Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717425 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10470 on: December 28, 2012, 12:54:29 pm »

Maybe more states will do redistricting the way California does now: By having it done not by the legislators but by an independent committee.

We just got the first results of that this year, and I have to say the map does look a good bit more reasonable now. Hopefully that trend will continue.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10471 on: December 28, 2012, 01:32:10 pm »

Maryland's map is extremely ugly mostly due to the restraints of the Voting Rights Act, IIRC.

Also, there are a couple of states with independent commissions doing redistricting.
List (by memory): AZ (9 seats), CA (53 seats), CT (5 seats), ID (2 seats), IA (4 seats), WA (10 seats), NJ (11 seats?).

Of course, other states had court drawn maps in 2010 as well, which are generally fair.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: December 28, 2012, 01:36:26 pm »

Yes GreatJustice, I'm sure you know better then every fucking politician and political expert in the country.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: December 28, 2012, 01:37:26 pm »

Yes GreatJustice, I'm sure you know better then every fucking politician and political expert in the country.

wut
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: December 28, 2012, 01:41:07 pm »

Ah, I've found a map of the United States districted as if it were a single state with 435 seats (ie no attention is paid to state boundaries in regards to House districts). Behold:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As usually, it neglects Alaska and Hawai'i (and maybe Puerto Rico in a few years); possibly those could be the only states to have their own apportionment. They only have enough people for three representatives, anyways.

I would be very interested if someone has taken the time to see what the party makeup of this theoretical House would be...

Edit: Apparently, splitlining has a tendency to effectively disenfranchise urban voters; for example, under its system California would send more Republicans to the House than Democrats, even though there are more Democrats than Republicans among the state's voters.

Perhaps a solution is to declare everything within a ten-mile radius of the corporate limits of any city with a population over a million to be, for the purposes of redistricting, its own state. This could mean greater polarization between rural and urban congressmen, but as it stands, there's a great deal of polarization in the country anyways, and at least both sides would get more or less what they wanted in regards to congressmen.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:01:35 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10475 on: December 28, 2012, 02:03:38 pm »

Maryland's map is extremely ugly mostly due to the restraints of the Voting Rights Act, IIRC.

If you are talking about the Voting Rights Act of 1965, that doesn't apply to Maryland IIRC.

I would be very interested if someone has taken the time to see what the party makeup of this theoretical House would be...

My gut tells me that this map would give the republicans a deadlock on the house about as severe as the current gerrymandering does.  This has the conditions favorable to republicans, tightly packed urban only districts and black districts in the southern states diluted out among the white districts.  Democrats do better under mapping where urban votes and rural votes are more mixed together and where there is some minority representation in the south.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10476 on: December 28, 2012, 02:10:17 pm »

How flexible are the population size requirements for a district? Would it be feasible to have one district be one county? It would still make for reasonably fair division, with compact shapes because the voters won't accept being assigned to administrative and emergency services half way across the state. And unlike purely mathematical solutions, it would respect history and cultural identity.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:14:33 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: December 28, 2012, 02:35:50 pm »

If you are talking about the Voting Rights Act of 1965, that doesn't apply to Maryland IIRC.

My gut tells me that this map would give the republicans a deadlock on the house about as severe as the current gerrymandering does.  This has the conditions favorable to republicans, tightly packed urban only districts and black districts in the southern states diluted out among the white districts.  Democrats do better under mapping where urban votes and rural votes are more mixed together and where there is some minority representation in the south.

OK, so let's look at the requirement where any city with more than a million people is considered its own state. The problem, of course, is defining that. Population within corporate limits produces a counterintuitive list: Virginia Beach has more people than Atlanta, and the I've-never-heard-of-it Mesa, Arizona beats them both, as well as beating Cleveland, New Orleans and St. Louis. Aurora, Colorado beats Pittsburgh. Tulsa beats Minneapolis. El Paso beats Boston and Seattle. Only nine cities (New York, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philly, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego and Dallas) reach the million mark! And the next two are...San Jose, California and Jacksonville, Florida. We need to do better.

