Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678675 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4095 on: January 20, 2017, 12:24:36 pm »

"Half-Vulcan Science Officer Spock"

the game is (was?) trying to take after Star Trek after all...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: January 20, 2017, 02:27:15 pm »

I'm pretty happy about the addition of consumer goods for a reason that the dev diary didn't touch on: Right now, if you max happiness, that's it, you're good. So lots of happiness bonuses don't matter. With the consumer goods system, you can get lots of happiness bonuses and decrease standard of living, allowing (for example) religious ascetics who can pour all their resources into productive things.

Eh, Aurora has Orbital Habitats and it's free.  I'm betting the Orbital Habitats will be DLC-only.

EDIT: And where are my Sex Slaves?
I'm not betting that. Anything that they want to build on in the future is free update. Orbital habitats seem likely to qualify.

And "Domestic Servitude" can include sex if you're into that.

EDIT: And where are my Sex Slaves?
Domestic Servants probably include slutty tentacled maids.

I doubt it.  The game doesn't simulate Hybrids yet.
Just because you can't reproduce doesn't mean you can't have sex. It just means that it's unnatural and likely to be frowned upon by certain aspects of society. See for example in real life: Sodomy, bestiality, pedophilia.

Still don't get how hybrids are softer, if humans and chimps can't have kids while evolving on the same planet, I doubt Humans and Space Fox/Cat/Racoon can with the whole totally different star system bit.
"Soft" in this context means "not based on hard science". And hard, there, means there's a solid body of research and thought which implies that it's possible. Hybridization between species that are not only from widely different taxa but also from different origins of life is very much not a phenomenon with a solid foundation in real science. Thus, "soft".

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: January 20, 2017, 04:12:40 pm »

While I don't think Paradox will ever venture into scifi, Dune in CK2-like mechanics would be amazing.

I'd like to point out how ironic this post is with Stellaris out.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: January 20, 2017, 04:18:01 pm »

While that's a nice burn, I'd love a CK2-style Dune...

Also, I'm sorry for claiming that this game would die soon.  I was in a weird place, also drunk- fact is, I apologize.  I didn't mean it...  In fact, by being distinct from EU, this could be the next CK or better.
I just grew up on fascinating space 4X and was disappointed by modern ones.  So I'm bitter.  Haven't played this one, and I'll wait.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: January 20, 2017, 04:33:29 pm »

Also, I'm sorry for claiming that this game would die soon.  I was in a weird place, also drunk- fact is, I apologize.  I didn't mean it...  In fact, by being distinct from EU, this could be the next CK or better.
I just grew up on fascinating space 4X and was disappointed by modern ones.  So I'm bitter.  Haven't played this one, and I'll wait.

I'm having fun with it despite its flaws. More than I have a space 4x in quite a while.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: January 20, 2017, 07:36:31 pm »

Reality interjecting, two species on the same planet can't reproduce and form offspring a lot of the time (Close relatives usually can, there's a thing to get the theory of evolution updated since different, but related, species have been found to interbreed and produce fertile offspring, allowing gene transfer across species). How in the hell would a species with a probably VASTLY different biology produce a viable child with, say a human?
We are talking about a game where Jedi use warp drive to land robot space marines supported by clone commandos on an alien planet in order to occupy it long enough to justify a different planet being liberated as a puppet state. I agree natural hybrids would be considerably softer than most of the game's current stuff already is, but it is and always has been more space opera than realistic.

It could probably fit in cleaner as a policy option (or right/responsibility, once Banks hits) or moddable-only species trait, I suppose. Somewhat in parallel with reality, I imagine making actual, discrete hybrid pops would be prohibitively obnoxious to implement in game, though.

Mechanically, Hybrids would have to be treated as their own species, since the game tracks population by species.  Creating Hybrids would have to, most likely, open up the species creator, assign points, and produce an outcome.  It is totally doable, and correctly reflects the above realizations that tons of gene therapy would be necessary to produce viable offspring from two different, and alien, species.  And it should still give a ~50% chance of the new species having the Sterile Trait, which either removes all natural growth (they'd be like Robot populations).

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: January 20, 2017, 09:04:01 pm »

Creating Hybrids would have to, most likely, open up the species creator, assign points, and produce an outcome.  It is totally doable, and correctly reflects the above realizations that tons of gene therapy would be necessary to produce viable offspring from two different, and alien, species.  And it should still give a ~50% chance of the new species having the Sterile Trait, which either removes all natural growth (they'd be like Robot populations).

Also possible is an event chain that has some private citizens creating a random 'hybrid' with various chances of success, and with related empires expressing their opinions on the matter. Good way to have a random event generate inter-empire friction.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: January 20, 2017, 09:57:06 pm »

If you've waited this long anyway, definitely wait for the next update since it'll address a lot of the problems that the game launched with. But it's not an old-fashioned 4x at all, even if it's also quite dissimilar from other modern ones. Despite using a few of the shallow paradigms that are ubiquitous in 4x (e.g. "tall" is supposed to be a viable playstyle) it dodges or only partially sticks to some of the worst ones, like symmetrical starts.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: January 20, 2017, 10:53:16 pm »

If you've waited this long anyway, definitely wait for the next update since it'll address a lot of the problems that the game launched with. But it's not an old-fashioned 4x at all, even if it's also quite dissimilar from other modern ones. Despite using a few of the shallow paradigms that are ubiquitous in 4x (e.g. "tall" is supposed to be a viable playstyle) it dodges or only partially sticks to some of the worst ones, like symmetrical starts.

Well...the player always starts with the same start, so it still has that flaw from most 4x games (that was not the case with CK or EU).

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: January 21, 2017, 06:14:47 am »

Well...the player always starts with the same start, so it still has that flaw from most 4x games (that was not the case with CK or EU).

Kinda, you can select how many advanced start AI opponents you want though. You can theoretically have yourself as a small upcoming nation surrounded by all big players. However it's just not viable like in CK2/EU, as it still comes back to the problem that there's nothing really to do that isn't war. Until they get trade, characters and espionage in, you're basically limited to just warfare which doesn't work for small civs.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: January 21, 2017, 01:33:11 pm »

Kinda, you can select how many advanced start AI opponents you want though. You can theoretically have yourself as a small upcoming nation surrounded by all big players. However it's just not viable like in CK2/EU, as it still comes back to the problem that there's nothing really to do that isn't war. Until they get trade, characters and espionage in, you're basically limited to just warfare which doesn't work for small civs.
And it's impossible to play a "castille game" where you're pretty big and powerful but still have interesting things to do.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: January 21, 2017, 05:14:42 pm »

And it's impossible to play a "castille game" where you're pretty big and powerful but still have interesting things to do.

It thrives most when you get the bad end of the stick- for example,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4107 on: January 21, 2017, 08:19:26 pm »

It thrives most when you get the bad end of the stick- for example,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is amazing.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: January 23, 2017, 11:49:09 am »

Hmmm, I think that the patch name for 1.5 just became even more appropriate. Ping
Now, if we can build them away from planets as well...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4109 on: January 23, 2017, 11:57:29 am »

Reworked ethics/factions, ascension system, and orbital habitats. This patch is sounding pretty good. Granted some of those will be paid features but hey that is their model.
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 632