Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677335 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2880 on: June 20, 2016, 10:06:51 am »

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: June 20, 2016, 01:39:54 pm »

Asimov should improve things, yeah, though it seems like Asimov is just the patch to fix some of the more egregious holes that couldn't be quick-fixed. I'm really interested in Heinlein - especially the strategic resource overhaul. Hopefully some form of trade comes with it.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: June 20, 2016, 09:04:31 pm »

The amount of negativity from you guys is quite amazing. Did you wade in expecting a pure 4X or a pure Paradox grand strategy and were disappointed because it is neither? Not baiting, I'm genuinely curious.
I went in knowing the design goals of the game, but hoping for it to be polished and high quality. That's not where it was at release. I expected that, but I was still surprised by the degree to which it was true.

Reviews for the game are still universally positive
This is objectively false.
and many players enjoy the game even now, while looking forward to new things instead of feeling the game is currently utterly crippled. Yet there is a small and vocal portion who seem to think Stellaris raped their mom
You're being disingenuous. People who criticize Stellaris are people that find it at least partly enjoyable and who want the new things to improve it. Saying it is heavily flawed now is not the same as saying it shouldn't be fixed. In fact, it's the opposite of that.[/quote]

I guess what I'm saying is, Stellaris lends itself well to spoken or written diplomacy. The actual diplomacy system is mostly just there to allow you to interact with AI players, not humans.
Compare this to Paradox's previous work, where diplomacy is a substantial part of the meat of the game.

Is the honeymoon over?
I'm not playing the game until September, though life circumstances are influencing that even more than the unsatisfactory state of the game. I'd probably give it a serious go again after Asimov otherwise.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: June 20, 2016, 09:09:44 pm »

What is kind of sad for me...

Is this is STILL one of the best Space 4x games I ever played... featuring a LOT of the content that is usually expected of that genre (even if it is often in a dinky manner).

But then again... the 4x space games are usually... pretty bland and boring. So this game weasels into my top 5 via no competition.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: June 20, 2016, 10:13:27 pm »

What is kind of sad for me...

Is this is STILL one of the best Space 4x games I ever played... featuring a LOT of the content that is usually expected of that genre (even if it is often in a dinky manner).

But then again... the 4x space games are usually... pretty bland and boring. So this game weasels into my top 5 via no competition.
Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel too. I don't think Stellaris is a phenomenal game -- not yet -- but it's one of the most engaging 4X games I've played anyway. It needs more mechanics, more depth, more complexity -- but it's a deeper game than most of its competition as-is. It's certainly deeper than GalCiv 3, Endless Space, Masters of Orion, et al. Distant Worlds and Aurora are on a different level, but Stellaris can probably reach DW after it gets a few meaty expansions.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: June 20, 2016, 10:41:15 pm »

Stellaris has pretty good story generator capabilities.
I want to get it two years later, when all dlcs will be in.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: June 21, 2016, 02:29:22 am »

At this point I'm just patiently waiting in the bedroom while she does her hair.

LoL more like she went straight out of the bathroom and looking at me in the eyes said - "no bjs till I'm fifty"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2887 on: June 21, 2016, 11:03:43 am »

Battleship Class Weapons. Some Battleship front sections will be repurposed for an XL size weapon slot. There are currently four ship sizes but only three sizes to weapons, creating an imbalance. Also, Battleships should have fewer small weapon slots and have to rely on screens of smaller ships.
Fuck, part of the great fun of battleships is building up capital doomfleets without corvettes buzzing around :<

Living Solar Systems: Little civilian ships moving around, etc.
Little graphical things like that really make the cake

At this point I'm just patiently waiting in the bedroom while she does her hair.
LoL more like she went straight out of the bathroom and looking at me in the eyes said - "no bjs till I'm fifty"
"Goodbye Stellaris, I'm going to see another game."
Then fifty years later the spark is reignited in horrendous, expensive OAP romance, after all the scars have been patched

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: June 21, 2016, 11:33:54 am »

It's like you met this girl on a dating site and you two seemed to hit it off really well. From her pictures she looked super fit and she seemed to carry herself off well. Not to mention you got to talk to her friends and they made you think she was great. When you decide to meet however, turns out she doesn't have money for the cab fare to get there so after some hesitation you decide to just pay for that.

