Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 10 Turns II: Six Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion  (Read 3786 times)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: 10 Turns II: Nine Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2024, 01:41:02 pm »

Study all available information about the Fiendlord's tactics.  There are many ways to attack a city; we can't risk leaving ourselves open to one of his primary methods.  Is the Fiendlord flexible in his techniques, or does he consistently rely on a single overwhelmingly effective approach?  Should we expect a lengthy siege or a rapid assault?  Do his forces build ramps to overcome walls?  Dig tunnels?  Deploy catapults?

In order to achieve victory, we must know the enemy.  After all, we shouldn't devote too much effort to the walls if the Fiendlord has many winged beasts that can simply carry his forces over them.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Turns II: Nine Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2024, 05:29:27 pm »

- April -
Nine Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion

Romance and redeem Lucifer (I can fix him!)
(6 vs. 3+2) The romance is a success, but the redemption is not; alas, it only leaves Lucifer more determined than ever to conquer Avalon, so that nothing might stand between him and his love!

I create a psionic amplifier of nearly unfathomable power that can still be conveniently concealed on my person.  Also, if I have time, I train a few psionic assassins to augment our defenses. 
(6) The device is as small as a wristwatch and doubles Black's psychic power, but without inner strength to match, the strain is overwhelming! His brain can't take eight minutes of this, never mind eight months!

Having gotten confused on the way and traveled to a very different Avalon initially, I now return with a platoon of small, intelligent and fluffy four-eared space raptors wielding rapid-fire railguns in tow.
(6) Strife shows with THREE platoons of space raptors. The citizens, mistaking them for some newfangled breed of fiend, form a mob and chase them out. They decide to join up with the Fiendlord instead.

Take the librarian's offer and seek a sage that specializes in magical barriers. Ask them what would be required to create an impregnable, everlasting barrier around the city.
(1) "Nothing is everlasting; entropy conquers all! You make a mockery of my art, simpleton. Begone!" The sage chases Bridges out of his office.

Begin the ritual chanting to bring back the accursed armies of the Dead! for the side of good of course, totally wont conquer the heroes afterwards.
(3) At the dead of night, bearing spells most profane and reagents most foul, M. Monkey conducts a dark necromantic ritual in Avalon's graveyard! When the morning sun comes, one (1) skeleton has risen from its grave.

Start training up some more soldiers.  A mere thousand shouldn't be asked to defend the whole of this great city alone!
(5) Devastator's call to arms is answered; the army's ranks swell! Recruitment eases off by the end of the month, but if it continues at the new rate, the army's size will have doubled by December!

Research further into his life, looking for love interests, friends, notable companions, allies, pets, does this person have a known human side?  Has anyone ever, that is known, offered them any kindness, anything but a bum deal?  If so, who, how, and how did the Fiendlord react?
(3) No, he doesn't have any of that. He's the goddamn Fiendlord.

Start digging a moat around the outside of the city walls.
(4) With the entire army set to digging, the moat encircles the city within the month. It hasn't been flooded yet, though.

Study all available information about the Fiendlord's tactics.  There are many ways to attack a city; we can't risk leaving ourselves open to one of his primary methods.  Is the Fiendlord flexible in his techniques, or does he consistently rely on a single overwhelmingly effective approach?  Should we expect a lengthy siege or a rapid assault?  Do his forces build ramps to overcome walls?  Dig tunnels?  Deploy catapults?

In order to achieve victory, we must know the enemy.  After all, we shouldn't devote too much effort to the walls if the Fiendlord has many winged beasts that can simply carry his forces over them.
(3) The Fiendlord has neither the patience nor the need for sieges; he takes a city in a single overwhelming attack. His vast wealth of conventional and unconventional troops makes his tactics hard to predict. Most of his army attacks by land, but Lucifer leads an aerial Dragoon Corps.

Spoiler: Heroes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Defenses (click to show/hide)

Intel: The Fiendlord's attack will probably come after dark, when the dead are at their zenith and the living their nadir.

It is now May. Eight months remain. What do you do?

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Turns II: Eight Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2024, 06:06:36 pm »

Delve into alchemy, with the goal of strengthening and transforming the troops on our side.
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2024, 07:37:48 pm »

Travel to and infiltrate the Fiendlord's army, seeking a leadership position.