Metropolitan measures are better, if we could get a constitutional definition of a metro area so that you can't gerrymander by packing the Census Bureau with party favorites. Currently, here's the metro areas (Metropolitan Statistical Areas) that hit the million mark (there are 51 of them):

New York, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, DC, Miami, Atlanta, Boston

San Fran, Riverside (CA), Detroit, Phoenix, Seattle, Minneapolis, San Diego, Tampa, St. Louis, Baltimore

Denver, Pittsburgh, Portland, San Antonio, Sacramento, Orlando, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Las Vegas

San Jose, Columbus (OH), Charlotte, Austin, Indianapolis, VA Beach, Nashville, Providence, Milwaukee, Jacksonville

Memphis, Louisville (KY), OK City, Richmond, Hartford, New Orleans, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, Buffalo, Birmingham (AL), Rochester

The definition of a metro area is of course really nebulous, and would be hard to pull off. Still, this would ensure that cities aren't disenfranchised. The rest of the country could be treated as one large city that would be divided according to splitline...although I do have to wonder how you pull off splitline in a territory with numerous holes in it. Splitline seems to require a modicum of topological continuity, which is probably why that big-ass nationwide map I posted didn't cover Alaska or Hawaii.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:38:26 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: December 28, 2012, 02:47:24 pm »

How flexible are the population size requirements for a district? Would it be feasible to have one district be one county? It would still make for reasonably fair division, with compact shapes because the voters won't accept being assigned to administrative and emergency services half way across the state. And unlike purely mathematical solutions, it would respect history and cultural identity.

Counties have nowhere near equal populations.  On  the high end we have LA with 10 million people in one county.  Then there is Wyoming which divides 600k people into 23 counties.

This would just be a massive gerrymander in favor of the republicans.  The geographically concentrated democrats get packed into high democrat urban districts while republicans win the still uncompetative but not by as large margins rural districts.  It wouldn't be surprising to see results like Democrats winning the popular vote 60%-40% but not controlling the house under this system.  You'd be taking a map like they have in Pennsylvania and extending it to the entire country across state boundaries.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: December 28, 2012, 02:58:36 pm »

For redistricting, it's helpful to look at something like Dave's Redistricting App which allows you to draw your own districts.  I find it also helps to know where the lesser known population areas of each state are.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10480 on: December 28, 2012, 03:44:06 pm »

Counties have nowhere near equal populations.  On  the high end we have LA with 10 million people in one county.  Then there is Wyoming which divides 600k people into 23 counties.

Agreed. Even within one state, you're liable to see vast variation. NC has 100 counties. The largest (Mecklenburg, home to Charlotte) has 944,000 people. The smallest (Tyrell, a coastal county almost entirely composed of sparsely-inhabited swampland) has 4,364.

And with larger cities, they're often spread across multiple counties. It's also not uncommon to get large metro areas which are multi-city, multi-county conglomerates like Raleigh-Durham-Cary (or its predecessor Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill). These would be treated as multiple smaller (~400-500,000) units when in fact the reality on the ground is that they operate more like a single large city. Other, more well-known examples would be Minneapolis-St.Paul and Dallas-Ft.Worth.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: December 28, 2012, 04:53:02 pm »

Or the Five Boroughs of New York City.

Frankly, maybe the whole state idea is outdated. It made sense in 1800 when political divisions were across state lines. Not so much now; a political subdivision of the New York City metro area as itself makes much more sense than New York State.

Maybe we should divide the country into new "states", each of which has a major metro area as an anchor?

Also, Jervill, Dave's Redistricting crashes for me.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:56:02 pm by dhokarena56 »

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10482 on: December 28, 2012, 04:57:06 pm »

Damn, it's a useful program when it runs.  I can't get it to run on my new machine, either.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: December 28, 2012, 06:15:52 pm »

Why does everyone want NYC to be a state? I like upstate. It's like the farming-based territorial holdings. Although we could annex parts of jersey
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: December 28, 2012, 09:27:58 pm »

I'd be done with being annexed by New York. Connecticut and New Jersey are basically colonial satellites at this point.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 714