Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: easier setup for hauling routes  (Read 1813 times)

whitecold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
easier setup for hauling routes
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:43:40 pm »

the new minecarts are great, but setting up a large system is very time consuming.
My Suggestions to make it easier to set these route up:

Ability to assign multiple minecarts to the same route:
If you need to clear out stone or transport large amounts of fluid, one minecart is not enough. right now you need tons of identical routes cluttering the interface.

copy/pasting stop orders:
Like in the military scheduling tab the ability to copy-paste orders from one stop to another. useful if you have complicated orders

changing stop locations:
right now a stop location is fixed after creation. if you need to change it, you need enter all orders again

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: easier setup for hauling routes
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 02:34:10 pm »

These all sound like good ideas, especially the first (since you can't micromanage it away). Although that idea has other issues; what happens if the second minecart is moving faster than the first for some reason?

...Also, what happens to a dwarf stuck between two minecarts? Or, should I say "crushed?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rakushun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 07:02:36 am »

what happens if the second minecart is moving faster than the first for some reason?

...Also, what happens to a dwarf stuck between two minecarts? Or, should I say "crushed?"

FUN.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:11:54 am »

Tor both or just the second event?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rakushun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:03:52 pm »

Both.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 03:23:35 pm »

Transport Tycoon had a great system for railroads. As to two minecarts per track, is would be possible under these assumptions: A stop can accept more than one cart, but only one cart is ever allowed at a track without stops or semaphores. This would work like so:

0) A has 2 mine carts f and g.  B has none.
1) Mine cart f is loaded and is sent towards B. g is being loaded.
2) f reaches B. The track is now free. g can be sent or f can return.
3a) g reaches B, which now has both carts. The track is free, so one of them is immediately sent to A and then the other, because the cart at A will be empty upon arrival.
3b) f reaches A. Loaded g is immediately sent to B, while f is being filled.

This way there would be higher efficiency and no collisions.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral