Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677389 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5655 on: January 03, 2018, 02:04:29 pm »

So, there's been a new Dev Diary (Link).  Thoughts?

Also, the game is on sale, at a percentage that buying the base game (not either of the special editions), Leviathans Story Pack, Utopia, and Synthetic Dawn is about $5 above the base price for the game.
I mean, they're not bad changes, but it's a bit like polishing a turd. I was hoping for a much larger overhaul of the ground combat system. The fact that they went less complicated and cut features instead of seeing the features through to their fullest conclusion is disappointing but sadly consistent with the general thrust of Stellaris development.

They are already overhauling a ton of stuff, and your reaction is 'they aren't doing enough'?  They kinda have to get an update out at some point.
The game has been out - not in development or early access, but actually out - for more than a year and a half. If they've taken this long to address a system that's clearly inadequate, they might as well take the time to do it right instead of replacing a system fit only to be a stopgap placeholder with an incrementally improved stopgap placeholder.

As for cutting features, they kinda seem to be streamlining to have a better ability to expand the game. 
Repeating something but with added buzzwords isn't really a meaningful thing to do.
Just look at how much was opened up by just limiting things to hyperlanes.
Are you sure you shouldn't look yourself, instead of being told? Wiz has reasons, yes, but they break down if you examine them while thinking critically and considering what has been done well in other games. There's more justification there than just pulling a feature because he decided it wasn't worth building new UI for a mechanic that very clearly needs help anyway, but it's still pretty damn questionable whether it's a good decision.

And looking at the other reactions, was there really a point to keeping the old army system as it stood?  Hell, this one could potentially be expanded to a greater degree of customization with the potential addition of different fortress paths to provide defensive armies with different focuses, with one type going for quantity provided, another for boosting damage, another for boosting health, and those latter two could be split into specializing in different ways (ie. one expands morale more than health which can be useful for fighting off psi empires) while being a hell of a lot more condensed than it would be on an army screen.
Please feel free to explain how these are mutually exclusive with attachments, particularly on assault armies.

It is stated in the Dev diary that there will be multiple tiers of fortress.  If each increases the amount of unity, then why would you not build them instead of autochation monuments?  Granted, if you are playing Spiritualist it is slightly more of a tradeoff, but still.
It's also stated that they give a small amount. That being the case, why would you prefer them over dedicated unity buildings if you don't need the defense?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:50:39 pm by Cruxador »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: January 03, 2018, 02:53:27 pm »

Its simple and yes, streamlined, but compared to before, sounds positive. 
Sure, it ain't super optimal... but as long as you are feasibly able to build death traps for any xeno scum that tries to get into the heartland of your empire, I'm all for it.

Assault Army Management
A major aim of our changes to armies is to reduce the amount of unnecessary micromanagement of armies. For this reason, and to make Assault Armies' role more explicit, we have decided to change Assault Armies to always be based in space. Whenever not directly engaged in an invasion, Assault Armies will now always automatically embark onto their transports, ready to be used to invade another world.

Though, I wonder about having assault armies sitting in transports 100% of the time they are not attacking a planet.  Sounds like super easy pickings...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: January 03, 2018, 02:57:03 pm »

They changed that shortly after the Dev Diary but didn't change the content. Here's where a Dev mentioned it on Twitter. So you can garrison with offensive armies. Just not very effectively.

Again. They've changed that since the Dev Diary. You can garrison assault armies on planets once again. They won't be the best as garrison forces but at least you can stuff as many as you want on a planet for safe keeping or whatever.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: January 03, 2018, 03:05:10 pm »

Well, still vulnerable, but is step up from insta-dead vulnerable I guess?  Probably a total loss anyways if you can't retake the air space.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5659 on: January 03, 2018, 03:10:12 pm »

So, there's been a new Dev Diary (Link).  Thoughts?

Also, the game is on sale, at a percentage that buying the base game (not either of the special editions), Leviathans Story Pack, Utopia, and Synthetic Dawn is about $5 above the base price for the game.
I don't like splitting armies from being able to garrison land. Collateral damage is moist, and I approve wholly, I just don't think it goes nearly far enough but I can fix that with modding (I remember suggesting a long while back how cool it would be for psionics to win with barely any collateral damage, while xenomorphs consumed everyone). Armageddon bombing finally does what it says on the tin, I have no idea why the hell they got rid of full bombardment or locked indiscriminate to >5. I find it par the course that instead of simply having army equipment templates they cut out additions altogether. The issue remains that defending a planet is altogether impossible and pointless once the war in the void is lost, I was really hoping that armies would instead have to fight tile to tile, and some planet terrains would actually affect how the campaign unfolded. There isn't really any reason why you'd want to build more Fortresses for non-rp reasons rather than build more industry to construct more ships. Oh wait lol, you get penalized for outnumbering the enemy, nvm. Build more tech instead.
The game has pops. Why not tie pops to military in a more meaningful way? Like 5 pops = 1 army, so choosing which planets to garrison is more important?

