Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 108501 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2019, 05:47:41 pm »

They say sleep can help you work out problems and organize/find memories. Maybe we should try sleeping?

Also, if we want to learn more, then maybe we should find someone who knew him, some friend or co-worker. Maybe we should find some old newspaper article or something that has information about who he was working with? Or maybe some telephone catalogue that has his office's location?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:28:03 am by Parisbre56 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2019, 08:46:47 am »

Maybe we should just sleep for a bit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2019, 12:14:34 pm »

Maybe we should just sleep for a bit.

+1.

Sleep now, plot world domination tomorrow.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #183 on: April 29, 2019, 04:40:24 pm »

Hmm. Can we eat? Can we taste? We should try eating something before going to bed.

Also, if we can animate everything, even things that aren't dead animals, then assassination should be pretty easy. Just reanimate some spaghetti and make it choke whoever eats it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:54:25 am by Parisbre56 »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 29, 2019, 11:56:54 pm »

Just make sure that the one who eats it is the target. The general problem with poisoned food is that you have to either be the one who serves it, or be right there when it gets served to poison it. Otherwise there likely will be collateral damage.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2019, 01:11:45 pm »

Just make sure that the one who eats it is the target. The general problem with poisoned food is that you have to either be the one who serves it, or be right there when it gets served to poison it. Otherwise there likely will be collateral damage.

We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 30, 2019, 07:29:10 pm »

Less "partially sapient", more "questionably sentient", I'd say. Phantoms are a little better, but then we need to catch a magic space ghost eel, convince it to use some spaghetti as its body, and teach it how to determine the right target.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #187 on: May 01, 2019, 02:48:16 am »

Didn't we just read that the puppets have part of our intelligence which allows them to know things like what "hover" and "closet" is? Presumably the same thing can be used to direct their noodly appendages to the correct target.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2019, 09:30:29 am »

We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here
Huh.

They say sleep can help you work out problems and organize/find memories. Maybe we should try sleeping?

Also, if we want to learn more, then maybe we should find someone who knew him, some friend or co-worker. Maybe we should find some old newspaper article or something that has information about who he was working with? Or maybe some telephone catalogue that has his office's location?

Hmm. Can we eat? Can we taste? We should try eating something before going to bed.

Also, if we can animate everything, even things that aren't dead animals, then assassination should be pretty easy. Just reanimate some spaghetti and make it choke whoever eats it.
You put all the books back and then go wandering, looking for some food. Its surprisingly hard to find food just sitting around in a library...or perhaps it isn't surprising at all...in any case you head back to the living quarters and check out what appears to be a pantry of sorts and find a good supply of food, mostly canned or dried, and select an already open bag of dried apple slices. You aren't hungry and when you do bite into the slice of rubbery fruit it has a sort of dull and distant taste, but a taste none the less. You seem to be able to eat the stuff alright but you don't bother eating much since you're not actually hungry.  Idly chewing on one last slice you return to your room and strip down to your underclothing before laying on the bed.

You stare up at the ceiling for a bit, mind blank,  and then wonder how it is someone falls asleep. You consider your memories, or the phantoms of sensation that call themselves memories and decide that under the covers is best. You get under the blanket and continue to stare up at the ceiling. Hmmm.  Maybe you have to try? You make a conscious effort to sleep, telling yourself to sleep repeatedly while keeping your eyes closed. 

There are hands on your shoulders, shaking you violently, and Esme's voice is coming to you loud and panicked.

"HEY! COME ON!"

You open your eyes. Its morning or maybe early afternoon judging by the amount of light in the room and Esme is leaning over you, her face pale and worried.  You blink up at her, confused, and she rocks back, letting go of your shoulders and sitting down on the edge of the bed with a gasp of relief.

"Don't do that to me!" She says, "You didn't come down this morning so I came in to see if you were ok and you were...Just lying there. Cold and unresponsive.  I thought maybe you died or...ran out of juice or whatever, you know."

You tell her that you had tried to sleep.

"Well I think you pulled it off." she says with a sigh, calming down a bit.

You sit up and are about to get out of bed when you notice something. You feel your constructs; the mouse is where you left it but Piecewise isn't in his bag. You check the bag yourself to be sure but he's gone. He feels like he's nearby, somewhere downstairs. You tell Esme and both of you head downstairs, you  leading the way via the vague sensation of the skeleton's location. You find him in the back corner of the library at the same table you sat at last night when you searched through the books.  He's sitting in a chair that is facing away from the table but towards you. He's holding a book in his lap.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2019, 11:02:00 am »

Strange. Could it be someone else controlling it? Could it be some hidden spirit? Some leftover directive from whoever assembled it? A subconscious decision made by us (or the part of us we gave to it) in our sleep? Maybe the book will help us understand more.

But maybe we should examine its energy first and make sure we can control it, just to be on the safe side.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2019, 01:02:28 pm »

+1 to examine his energy, though we probably don't know enough to tell much about what could be specifically wrong/right. Maybe ask Esme if skeleton constructs like to wander off and read Tolstoy every so often. Don't these things need memories aka information to survive? Maybe it's just snacking.

If nothing else, jaunt on up and ask him what he's reading today.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2019, 01:08:12 pm »

+1 to examine his energy, though we probably don't know enough to tell much about what could be specifically wrong/right. Maybe ask Esme if skeleton constructs like to wander off and read Tolstoy every so often. Don't these things need memories aka information to survive? Maybe it's just snacking.
+1
Better idea: tell him to show us the book title. If we ask him, he can not reply in words.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2019, 03:46:45 am »

+1
Better idea: tell him to show us the book title. If we ask him, he can not reply in words.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2019, 04:10:52 am »

Don't these things need memories aka information to survive? Maybe it's just snacking.

Phantoms do, this thing should just be a puppet.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2019, 10:19:47 am »

You ask Esme if its normal for necromantic puppets to wander off and do things on their own.

"I'm not really versed in necromancy but I'm pretty sure its not normal." She says, still staring at Piecewise.

You look at how Piecewise is connected to the Anima and it seems no different than before; big connection to the anima, small connection to your finger. He's not inhabited by any of those fishy spirits either, just an empty skeleton still.

You command him to show you the book he's holding and he holds it up so that you can see the title.

"Journal of Arcane Investigation, collected volumes 233-250"

You notice that one of the skeleton's fingers is stuck into the book, as though holding his place.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 94