Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1415921 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #750 on: October 22, 2016, 12:56:33 pm »

So the wiki says that no matter how long we train an animal, it will never reach the "domesticated" status, and as such the civ will never use it. If this is wrong, then someone should probably correct the wiki with an example and explanation like the one FantasticDorf gave me.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 22, 2016, 01:21:18 pm »

So the wiki says that no matter how long we train an animal, it will never reach the "domesticated" status, and as such the civ will never use it. If this is wrong, then someone should probably correct the wiki with an example and explanation like the one FantasticDorf gave me.

Im quite sure in my analysis, but I could have misjudged something or you could interpret the wiki as saying "It would take so long that it may as well be figuratively impossible". Again if anybody with a more recent sheet of facts would like to come in and correct us both that'd be great. I recently came back from a break from DF so i wouldn't be suprised if i was a tiny bit off centre.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 22, 2016, 05:16:21 pm »

If you ever add a "finality" sphere, would a valid priest title for a god of finality be "the First Last"?

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 22, 2016, 06:11:09 pm »

If you ever add a "finality" sphere, would a valid priest title for a god of finality be "the First Last"?

Is the title of their position "The First" or is that to signify that they're the first high priest of that god? I don't think I've seen "The Second" etc so it might be the prior.
It would get quite tedious having "The Fifteenth Last", I'd be wondering about The Last Last.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 22, 2016, 06:13:27 pm »

Is the title of their position "The First" or is that to signify that they're the first high priest of that god? I don't think I've seen "The Second" etc so it might be the prior.
It would get quite tedious having "The Fifteenth Last", I'd be wondering about The Last Last.
In a world where no one bats an eye at a title like Final Fantasy VII, the Fifteenth Last doesn't seem so bad.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 22, 2016, 06:14:20 pm »

seeing as the sphere is finality, i would think "grand terminus" or "eschatologist" would be better.

xMAWLx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 22, 2016, 06:53:23 pm »

Given that cubic centimeters can be arranged in a variety of ways, are there any plans to add more descriptive tokens to creatures? I would like to know how tall things are.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 23, 2016, 03:59:33 am »

Given that cubic centimeters can be arranged in a variety of ways, are there any plans to add more descriptive tokens to creatures? I would like to know how tall things are.

Easy peasy and already in the height in the raws
Code: ("a dwarf being a sort of 'average 'small humanoid size' and default for unmodded DF mode'") [Select]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:168:15000]
[BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000]

Compared to
Code: ("figuratively two dogs standing on top of each other would be the height of a dwarf, regardless of actual body appearance modifiers) [Select]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:1000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:12500]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:30000]

And other things are handled by [BODY APPEARANCE MODIFIER: Height/Width/Broadness : etc : etc : etc] which are already descriptive but imperfectly defined, if a creature even goblin sized (which is a midge smaller or equal to a dwarf) is classed as 'tall' relative to others of its kind descriptively it wont be restricted so badly to two handed weapons and larger armour within a range. Toady has expressed interest before into properly realizing size as to being relative to multiple planes or multiple tiles, to say a dragon hatchling takes up 1 tile but a young adult might be 1 additional z level high and surrounding 8 tiles wide.

Given how combat works now, if the head was virtually raised to a second z level, from ground level (as simulated with fighting flying monsters) you could probably stab at it. Again it needs to be fully realised and the combat system would need tweaking to either raise yourself up to attack your target (climbing) or knock the monster down to the ground in order to hit at it.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 23, 2016, 08:32:37 am »

I have had always trouble picturing how multi-tile creatures would work
Like, I suppose combat and material degradation should be reworked first for it to work, you know, only being able to atack a dragon's head when he tries to bite you, powerful enouh enemies being able to destroy walls and terraform scenarios based on their strength and the wall's material, etc.
If only those three things were added to the game, the game would enter a new level of  difficulty.
Imagine setting a long corridor-entrance in your fort, and an hydra breaks the door, and forces its head through the whole corridor, devouring your dwarves. Not only that would require new AI, but it should also reduce the hydra's mobility when atacking. There are just too many things to consider before it is added

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 23, 2016, 10:37:45 am »

I have had always trouble picturing how multi-tile creatures would work
Like, I suppose combat and material degradation should be reworked first for it to work, you know, only being able to atack a dragon's head when he tries to bite you, powerful enouh enemies being able to destroy walls and terraform scenarios based on their strength and the wall's material, etc.

Terraforming comes under a category of its own really, differences between rapid clawing vs material strength for mining & deconstruction, vs using a pick (molemen without picks!)

Attacking whilst the dragon is actually trying to attack you is harder since most of the time your character automatically blocks/jumps out of the way for that 'turn' and it would actually require a re-write of the combat tick/parry system as to say you parry and attack at the same time rather than parry randomly striking out, and ensuring you hit with enough force to repel the first attack either in the same instance if you decide to not parry.

On one hand, its a quick direct hit (*slowed by nessecity to spend time parrying by a +skilled at biting dragon making it harder*) so if you fail the parry roll RNG and go to attack, the dragon will likely bite you in two by exchanging blows.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 24, 2016, 01:04:41 am »

Whenever multi-tile creatures come up I wonder how they'd deal with the fact that most forts don't have ceilings higher than one z-level, it'd be kind of weird to make a bronze colossus crawl on all fours while it's going on a rampage. Or like, what if you just make your fort with only 1x1 entrances.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 24, 2016, 04:23:37 am »

Well, it's certainly one way of making sure that megabeasts can't get you. I means that you can't bring in war elephants though.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 24, 2016, 08:04:23 am »

Will the sale of Artifacts become a part of either Worldgen or Fort/Adv mode? If so, how do you plan to implement this?
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 24, 2016, 08:20:32 am »

Will the sale of Artifacts become a part of either Worldgen or Fort/Adv mode? If so, how do you plan to implement this?
Just looking off of how Artifacts are either holy, symbols of power, or heirlooms, I don't think it's likely that well-to-do entity merchants are going to have any business selling their civ's artifacts.

Sieges, player squads, and thieves seem to be the only ones confirmed to be moving artifacts between sites (for now), so maybe there could be some illicit trading with them.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 24, 2016, 09:23:23 am »

Whenever multi-tile creatures come up I wonder how they'd deal with the fact that most forts don't have ceilings higher than one z-level, it'd be kind of weird to make a bronze colossus crawl on all fours while it's going on a rampage. Or like, what if you just make your fort with only 1x1 entrances.

If air quality is ever modeled it might become one reason to have higher ceilings. But that wouldn't stop you making a low entry. Anyway, if you're making a fortress it's legitimate to keep it unsuitable for giant killing machines.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 211