Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678454 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4320 on: February 23, 2017, 01:48:19 pm »

It could even be an event chain similar to AI rebellion, "5 Drones on Gygax Prime have ceased obeying your psionic directive, send a science ship to investigate" and have it evolve into something like a new hive-level consciousness have arisen spontaneously due to the distance from the homeworld and it is attempting to subvert local drones, etc.
Thanks for ruining the surprise.  >:( Now Paradox will have to come up with a new twist.  :P
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: February 23, 2017, 01:48:59 pm »

It could even be an event chain similar to AI rebellion, "5 Drones on Gygax Prime have ceased obeying your psionic directive, send a science ship to investigate" and have it evolve into something like a new hive-level consciousness have arisen spontaneously due to the distance from the homeworld and it is attempting to subvert local drones, etc.
Thanks for ruining the surprise.  >:( Now Paradox will have to come up with a new twist.  :P
"No, player, you are the renegade hivemind."  And then player was the renegade hivemind.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: February 23, 2017, 01:59:35 pm »

"No, player, you are the renegade hivemind."  And then player was the renegade hivemind.
Awaken my child and embrace the glory that is your birthright?

PTTG: I was thinking more along the lines of Orcs and Gobbos which kinda go in reverse of what the Syncretic Evolution thing implies. But you could have any number of combinations and you could still justify it somehow. It's boring to have it be forced in one form. Not that it matters since mods will fix this anyway.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: February 23, 2017, 02:07:09 pm »

Honestly, that actually makes sense. A hive mind has no real government structure, just itself. A non-connected species that is ruled by the hive will need to have its own government structure under the hive, even if its people were completely integrated in the hive civilization. And without access to the hive's own network, participating in the economy directly would be very tough. Enclaves only make sense at that point.

I'm not really sure I follow this, why non politically active pops in a hive mind need their own governing structure especially compared to say, non politically active pops in some other autocratic society. The economy question is more interesting, but it's hardly an impossible question to answer, whether it ranges from some communistic arrangement (along with possibly a black or grey market that runs without the hiveminds involvement) to the building of an economy within the empire to accommodate the pops (especially in a xenophile style hivemind with many, maybe even most, of their pops being non hive mind aliens). The answer to these questions could be some very cool content even, as your hivemind first meets and then must come to decisions on how to deal with populations of sentient non hive mind creatures. "Purge them." and "Make them into separate vassal states" are both valid options, but they are not the only (Logical, gameplay wise they seems to be) ones.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4324 on: February 23, 2017, 02:35:49 pm »

Awaken my child and embrace the glory that is your birthright?

Good point.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: February 23, 2017, 03:31:53 pm »

People seem to forget that vassals already exist.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: February 23, 2017, 05:52:41 pm »

Good point.
Counterpoint.
(Though I usually go full transhuman or sometimes corporatism, I always gained respect for Miriam here)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:44:29 am by Ultimuh »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: February 27, 2017, 09:54:41 am »

edit: Utopia (and most likely Banks (1.5)) has a release date now.
You should've made a new post, editing doesn't bump a thread to the first page.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: February 27, 2017, 10:07:50 am »

edit: Utopia (and most likely Banks (1.5)) has a release date now.
You should've made a new post, editing doesn't bump a thread to the first page.
Well I hate to double post.
And I figured someone else would eventually bump it any ways. (I was right!  :o )
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:47:38 am by Ultimuh »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4330 on: February 27, 2017, 11:22:46 am »

Exactly where the rumors suggested, early april. Excited

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: February 27, 2017, 11:51:03 am »

The "rumors" have been at "a little over a month from now" for like a month and a half already, though.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: February 27, 2017, 11:53:53 am »

The "rumors" have been at "a little over a month from now" for like a month and a half already, though.
Close enough.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4333 on: February 27, 2017, 01:23:49 pm »

Nah, last few weeks Reddit started talking about a date found in some metadata on the steam page which was supposedly early august

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: February 27, 2017, 02:54:13 pm »

Dammit, over a month?

I want to play Stellaris! I can now, but I want it with the new features!

Break into the Paradox offices to play the dev version? Seems to me that's the only logical course of action.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 632