Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 202412 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1215 on: January 13, 2019, 07:33:56 am »

I managed to muddle through on the tenth or so attempt. Warriors don't care about your positioning at all and will happily bully you into the water. Thankfully the map I eventually got had so much terrain that i could get some semblance of a hexagon and then just quickstepped my archers out as they got threatened. Poison crossbow also helped.

I think i'm starting to get overly attatched to my current 12 though. Their stats aren't amazing and getting a better hire up to scratch without killing them is going to be a real challenge.

Edit: I seem to literally just be recounting my exploits, but yeah, 7 alps, in a swamp. Thank god I'd just bought 10 dogs.

Edit2: In an attempt to quit leapfrogging, I'm just gonna keep dropping edits. Try not to go adjacent because their sleep is a 7 hex aoe. Also get naked, also run four men at each one, 'cos their range is pretty drastic. If you have dogs do dogs.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:34:05 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: January 13, 2019, 11:16:12 am »

My alp fight is one direwolf and three alps, scattered all over the map.  I guess I have to run the entire company at each one at a time, making sure everyone's adjacent?  What a chore.
Shoes...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: January 13, 2019, 03:39:27 pm »

No, don't fight Alps while next to each other. Sleep attacks have AOE of one hex to each direction. That means you have to keep your guys spaced out by one step at least, so they can wake each other up. Dogs for the win, though they can fall asleep too.

I like the concept of alps, but the practical fighting against them is horribly boring. