Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: /V/ Succession Game!  (Read 16948 times)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: /V/ Succession Game!
« Reply #210 on: December 09, 2007, 11:18:00 am »

Cats, cats everywhere and not a dog to guard
Not a single dog survives in Axefather, but how about cats?  Oh, I'd say we've no particular shortage of cats.  

Every time a feline gives birth, which happens about once a month, we have to cage the kittens ... or see them find owners, which means even more breeders scampering about.  We may be dodging claws in the corridors but, hey, at least we'll never run out of meat.

Early Moonstone:
It is winter.  My focus now to to (finally!) get some proper spans over both the cave river and the chasm, projects which has already involved more delay than does my temper good.  But that frustration is nothing compared to the fury I feel when hapless Zuglar manages to louse it up again.  This time, he drops a bridge right out from under Ezem Hornpainted, who falls wailing into the bottomless chasm.  We all mourn our first loss of the year.

I order a sign put around Zuglar's neck and instruct him to clean refuse until further notice.

Kogan the Herbalist finds some dimple cups, which means beautiful nightnight blue clothes and tapestries someday.

Vispol Armarmors has begun a mysterious construction!  What wondrous object will he make out of cat leather, moonstone blocks, aquamarine, acacia logs, turtle bones, crystal glass, and hematite?

Axefather's major and trade representative have been escalating their mandates and now also demands of late.  But they're also getting a little more reasonable about the specifics.  I indulge the mayor's demand for a marble cabinet largely because a much more important dwarf is also going to get marble furniture and it was easy to make one more item.

Our miner-catapult operators are getting very good at their job.

10th Moonstone:
Vispol creates a cat leather right glove and, inspired by powers beyond my ken, is now a legendary leatherworker.  He runs up to me, asks for an immediate meeting in my office, and there presents a plan:  To make kitten leather armor for the fighting dwarves of Axefather!

Up-Armoring the troops
It doesn't take me very long to agree.  We're ... not short of kittens.  What we ARE short of is anyone who can make decent metal armor or even smelt any great quantity of steel or iron.  Realistically, by the end of this year, I have three choices:  Kit up a few dwarves in heavy low-quality steel armor; kit out some more dwarves in heavy low-quality bronzewear; or churn out high-quality leather armor.  Vispol tells me that, for half the weight, what he provides will offer almost as much protection as plain iron armor ... and our solders can layer on ironmongery on top of leather later.  That seals the deal.  The kittens die.

I also ask for more shell armor to complement his future output.

Mid-Moonstone:
Our miners earlier found a second iron deposit at a distance of 160 from the central corridor and now locate the first coal bed seam in this mountain.  It's almost at the northern edge and we're likely to be using charcoal for our coking needs indefinitely.

The main span over the cave river is completed at last!  Clad in sparkling clear glass and walled for safety, this monument to dwarven artistry delights eye and mind alike.  A hard-quaffing toast - no, a dozen toasts - for Aargh the builder!

Marksdwarves Rimtar and Thimeth tackle a lone ogre troubling workers outdoors.  Incaution allows the ogre to close the range and grapple Rimtar, who gives better than he gets and even manages to walk off the field.  Which is more than the ogre can say!

The kittens are getting motivated.  Their latest victim is Udib.  Once you reach down to pet it and say "Oh, how cute!", it's all over.  Next thing you know that feline'll be sitting on a cushion with her bringing it food.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2007, 11:18:00 am »

Late Moonstone:
The rest of us carry on with the less-fluffy kitties.  Vispol is tanning the skins he will later use and all of our general-purpose haulers are trying to keep up with the bones, skulls, chunks, meat, and fat.  I also order three male foals axed.

Our now-double legendary miner/siege operators have done a remarkable job of smashing rock in the public areas.  The Great Hall and food production area were both cleared by autumn and just now they report that Aargh's great ceremonial plaza is much prettier now with less rock blocking Koji's engravings.  I set them on the metalworking area and the associated bedrooms.

Early Opal:
I meet with all three former leaders and propose that their rooms be moved about.  Nekose is getting a new place near his magma forge.  This leave a space perfectly positioned for the secondary liquor stockpile.  If the liquor goes here, then it's also the perfect place for Aargh!  So, Aargh will get Nekose's old room and, every time he sits down to eat, will be surrounded by almost two dozen kegs of dwarven firewater.  Koji gets Aargh's old room; Rictus gets Koji's old room.  Everyone gets a furniture upgrade and Koji also plans to carve some artwork in his place (when he gets a moment free from smoothing the public areas).  I hope that everyone will be settled back in by the end of the year.

Mid-Opal:
Our miners finish their whirlwind tour of the ore between the chasm and the magma by digging to the southern edge.  They report that, once you dig far enough away from the fortress, there are several rich deposits of iron ore.  Hauling it will be troublesome, but honestly we're glad just to have found the stuff.  I set them to work on various smaller projects, the most important one of which is to finish Nekose's room.

