn-t-161355890.html

A city council vote came down to a tie. And the wife of one of the candidates didn't vote.

http://news.yahoo.com/next-bush-makes-campaign-filing-texas-041025927.html

A new George Bush has decided to enter politics.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:03:59 pm by Nadaka »

Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 714