Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678499 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7380 on: November 29, 2018, 10:00:17 pm »

I for one just wish that leaders were more like underlings in CK2. Give them some initiative!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: November 29, 2018, 10:07:04 pm »

Assisting research would be another valid use, yeah.  Despite my usually focusing hard on science, I didn't ever use research assistance very much because it didn't seem to help all that much.  Maybe I was misread or doing the math wrong, but even assisting on a research focused habitat or ring world segment didn't seem to give more than a few extra points of research per month per scientist.  Better than nothing, I suppose.

Oh, right, I forgot that research assist no longer gives unity, so it's not nearly as good as it used to be. But, even so, it's like +15% or something right? That's still pretty good on a research focused world. Should give a couple of dozen points.

I for one just wish that leaders were more like underlings in CK2. Give them some initiative!

It'd be interesting if this eventually became a thing. I wouldn't expect it in 2019, but a big "internal society" update at some point adding more interesting personality to your empire and how you interact with your subjects would be cool, if they can think of enough things to implement.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 10:09:35 pm by Criptfeind »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: November 29, 2018, 10:19:10 pm »

But that would make for good gameplay, PTTG. That's just not acceptable in our perfectly mediocre game.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: November 30, 2018, 01:19:44 am »

Pffffft. Stellaris is NOT perfectly mediocre. If it was, then how could be that its mediocrity grows with each new DLC?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: November 30, 2018, 10:02:00 am »

But that would make for good gameplay, PTTG. That's just not acceptable in our perfectly mediocre game.
Yeah, Wiz has said that he doesn't want to make leaders matter too much because then it would be Crusader Kings in Space, and apparently he thinks that wouldn't be better than it just being Stellaris.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: November 30, 2018, 10:37:53 am »

The idea of crusader kings is that you the player are divorced from the empire and actually only represent the interests of one family whose wellbeing and success is paramount. Ckii but you follow the empire, and you don't worry about marriages, assassination, getting claims by anything more than spending points, the spread of religion, or the machinations of your children isn't really crusader kings; it's just taking something crusader kings did amazingly well.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: November 30, 2018, 10:42:03 am »

Yeah, I don't think Wiz knows what Crusader Kings is actually about. Maybe he only ever plays Kings and tries to blob the whole world every single time?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: November 30, 2018, 10:42:52 am »

So my first faction post-Le Guin is so going to be Scientology. Megacorp that is both a Church and Criminal. Clearly Spiritual and Fanatic Authoritarian.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: November 30, 2018, 11:18:41 am »

I'll probably try to build the same empire I played in my last game, which was life-seeded inward perfectionists.  That was a fun change of pace, and it looks like 2.2 is going to make that build easier to play since it looks like having a gaia preference will merely double upkeep costs of pops on other worlds instead of outright forbidding you from colonizing.  That may turn out to be ruinous for your economy, but I plan to find out the hard way.  It might also trigger the annoying pop self modification colony event, but again, we'll see.

Life-seeded will also give direct access to what appears to be the 3 most important advanced resources from the beginning, so it may actually not be that bad of a start.  Depends on how rare motes, crystals and gases are.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: November 30, 2018, 02:04:10 pm »

The idea of crusader kings is that you the player are divorced from the empire and actually only represent the interests of one family whose wellbeing and success is paramount. Ckii but you follow the empire, and you don't worry about marriages, assassination, getting claims by anything more than spending points, the spread of religion, or the machinations of your children isn't really crusader kings; it's just taking something crusader kings did amazingly well.
I mean, you're kinda preaching to the choir here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: November 30, 2018, 02:08:35 pm »

Yeah, I don't think Wiz knows what Crusader Kings is actually about. Maybe he only ever plays Kings and tries to blob the whole world every single time?
Every single paradox grand strategy is about blobbing. Except ck. (We don't talk about Victoria anymore)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7391 on: November 30, 2018, 02:14:33 pm »

Every single paradox grand strategy is about blobbing. Except ck. (We don't talk about Victoria anymore)
How to make stellaris good:
It's victoria kings in space

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: November 30, 2018, 02:38:44 pm »

I mean, you're kinda preaching to the choir here.
Not preaching so much as whining that the justification for leaving an anemic system mostly as is is that making it better would make it more like something good.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: November 30, 2018, 02:46:32 pm »

Just saw this video rundown of the features, and I hadn't noticed the trade routes thing before (I haven't been paying close attention, it makes the anticipation worse).  This update seems to have a few ways to make peace more interesting, which I think is a major limitation of the game otherwise.  Here's hoping I can make outrageously ambitious trade routes, and occupy my military in defending them.

I'm also excited to buy and liberate slaves, of course.  I'll probably be playing Blorg, which was my first run, just to see how much has changed (and also because it's a powerful and fun combo).  Just need to gene-mod a smiley face on my people ASAP...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: November 30, 2018, 03:23:16 pm »

According to the patch notes, now that they have released a new DLC, unity ambitions (previously unique to apocalypse) are now available to everyone... which reminds me what they did with utopia and ascension perks.

I don't know how I feel about that. It sort of feels shady to be taking value away from people who payed for the DLC, but it also kind of feels shady to lock stuff like that behind DLC since it makes it harder to balance and smells faintly of pay2win.

Also:

* End game victory conditions reworked into a score system, tallying up your total empire accomplishment based on size, population, military, tech, federations, and many other measures

So instead of "conquer everything to win" now we have a high score based victory system? I guess that's.... sort of an improvement? I'll have to see the specifics of how it works.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 632