She arrives. She looks pretty but she's shallow and extremely materialistic. You get the feeling she's not all there. She's fun to be with at first, but soon you realize two things. One, she seems to be just repeating what people have said before. Two, she's actually only 14-years-old. You were just completely bedazzled initially by her looks to notice.

So after an awkward first conta- meeting, you finally drop her back off at her place. You're feeling a bit regretful at the whole affair and kinda want your cab fare back (along with the other expenses she managed to accrue along the way). The door opens and 'lo and behold. Her dad is there. It's motherfucking Crusader Kings II. He's shirtless, abs glistening with sweat like he just finished another exhilarating workout. Hair parted in that perfect way that accentuates his perfect face. his eyes brimming with the spark and wisdom of age. He smiles a bit at you, knowingly with a dash of smugness that comes across as just beautiful in every way. There are a few scars on his chest which mark the signs of his intense battle to get to where he is. His hand decorated with the blood of the heathen. His magnificent DEUS VULT under the towel that he greets you in, huge in size and bursting with... DLC.

You take another look at Stellaris. She eyes you coquettishly, though you can't help but remind yourself how young she is, especially when compared to her father.

You realize what she might be when she becomes an adult, her pedigree might take her far.

But for now, you toss Stellaris into the bushes and jump into the arms of Crusader Kings II.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2889 on: June 21, 2016, 11:36:02 am »

It's like you met this girl on a dating site and you two seemed to hit it off really well. From her pictures she looked super fit and she seemed to carry herself off well. Not to mention you got to talk to her friends and they made you think she was great. When you decide to meet however, turns out she doesn't have money for the cab fare to get there so after some hesitation you decide to just pay for that.

She arrives. She looks pretty but she's shallow and extremely materialistic. You get the feeling she's not all there. She's fun to be with at first, but soon you realize two things. One, she seems to be just repeating what people have said before. Two, she's actually only 14-years-old. You were just completely bedazzled initially by her looks to notice.

So after an awkward first conta- meeting, you finally drop her back off at her place. You're feeling a bit regretful at the whole affair and kinda want your cab fare back (along with the other expenses she managed to accrue along the way). The door opens and 'lo and behold. Her dad is there. It's motherfucking Crusader Kings II. He's shirtless, abs glistening with sweat like he just finished another exhilarating workout. Hair parted in that perfect way that accentuates his perfect face. his eyes brimming with the spark and wisdom of age. He smiles a bit at you, knowingly with a dash of smugness that comes across as just beautiful in every way. There are a few scars on his chest which mark the signs of his intense battle to get to where he is. His hand decorated with the blood of the heathen. His magnificent DEUS VULT under the towel that he greets you in, huge in size and bursting with... DLC.

You take another look at Stellaris. She eyes you coquettishly, though you can't help but remind yourself how young she is, especially when compared to her father.

You realize what she might be when she becomes an adult, her pedigree might take her far.

But for now, you toss Stellaris into the bushes and jump into the arms of Crusader Kings II.
10/10

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: June 21, 2016, 11:47:47 am »

Looks like Crusader kings just went into umiman's quarters and gave him a good tumble.

Its good to be (crusader) king.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: June 21, 2016, 11:57:23 am »

Spoiler: mfw (click to show/hide)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: June 21, 2016, 12:15:16 pm »

wtf

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: June 21, 2016, 12:20:04 pm »

I'm so happy I read that
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: June 21, 2016, 12:27:45 pm »

9 months later umiman gave birth to a beautiful mod but CKII refused to acknowledge paternity.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 632