All in all, give it another 8-12 years, Stellaris II might be better than this

They changed that shortly after the Dev Diary but didn't change the content. Here's where a Dev mentioned it on Twitter. So you can garrison with offensive armies. Just not very effectively.
Again. They've changed that since the Dev Diary. You can garrison assault armies on planets once again. They won't be the best as garrison forces but at least you can stuff as many as you want on a planet for safe keeping or whatever.
Oh that's cool again. Also hak hak hak

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: January 03, 2018, 04:33:31 pm »

They are already overhauling a ton of stuff, and your reaction is 'they aren't doing enough'?  They kinda have to get an update out at some point.
The game has been out - not in development or early access, but actually out - for more than a year and a half. If they've taken this long to address a system that's clearly inadequate, they might as well take the time to do it right instead of replacing a system fit only to be a stopgap placeholder with an incrementally improved stopgap placeholder.

Games are so often under a continuous development state and the definitions of early access and released are so stretched at this point that I'm of the opinion games are not finished anymore, there's just a point where the developers stop working on it.  As such, your argument here really doesn't work on me.

Just look at how much was opened up by just limiting things to hyperlanes.
Are you sure you shouldn't look yourself, instead of being told? Wiz has reasons, yes, but they break down if you examine them while thinking critically and considering what has been done well in other games. There's more justification there than just pulling a feature because he decided it wasn't worth building new UI for a mechanic that very clearly needs help anyway, but it's still pretty damn questionable whether it's a good decision.

I've played games of warp, hyperlane, and wormhole, and of them all, hyperlane provides the most strategic play with fortifying.  Other two just boil down into fortify home systems, with wormholes addiing a basic fortify systems with your stations.  Hyperlanes, by contrast, allow for you to build up layers of fortifications that you know they actually have to go through and deal with in order to reach your systems, and the switch to require you to go over to the jump point that really could only be done with hyperlanes just allows for these static defenses to be more effective.  Sure they could have programmed in something that would make the defense in depth viable for warp and wormhole, but given those were already increasing lag and doing that would increase it much further, the limited paths just make more sense.

And looking at the other reactions, was there really a point to keeping the old army system as it stood?  Hell, this one could potentially be expanded to a greater degree of customization with the potential addition of different fortress paths to provide defensive armies with different focuses, with one type going for quantity provided, another for boosting damage, another for boosting health, and those latter two could be split into specializing in different ways (ie. one expands morale more than health which can be useful for fighting off psi empires) while being a hell of a lot more condensed than it would be on an army screen.
Please feel free to explain how these are mutually exclusive with attachments, particularly on assault armies.

Sure they probably could have kept around attachments, but upgrading a building is quite simply easier to find and it would be two clicks for five armies rather than having to perform a ton of clinks on each army to do the same thing that as evidenced most don't focus on.  Could be an argument for bringing them back for assault armies, I can admit.

It is stated in the Dev diary that there will be multiple tiers of fortress.  If each increases the amount of unity, then why would you not build them instead of autochation monuments?  Granted, if you are playing Spiritualist it is slightly more of a tradeoff, but still.
It's also stated that they give a small amount. That being the case, why would you prefer them over dedicated unity buildings if you don't need the defense?

If it doesn't give you an equal amount of unity, then its a tradeoff based on whether you want defense or more unity.  I don't see any problem with that.

Collateral damage is moist, and I approve wholly, I just don't think it goes nearly far enough but I can fix that with modding (I remember suggesting a long while back how cool it would be for psionics to win with barely any collateral damage, while xenomorphs consumed everyone).

As for how limited it is, I think they initially want to see how things go with this baseline change before they really go nuts with it.  I personally await planetside defenses that cause attrition to enemy ships in orbit so long as they have a population on them.

Armageddon bombing finally does what it says on the tin, I have no idea why the hell they got rid of full bombardment or locked indiscriminate to >5.