Our craftsdwarves are doing excellent work.  Haulage is our limiting factor now; most of that is left undone at year-end will be because we just couldn't move the stuff fast enough.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »

Mid-Opal:
Nekose gets to play soldiers!  He's turned out 18 brass tables and as many brass chairs for the Great Hall and at last I'm satisfied with his performance as a civilian.  Our part-time warlord orders all military dwarves to shuck off their existing armor, march to the leatherworks, and there start gathering a new set of leather and shell protection.  We're not going to worry to much if some dwarves end up with mismatched gear; the critical thing right now is simply to layer something on.  Here we see Mosus putting those kittens to better use.

Late Opal:
Axefather's three full-time smelters are making bronze and steel.  The bronze is to start training up dwarves with a innate gift with steel as armorsmiths.  If we can ever inspire one of them to later create a work of legend, Axefather's military will be the bane of goblins everywhere!

Dastot the Bowyer flees as ogres lumber into view.  I order civilians inside and watch, amused yet appreciative, as Nekose gleefully leaps for his crossbow, races outside with his "tactical response team", and slaughters all three.

He then goes for a well-earned rest in his new marble-furnished bedroom.

Late Opal - Early Obsidian:
Koji releases all of his fellow engravers and personally takes on the fine work of detailing, and in so doing tell the story of the year now coming to an end.  His first project is the Great Hall:  This finished, he proceeds to decorate the rooms of Rictus, Aargh, himself, and myself.

Mid-Obsidian:
We compete the finishing touches to the rooms of the former leaders.  Koji has obsidian and an unusual amount of engraving; Aargh has his booze and better furniture, but Rictus has probably gotten the best deal of all:  He has a complete set of marble furniture and eight *cave spider silk bags* to satisfy his longing for them.

We slay two giant lions who got a little too friendly with our wood haulers.

Late Obsidian:
Nekose is once again dwarf of the hour as he spans the chasm with a walled golden bridge.  Clear glass across the river, gold across the chasm, every used bridge across both fitted with raised safety walls, and doors and statues lined along the edges of both to ward against floods and raids - we're done, done at last!

Working together, we dwarves of Axefather have accomplished much this year.  We're greater in number, and not just from immigration - the three babies born in 1055 outweigh our single loss.  We're better fed, harder-working, more skilled, better protected, and vastly richer than we were a year ago.

Much has been done.  Much, also, has been left undone.  Housing is a particular area of weakness.  At the end of 1054, everyone had a bed.  Nowadays, while our skilled dwarves and soldiers are more-or-less housed, and many of our haulers also have beds, a number of dwarves sleep in the barracks.  Several dwarfs really need different rooms.  Just before walking out of the office for the last time, I leave a blueprint for a possible second housing area west of the Great Hall ...

and slip away, back into obscurity.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 11, 2007, 03:11:00 pm »

I have the best room ever.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 11, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

The savefile is here, and the scrollable map is here.

I had a blast playing this game.  The old version of DF lacks all sorts of Neat New Features, but Toady polished it long enough for it to offer in some ways a better play experience than the new version can provide, at least just yet.

This is a particularly interesting fortress.  Axefather dwarves are getting skilled enough that positively grandiose projects are now possible.  Iron is relatively scarce, but the goblin raids I confidently expect to happen this coming year or the next will do much to help out.  Assuming we don't get killed, which might actually happen - the map is Terrifying and I'm not at all satisfied with either the military or the fixed defenses.  A steady hand is needed to withstand the coming storms.

Unless Nekose or someone says different, I figure I'm responsible for asking for a successor.  Whether you're a previous leader or a newcomer, sign up now for the year 1056!  Newcomers will get priority until the 17th; afterwards, whoever signs up first gets to play and old-timers are welcome.

quote:
Originally posted by Koji:
<STRONG>I have the best room ever.</STRONG>
If I had time to do some decorating with gemstones or build some multicolor rope "tapestries", it'd be even better.     :)

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Fedor ]

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 12, 2007, 06:57:00 am »

Not much to say here... you've done an awesome job with the fortress!  :D

Nekose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2008, 02:58:23 am »

Its absolutely beautiful. You've truly mastered the art of dwarf fortress.

To be honest guys, after the two weeks of inactivity i thought we had given up, I'm glad my dwarf managed to contribute so much without me.

Hopefully we'll give it a shot in the new version.

For Axefather!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2008, 05:30:27 am »

Its absolutely beautiful. You've truly mastered the art of dwarf fortress.

To be honest guys, after the two weeks of inactivity i thought we had given up, I'm glad my dwarf managed to contribute so much without me.

Hopefully we'll give it a shot in the new version.

For Axefather!

It's ironic you bump this thread now, considering 4chan is down again.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 24, 2008, 08:54:51 am »

I suggest a new thread in the DF Community Games and Stories forum
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 24, 2008, 05:17:19 pm »

I didn't know so many people here visit moot's closet.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 24, 2008, 06:22:23 pm »

4chan wouldn't get such a bad reputation if /b/ were to detach from it.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 24, 2008, 06:34:43 pm »

The chans don't care about reputation.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 24, 2008, 07:34:41 pm »

Wow, Kudos for the 7 month Grave Robbery!
If it wasn't locked, it would deserve an entry in this:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=14898.0
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]