Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 289777 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:10:18 pm »

This video on this site.
 That page;
Quote from: Feminist Frequency
[snip-video-snip]
[snip-stuffaboutvideo-snip]
ABOUT THE SERIES:
The Tropes vs Women in Video Games project aims to examine the plot devices and patterns most often associated with female characters in gaming from a systemic, big picture perspective. This series will include critical analysis of many beloved games and characters, but remember that it is both possible (and even necessary) to simultaneously enjoy media while also being critical of it’s more problematic or pernicious aspects.

This video series is created by Anita Sarkeesian and the project was funded by 6968 awesome backers on Kickstarter.com

It might be a small thing for this place, since it's about a problem that just irritates most of us, but it's good to remember. Also, have a TEDx talk from the same author for its historical properties.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 06:15:10 pm »

Tropes vs. Women is a complete and utter joke, that's probably why no one is talking about it.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 06:16:27 pm »

Seriously, this whole thing is so radioactive I'm not touching it with a ten-foot pole, and I like arguing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 06:24:22 pm »

I am filled with both a desire and hesitance to talk about the issue.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:32:59 pm »

I feel like we've had a truly excellent awareness campaign recently, and that the next step is for companies to do something (and for gamers to put their moneys where their mouths are).  The internet has gotten one hell of a lot louder over feminist issues in games in the last while.

About Sarkheesian in particular, I have nothing to say.  To me, she's just a welcome part of the background noise making the big push.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 06:39:23 pm »

No? Nobody? You guys don't want to play ball? Aww...

Over zealous feminist puts subjective viewpoint that actually has some credit to it forward.
Over zealous gamers that have seen this argument used before by people looking to ban their games give the predictable response.

You know what this actually reminds me of? When somebody says that 'To lower the chance of sexual abuse, avoid wearing revealing clothing' and there is feminist outrage. The given piece of advice itself isn't sexist and isn't blaming the victim, if a women walks down the street naked and gets raped it isn't her fault, but it still wasn't wise in the first place. But because some assholes think it is honestly ok to blame the victim and try to use what they were wearing as an excuse (And it isn't), now there is an instant given response to that sort of advice.
Same thing, people have been trying to ban games based on sexual discrimination in the past, so now gamers see anything that points to sexual discrimination as a direct assault on their games, and raise the war banner.

Moral of the lesson? Argue with the point given today, not yesterday.

Well that should stir up some flames.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 06:47:53 pm »

First of all, all viewpoints are subjective >_>

Second of all, I'm not sure why we're calling Sarkheesian over-zealous.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 06:52:25 pm »

When you are picking out examples, even if they are few and far between and saying 'These ones are done right, we can learn from these!' while at the same time pointing to others and saying 'These are done wrong, and here is why, and here is how to improve them', then you are actually doing a lot of good.
When you are just picking out negative examples and saying 'These are bad and you should feel bad for playing them' you are a little over zealous.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 06:55:16 pm »

First of all, what if there aren't any good examples?  Is she supposed to go "Hey, look, a game where damsels aren't in distress?"  I feel like that's sort of silly.

Also, is she actually saying "and you should feel bad for playing them?"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 06:57:04 pm »

Oh come now, do you mean to imply that in all of the electronic games medium, you can't find a single example of a game that isn't sexist?

And while she doesn't outright say such a thing, it is certainly implied.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 06:58:28 pm »

Tropes vs Women only provides shallow criticism towards sexism. Pointing out that female characters from the 80's/90's is idiotic, considering that story meant little back then and they used simple character archetypes to focus almost entirely on the gameplay.

Second of all, I'm not sure why we're calling Sarkheesian over-zealous.
She is, instead of going "Hey, this is an example of a poorly written character. This is how it should be improved." it's basically "Hey, this thing you like is bad."

First of all, what if there aren't any good examples?  Is she supposed to go "Hey, look, a game where damsels aren't in distress?"  I feel like that's sort of silly.
There are PLENTY of good examples. Saying there aren't is outright ridiculous. Anita is simply cherrypicking apparently sexist characters, saying they are sexist, then moving on.

Currently females are a minority in the video game community, it's very hard to deny this. If this minority wants to change videogames, they have to go about it in a different way. Whining and complaining will only stir up reactionaries and get them pissed off at the minority.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 07:03:50 pm »

Currently females are a minority in the video game community, it's very hard to deny this. If this minority wants to change videogames, they have to go about it in a different way. Whining and complaining will only stir up reactionaries and get them pissed off at the minority.

What would suggest as a "different way" then? Because I can't think of anything else other than more women trying to get hired as game designers or something.

And, on top of that, it's hard to deny that Sex Sells. For every 50 RPS commenters complaining about Miranda's butt in Mass Effect, it seems there's another 5000 silent 13 year old boys who are still giving the companies money.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 07:05:23 pm »

Part 2 out yet?  And people have already debatedargued this in the kickstarter thread.

Idjits on both sides.  Though, I'm of the opinion that the Idjits against these videos are unnecessarilyvery very loud.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 07:06:44 pm »

Oh come now, do you mean to imply that in all of the electronic games medium, you can't find a single example of a game that isn't sexist?
She is doing an educational series on the usage, history and nature of certain sexist tropes within video games. Of which we have only seen the introductory video of one series focusing on one such trope.

If I were teaching a class on, say, the history of Promethian figures in science fiction literature, I wouldn't include books that didn't include such figures.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 07:08:13 pm »

What would suggest as a "different way" then? Because I can't think of anything else other than more women trying to get hired as game designers or something.
Either learn to deal with it, because it's really not that big of a problem. Or they can actually point out the poorly written characters, and suggest on ways to improve them. More females in the gaming community would help too, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. If you're the minority, don't expect the majority to completely change their hobby because you don't particularly like it.

Welcome to Reality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 277