Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poisoned weapons without DFhack  (Read 2542 times)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poisoned weapons without DFhack
« on: May 16, 2019, 02:52:02 am »

What if add reaction of glazing weapon by venom? Will it work or only spatter can enter in blood?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Poisoned weapons without DFhack
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 07:19:46 pm »

only coated contaminants can apply syndromes. It's this weird things where only a liquid, dust can effect via contact. Liquid can enter blood, gas can be inhaled. And solid and liquids ingested. 

So sadly without some DFHack scripting improvements to an item cannot apply syndromes (Unless Toady changes that whenever the next release is)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 09:44:05 am »

only coated contaminants can apply syndromes. It's this weird things where only a liquid, dust can effect via contact. Liquid can enter blood, gas can be inhaled. And solid and liquids ingested. 

So sadly without some DFHack scripting improvements to an item cannot apply syndromes (Unless Toady changes that whenever the next release is)

This thread is a repost of a question asked and open-ended answered by me in the 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION] (*fixed the link)thread, so i don't really see why the OP is asking it again louder unless they are just really eager to find out if there's a way.

Since i hadn't gotten back to replying to that, i haven't tried it because i'd been too busy at the moment and im a little technically rusty on the steps that'd be required with syndromes to make a start. The assumption is on the basis that if a material on touch can apply a effect, then the material change to glazing a applicable object could create a contact effect which is suitable for weapons.

No transferral of the syndrome splatter/source itself, though reactions could be applied to generalise it towards simplified poisoned glazes so that it recieves poison in its manufacture appropriate to the kind of the effect of the glaze at the kiln with material classes.

Here's the transcript i found with the syndrome tree being discussed pulled from discord, I rattled around my brains and searched it up.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:49:39 am by FantasticDorf »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 10:21:20 am »

The best vanilla option I can come up with is finding an evil biome with a poison rain and leaving some arrows/bolts sitting on the ground to get covered in goo, but even that might not work if goo rain doesn't transfer to items.

Your sword might get goo on it if you have it strapped to your body, since it gets all over clothes and body parts.
But if the goo is something worth poisoning your sword with, it's probably already killed you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:51:56 am »

The best vanilla option I can come up with is finding an evil biome with a poison rain and leaving some arrows/bolts sitting on the ground to get covered in goo, but even that might not work if goo rain doesn't transfer to items.

Your sword might get goo on it if you have it strapped to your body, since it gets all over clothes and body parts.
But if the goo is something worth poisoning your sword with, it's probably already killed you.
Imagine dying to some rain
This post was made by vampire gang
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 02:28:08 pm »

You could also dump the weapons into puddles of syndrome substance. Of course then you need to get them out of it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 02:38:19 pm »

You could also dump the weapons into puddles of syndrome substance. Of course then you need to get them out of it.
What if milk venom from snake into barrel, remove barrel, but leave venom, dump weapon into venom and take from it? Will edged weapons add syndromes when cut skin?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 07:26:06 pm »

I dont think items stored in containers (like barrels) interact, so you might not get venom on the sword just by putting them in the same barrel. Try dumping the venom on the ground, maybe? Doesnt look like that will work. Tried tossing my starting weapons in a pool of blood, dropping or throwing them, no luck. Strapping them to my body and rolling in the blood doesnt get anything on them either.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:37:43 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 07:48:10 pm »

I dont think items stored in containers (like barrels) interact, so you might not get venom on the sword just by putting them in the same barrel. Try dumping the venom on the ground, maybe? Doesnt look like that will work. Tried tossing my starting weapons in a pool of blood, dropping or throwing them, no luck. Strapping them to my body and rolling in the blood doesnt get anything on them either.
What about water contaminated with a substance, and then throwing them there?

Because I swear I've seen items coated in stuff.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 12:14:30 am »

Only way you can dump a barrel's contents of liquids forcibly (for things like gnomeblight) is to set it on fire and have it be destroyed above what you're splattering. You could try finding a way for dwarves to offload it into a mug or jug to spill but that's nigh impractical.

Im not even sure if you could target a mug or jug in a reaction to be the recipient, then dump it out of that container, but you might get more done with a bucket which definitely can be targeted, whether anything inside can be dumped is a different matter. It'd need to be done over a high up edge in order to prompt the dwarves to drop it and probably to splat.

Do mugs/jugs/buckets spill their contents when dropped at height?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 12:16:14 am by FantasticDorf »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 01:08:15 am »

If you want to coat items in fortress mode, you need to move the barrel/container with the desired venom/substance near a hole 1-z level above the items at the bottom of the hole. Then I think you designate the liquid to be dumped but not the barrel. Also that hole should be set as a garbage/dump zone so the toss the liquid down the hole onto the items.

At least that's what I vaguely remember from the old steps way back. Remember, if it's raining, it will clean those items (if you go out in it)