Megam0nkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2024, 07:41:39 pm »

With the first ritual a failure, begin reasearch into the Dark Tomes of the Ancient ones, the Scrolls of Apocalypse, The Book Made of a Human Guy, and other such classic texts to better understand the art of necromancy and other related dark magics, to raise a undead legion significantly stronger and larger than a single skeleton.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 07:44:00 pm by Megam0nkey »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2024, 11:00:39 pm »

Move permanently to the Great Mire, a huge and particularly sticky swamp with few natural food sources and filled with dangerous creatures which would absolutely devastate any army which tried to move through it.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2024, 11:07:24 pm »

Move permanently to the Great Mire, a huge and particularly sticky swamp with few natural food sources and filled with dangerous creatures which would absolutely devastate any army which tried to move through it.
The Heart of Light, the object of the Fiendlord's attack, is tethered to Avalon!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2024, 11:10:10 pm »

Irrelevant.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2024, 04:11:49 am »

Start filling the moat with sharpened sticks, like a massive punji pit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2024, 08:23:56 am »

Increase my strength to match the amplifier
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2024, 11:03:49 am »

Conceal arcane trap-sigils scattered around the city outside the moat, ready to be activated when the attack is about to begin.  Half of them are designed to draw magic out of the Fiendlord's undead, deanimating them and repurposing the captured power to strengthen the trap fields.  The other half manifest blades and spikes of hardened darkness - primarily intended to slay beasts, but they should injure even fiends, especially once they've been boosted by draining some of the undead.  These traps ought to work very nicely in the dark.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2024, 06:03:47 pm »

Lets gear up!  Surely a great city like this has some engineers or mad science types.  We can use all kinds of devilish inventions to bring hell to the fiendlord's armies!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2024, 06:53:03 pm »

- May -
Eight Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion

Delve into alchemy, with the goal of strengthening and transforming the troops on our side.
(6) The troops aren't really into the whole guinea pig thing, so Strife tests out his new potions on unknowing civilians instead. Some of them fall ill, but others turn into hulking mutants! Totally worth it; those pansies wouldn't have joined the army anyway.

Travel to and infiltrate the Fiendlord's army, seeking a leadership position.
(5) Somehow, a Fiendlordian official mistakes ZBridges for a vampire. Maybe it's his pale complexion? In any event, he's assigned a post as Third Sergeant of the Lifeeater Division and dispatched to a fort near the border.

With the first ritual a failure, begin reasearch into the Dark Tomes of the Ancient ones, the Scrolls of Apocalypse, The Book Made of a Human Guy, and other such classic texts to better understand the art of necromancy and other related dark magics, to raise a undead legion significantly stronger and larger than a single skeleton.
(6) This time, M. Monkey resurrects the entire graveyard, producing a 500-strong ivory army. Local officials have some pressing questions for him, like whether he'd prefer pine or oak for the stake they burn him on.

(3) The Fiendlord has already occupied all the best bogs. Egan finds an untaken one, but the deadliest monster there is an elderly crocodile. It doesn't even have any quicksand!

Start filling the moat with sharpened sticks, like a massive punji pit.
(2) The soldiers keep falling on the sticks and hurting themselves. Fearing a riot, military leadership has the ends of the sticks blunted.

Increase my strength to match the amplifier
(3) Black's starting to see diminishing returns in his training; a whole month's effort only doubles the length of time he can bear the strain. Has he reached his limit?

Conceal arcane trap-sigils scattered around the city outside the moat, ready to be activated when the attack is about to begin.  Half of them are designed to draw magic out of the Fiendlord's undead, deanimating them and repurposing the captured power to strengthen the trap fields.  The other half manifest blades and spikes of hardened darkness - primarily intended to slay beasts, but they should injure even fiends, especially once they've been boosted by draining some of the undead.  These traps ought to work very nicely in the dark.
(3) Drawing sigils turns out to be pretty time-intensive. They're so intricate, and magic quills are awful to write with, and if you make a single mistake you have to scratch the whole thing and start over--it's just terrible. Gophers writes a handful across from the main gate; full magic circle encirclement may only be a dream.

Lets gear up!  Surely a great city like this has some engineers or mad science types.  We can use all kinds of devilish inventions to bring hell to the fiendlord's armies!
(6) At Devastator's direction and with Strife's assistance, the army stocks up on bioweapons. Surely nothing bad can come of this!

Spoiler: Heroes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Defenses (click to show/hide)

Intel: The Fiendlord has developed a Demonic Engine! Part machine, part beast, and part fiend, its massive wheels let it ram fortifications at incredible speed!

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Turns II: Seven Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2024, 08:53:14 pm »

Convince the men to rebel and march on the Fiendlord's current capital.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Turns II: Seven Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2024, 01:28:10 am »

Go around the wall and repair and reinforce any bits that need it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 [2] 3