From what I can tell, full doesn't prevent the destruction of all the buildings, it just prevents the destruction of the last five populations.  Basically consider the difference as being that Armageddon seeks to kill everyone while Indiscriminate misses some people as it focuses on the buildings.

The issue remains that defending a planet is altogether impossible and pointless once the war in the void is lost, I was really hoping that armies would instead have to fight tile to tile, and some planet terrains would actually affect how the campaign unfolded. There isn't really any reason why you'd want to build more Fortresses for non-rp reasons rather than build more industry to construct more ships. Oh wait lol, you get penalized for outnumbering the enemy, nvm. Build more tech instead.

Get enough defensive armies on a planet with an FTL inhibitor, you could lock down an enemy fleet in one system for months to years.

And FFS, the bonus to outnumbered isn't enough to win battles, all it does is get the smaller side able to get a little bit more damage in than before and would help out an empire that gets screwed by the RNG to be able to do something against a larger force.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: January 03, 2018, 04:50:53 pm »

Can't remember, is outnumbered based on ship count physical, fleet power, or fleet cap?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: January 03, 2018, 05:00:29 pm »

Can't remember, is outnumbered based on ship count physical, fleet power, or fleet cap?

Pretty sure it was combined fleet power of all the fleets on both sides.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: January 03, 2018, 05:07:57 pm »

Games are so often under a continuous development state and the definitions of early access and released are so stretched at this point that I'm of the opinion games are not finished anymore, there's just a point where the developers stop working on it.  As such, your argument here really doesn't work on me.
This is a side note, but I don't think any creative endeavor is really finished in a sense different from the creators ceasing to work on it further. Additional refinement is always possible, and so "done" is an arbitrary thing. None of this has any real bearing on what I actually said, though. The specific time and classification are merely ways to illustrate the core of the issue: Given that it's been broken for a long time, we can wait a bit longer to get a proper fix/enhancement instead of an incremental improvement.

If it doesn't give you an equal amount of unity, then its a tradeoff based on whether you want defense or more unity.  I don't see any problem with that.
I don't either, but if you don't then what was the point of your response to Culise on this matter in the first place?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5664 on: January 03, 2018, 05:46:27 pm »

As for how limited it is, I think they initially want to see how things go with this baseline change before they really go nuts with it.  I personally await planetside defenses that cause attrition to enemy ships in orbit so long as they have a population on them.
inb4 planetside dlc

From what I can tell, full doesn't prevent the destruction of all the buildings, it just prevents the destruction of the last five populations.  Basically consider the difference as being that Armageddon seeks to kill everyone while Indiscriminate misses some people as it focuses on the buildings.
There is no full bombardment. They're getting rid of it.
Right now we have:
Light bombardment - Military targets only, civilian collateral actively avoided.
Limited bombardment - Carpet bombing military targets, without regard for infrastructure damage. However, only light ship weapons are used, minimizing disruption to civilians
Full bombardment - Unleash every weapon in orbit upon the planet, guaranteeing elimination of military fortifications without regard to civilian casualties
Armageddon bombardment - Unleash every weapon in orbit upon the planet, actively pursuing all inhabited centres

At least that's the description for each. In reality it's more like:
Light bombardment - No one dies, no one's buildings will be smashed, planet will be cleared slowly
Limited bombardment - No one dies, no one's buildings will be smashed, planet will be cleared slowly
Full bombardment - You might ruin a building, planet will be cleared quickly
Armageddon bombardment - You'll get two pops max, but planet fortification will be cleared pronto

Planned:
Selective - Deals collateral damage, last 10 pops invincible
Indiscriminate - Blows up buildings, last 5 pops invincible
Armageddon - Purifiers and Exterminators only, no pops invincible

So basically they've condensed full and light. So there's no more light, and full & limited both got nerfed to have invincible pops. So if you bombard a planet with plasma lances for 5000 years there will always be 5 pops chilling there

Get enough defensive armies on a planet with an FTL inhibitor, you could lock down an enemy fleet in one system for months to years.
If it's capable of holding back a clever AI or just prethoryn levels of offensive army spam for years, or decades, that's be pretty moisturizing. If it's just a speedbump for a few months it's really not worth it, the fleet blowing up your planet is just going to move onto your next planet full of dudes. I think this will definitely be something that will be fun to mod to extremes, like having 40k tier bullshit Fortress worlds that can take in waves and waves of prethoryn for centuries.

