Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677364 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #780 on: January 18, 2016, 10:49:42 am »

Stellaris Dev Diary #17 - Ship Designer

"This week we will talk about the Ship Designer. Last week we said that this week would be about “War, Peace, Influence and Claims”, but due to some really good (and secret) reasons we have decided to postpone that Dev Diary for a later date."
Oh well.  ::)

Some interesting stuff:
"For military ships, you can also set what combat computer to use on the ship, which affects how they behave in combat. Different combat computers can be unlocked by technologies."
"Every ship consists of at least one section that you can place different components on ... Some sections also have a hangar slot, but more on those in a later dev diary..." -> Fighters?
"In the mid and late game you may also use the designer to customize your military defense stations and make sure that noone will ever be able to penetrate your solar system defenses."

Next week: "Next week we will talk about fleet combat in Stellaris!"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:04:56 am by gimli »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 18, 2016, 09:13:08 pm »

We also have some required components depending on the class of ship you are trying to build. One of the basics is what FTL capability your ship has, so you may build some ships with warp and others with wormhole FTL. It is, however, only possible to have ships with the same type of FTL in the same fleet.
It's kind of disappointing to hear that it works like this. Previously it sounded like the FTL was going to have three different paradigms, and wormholes were generated by free-floating things in space, not part of your ship. It would have been nice if we weren't forced into such a narrow paradigm, and the idea of an ultimate endgame ship being able to use all three was cool in its own right. Being unable to group together ships with different FTL seems like a meta/micromanagement way to discourage the use of multiple types of FTL as well.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 18, 2016, 09:25:48 pm »

Well... the ship designer makes me think of swords of the stars 2... dont know if i am that happy bout it.... Man when will we see something like space empire ship designer? or other game wich seem to be much more freeform in module usage etc. Hell i LOVED star ruler way to handle ship building... man i really wish it would come back in the futur.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 18, 2016, 10:34:16 pm »

Well... the ship designer makes me think of swords of the stars 2... dont know if i am that happy bout it.... Man when will we see something like space empire ship designer? or other game wich seem to be much more freeform in module usage etc. Hell i LOVED star ruler way to handle ship building... man i really wish it would come back in the futur.

Frankly, Star Ruler's ship designer is what really made the game great. Such a shame to see it go to waste... I have yet to see another game rival it.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 19, 2016, 03:10:37 am »

I don't mind the split of ftl styles. It should give different strategic approaches to the player on attack and defense, as well as making randomly generated aliens feel more "unique".

Capturing ships or reverse engineering their drives hasn't been entirely ruled out, but I wouldn't even mind if it was.

It also lets your own race feel special, giving an outlook and worldview simply by the way they travel. In xenophobic warmongering style, of course.
It's a game. Have fun.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 19, 2016, 03:19:17 am »

I assume that wormhole ships will be, ton for ton, superior to other ship types as they won't waste space and energy to FTL drives. (Assuming the gate stations just open wormholes for them and otherwise they just putter around STL.) At least I hope so since it will open interesting strategic options, both as wormholist (heh) and when fighting against them.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:35 am »

I think that came up in one of the dev diaries before. The gate stations just open a wormhole towards the target system. They don't need to link up with another station in the target system to do so.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 19, 2016, 10:06:36 am »

I think that came up in one of the dev diaries before. The gate stations just open a wormhole towards the target system. They don't need to link up with another station in the target system to do so.
That's how I remember it.

I also seem to remember an implication that enemy ships could go through, yeah, and I'm really curious as to how that might be implemented.  Better keep those gate-hubs secure!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 19, 2016, 11:36:20 am »

Frankly, Star Ruler's ship designer is what really made the game great. Such a shame to see it go to waste... I have yet to see another game rival it.

True, it would be awesome to have a ship builder system like that in Stellaris, but the chance to have something like this in an expansion is like....zero. It would be enormous work to make the necessary changes.
Perhaps they will consider it for Stellaris 2.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:38:40 am by gimli »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 19, 2016, 02:51:00 pm »

I think the focus is too different, Star Ruler was all about massive armadas duking it out. Stellaris seems a little more well-rounded in it's approach to galactic conquest. I mean heck, if you felt like it you could go full KOTOR in Star Ruler and design massive Star Forges that harvested suns and asteroids to churn out swarms of robotic fighers and whole fleets of battleships controlled by advanced A.I.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 19, 2016, 07:25:08 pm »

I think the focus is too different, Star Ruler was all about massive armadas duking it out. Stellaris seems a little more well-rounded in it's approach to galactic conquest. I mean heck, if you felt like it you could go full KOTOR in Star Ruler and design massive Star Forges that harvested suns and asteroids to churn out swarms of robotic fighers and whole fleets of battleships controlled by advanced A.I.
You could?

I always got super pissed off at the Newtonian physics that I never bothered to play through Star Ruler.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 19, 2016, 07:33:10 pm »

I always got super pissed off at the Newtonian physics that I never bothered to play through Star Ruler.
*I* always got super pissed at JUST. NOT. SUCCEEDING. EVER.
Star Ruler was a game I WANTED to like, but the basics of the bloody system hurt my brain so much that I lost 100% of the time to trivial A.I.

Also the ship design was kinda shit because you were ALWAYS horrifically limited in how much space you could use.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 19, 2016, 08:42:25 pm »

I like how generous MoO2 was with space (hur).  Starting out with 2-3 energy beams, then endgame ships have like hundreds and various fun subsystems.  Particularly if you use older components that have been automatically "miniaturized" by progress in that field.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 19, 2016, 09:10:02 pm »

You could?

You could, I once forgot to turn off automated production and ended up with 3,000 extra fighters in a backwater world once troubled by pirates.

*I* always got super pissed at JUST. NOT. SUCCEEDING. EVER.
Star Ruler was a game I WANTED to like, but the basics of the bloody system hurt my brain so much that I lost 100% of the time to trivial A.I.

Also the ship design was kinda shit because you were ALWAYS horrifically limited in how much space you could use.

Different strokes for different folks, but it seemed rather balanced to me. Do you really want to be able to just make your ship perfect at everything? Even with the current system you could make insanely powerful ships.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 25, 2016, 10:24:08 am »

Stellaris Dev Diary #18 - Fleet Combat

It looks impressive!  8)
PS.
Fighters have been confirmed!

"Strike crafts are different from the other weapon types since they are actually smaller ships that leave their mothership. Cruisers and Battleships can in some cases have a Hangar weapon slot available, in which you may place a type of strike craft. Currently, we have two types of craft; fighters and bombers. Fighters will fire upon ships, missiles and other strike craft. Bombers however may not fire on other strike craft or missiles, but they will do more damage than fighters against capital ships. Point-defense weapons can detect incoming missiles and strike-crafts and shoot them down. These weapons may also damage hostile ships, if they are close enough, but will do significantly less damage against those."

PPS.
Ohhh I like this!:

"It is very possible that your fleet might end up in combat with multiple fleets. This means that you can have a combat with three different empires that are all hostile to each other. To help you keep track of everything that happens we have a combat view, which will appear as soon as a combat is initiated. This view will list you (and any other friendlies or neutrals) on the left side and every hostile on the right side. The combat view is currently being reworked, so you will get to see that interface at a later date, but the idea is to provide you with crucial feedback on how effective your weapons and defenses are."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:28:18 am by gimli »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 632