And FFS, the bonus to outnumbered isn't enough to win battles, all it does is get the smaller side able to get a little bit more damage in than before and would help out an empire that gets screwed by the RNG to be able to do something against a larger force.
m8 you do see how it's an inherently stupid idea right?
Why is an inferior force increasing its fighting capabilities the weaker its strategic position is.
There is no logic behind the weaker force fighting the far larger force in a conventional battle and inflicting such disproportionate casualties, the chance of them winning should not even be "likely to lose," it should be "almost certainly going to lose." I can't think of any strategy game that rewarded you for fighting on your opponent's strengths in this manner. For a grand strategy game it's even more puzzling, because the game is not about the fine managing of units, it's about amassing the resources and making the decisions which make the chances of victory certain before you've even declared war.

Right now militarily weaker states can use federations & defensive pacts to stall greater powers until such time as their economic and technological might overpowers them. But they possess no other means of fighting asymmetrical warfare short of funding a rival's enemies. This is a major weakness of the game, and I think the fact that the developers removed the ability to transfer planets because players were making locust pops is evidence enough that the devs are not only disinterested in adding asymmetrical avenues for undermining rivals, but is actively opposed to it for whatever reasons they keep to themselves. Thus in order to "solve" the problem that a militarily overwhelming foe annihilates its opponents in conventional battles, these measures have been introduced.
Thus I can play a pacifist nation that abhors violence and does not train its admirals or fleet, my tradition points spent on harmony, prosperity and discovery. My technology and economy is superior to my militiarist neighbour who spends much more on defence and devotes more of their planet to industry than me. If they do not challenge me militarily, I will assuredly become superior to them with the passing of time, as my technological and economic advantage increases exponentially. They double their fleet to twice the size of mine, putting an immense strain further upon their state, planning to invade me and thus reduce my advantage to their gain.
They declare war.
They have twice the ships I do, their admirals are more skilled, their people are geared towards war in tradition, having completed the supremacy traditions and naval exercise training. This is not their first war either, so they possess many veterans. My admirals have never seen battle before, my people hate the very idea of violence, their one advantage is they will fight harder to defend their homelands. I do no clever strategy, no devious trick. I do not conceal my ships in a great galactic ambush, I do not call in allies, I do not deploy devious weapons or politics, subversion or fast-raids. I attack this overwhelmingly superior foe head on in a conventional battle. Every one of my ships fights with superior skill and strategy, exacting a terrible toll upon the enemy. My species have no idea what they're doing but for reasons unknown they are superior to even the most elite enemy veterans. We are evenly matched, but I am far more capable of replacing my losses, with better industry, with more and more technologically advanced ships. I will win this war despite having made no preparations for it.
It breaks the game's verisimilitude for me. I do not see a mechanic which is logical or in accordance with any reality, I just see a mechanic the devs put in because they don't like large fleets causing decisive battles in space and couldn't think of anything better.

Consider that a fanatic militiarist government is one that is built around war first and foremost, whose peoples prepare for war in peace and look forward to it as an inevitable tradition of their species that must be continued. They get +20% to fire rate to represent their skill and experience at war. Consider that the fanatic purifier government represents the utmost extreme of a martial society, a peoples whose purpose in life is foremost war and extermination of all other life. Their dedication to this extreme militiarism renders them incapable of forming any diplomatic ties, but each of their ships gets +53% to fire rate.
An enemy whose peoples are not at all trained at war but are outnumbered 2 to 1 will find their ships fighting just as well as the enemy which spends entire generations of lives practicing at nothing but war. Not because they made any strategic decision, or had superior leadership, or the proper preparations. They are outnumbered therefore they fight as good as the best-trained elite navies in the galaxy.

Now imagine a fanatic purifier government is being invaded by a federation which has banded together to stop their extermination wars. Unfortunately they overwhelmingly outnumber the fanatical purifiers, so now if they fight a conventional battle their enemy will have a +103% fire rate. Thus to band together and have one fleet lead all allied fleets would be to make an incredibly poor life choice, despite all logic pointing to the contrary.
tl;dr cost-effective battles win wars
A state that made the correct choice in momentarily inflating their navy to exploit a weaker enemy that was teching up is now being punished, their fleets are suffering disproportionate damage despite the economic risk they took in bulking up their military. Thus if they are to profit from this decision, they must strike an overwhelming victory, otherwise the inferior foe will overcome them with their later game economic and technological advantage. Under this system, that state is punished for making the right decision, whereas there is no downside to getting tech hungry, because your smaller, technologically advanced fleet will be competitive with a purifier fleet twice the size of yours. And if you are a purifier yourself? Lmao +103% fire rate without traditions or admirals because your enemies band together instead of 1v1 you

*EDIT
Basically the design philosophy where you streamline the game experience into a monotony of grind into technofederation doesn't make sense. Because if there's one thing Stellaris needed, it was less choice? Nah what, PI team you guys are drunk
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:52:23 pm by Loud Whispers »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: January 03, 2018, 06:20:30 pm »

I feel like the game could heavily benefit from some procedurally generated events.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5666 on: January 03, 2018, 06:43:25 pm »

I feel like the game could heavily benefit from some procedurally generated events.
Needs:
-space economy
-planetary economy (even rudimentary abstraction of having buildings boost output in neighbouring tiles would be cool for example)
-non-military disruption of rivals and neighbours
-skirmishing
-exaggerated species traits
-planetary defences
-planetary climate diversification & tile variance (so planets aren't always 100% glaciers or deserts, but could be a mix of 30% deserts & 70% jungle for example)
-pacifists stop annihilating every other faction that doesn't want to act like a bee swarm someone's stuck their dick into
-better and more map UI. Still have no ethos map, no religion map, no species map, no map screenshot ability, no star map, no population map, no tech map, no galactic state comparisons
-pop & species personalities, thus far every pop is indistinguishable unless repugnant or charismatic

Nice but not necessary
-pop necessities
-pop luxuries
-warfare outside of gravity wells
-disruption of enemies unique to ascension paths
-a 3d galaxy. Not necessarily requiring representation by a 3d galaxy, but have political projection not operate 2d
-planets require land warfare instead of representing a level 2 fort in yuropa
-factions & sector governors do things on their own
-Tiles are improved beyond having abstractions like an entire continent devoted solely to power plants, farms and whatnot, instead having varied infrastructure per tile
-Option to enter a new game/galaxy with states in random degrees of advancement
-Late game doom weapons. Stuff mounted in space with planet destroyers, stuff happening per planet with genetic viruses, psionic warfare or synthetic infiltration ramped up to 9000
-Option to grant sectors different privileges and autonomy, with the ability to allow them to build their own warfleets or secede

Neat but unlikeliest to happen:
-Option to play as a faction
-Option to play as a nation from the fragmented stage or even earlier
-Option to play spore and start as a pre-sentient
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:47:02 pm by Loud Whispers »

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: January 03, 2018, 09:01:36 pm »

You should add more tech divergence to that list.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5668 on: January 04, 2018, 04:02:59 am »

You should add more tech divergence to that list.
What kind of tech divergence? Also thinking on it further:
-Having the ability to do weighted RNG traits for certain species would also be fantastic though not necessary. Things like having certain portraits weigh towards certain traits, or some traits weighting towards other traits would be nice.
-Having a trait that only details what kind of food a species must eat to survive, and either split this into policy or split food production into meat, vegetable or mixed, and have carnivores, herbivores, omnivores, hyper-omnivores (eat everything like a swarm and create cattle pops) and synthetics (or perhaps more unique species requirements like lithovores who eat minerals). Could even have pop interactions taking into account Elf-Dorf interactions of ethics, so xenophiles can smooth over dietary issues, but other empires will take longer (harmony, diplo or tech?) to smooth things over. I like the idea of venus fly trap pops being cool with meatlings but deeply offended by vegetarians for example, thus it'd be nice to have more ethics than the basest and most general triple axis that is about as representative as a left-right-auth-lib chart.
-Spiritualist religions not all being the same. Thus two spiritualist Empires may compete with one another to spread their religion across the stars more than the other dudes can. I like this idea as one of the possible ways you can give people more things to do than just warfare. Xenophile-Spiritualists would be weighted towards syncretic and humanist religious policies, Materialists towards secular policy (separating the secular-religious government from civics & ethos) or creating space Megachurches which make $$££energy creditss££$$, Authoritarian-Spiritualists towards mysticism & organization, Xenophobe-Spiritualists towards inquisition & inwards perfection. That'd add a lot more dimension to the game
-Randomly generated culture. Not really necessary, but having pops have their own culture would be neat, even an abstract representation as culture divergence in addition to ethics divergence would be radicool
-Having the material limits for energy extend considerably, allowing materialists to amass ludicrous sums of capital with which to corner galactic markets (win condition, buy everything)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: January 04, 2018, 11:13:55 am »

^  The cute ones will be more likely to be xenocidal devourers.
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 632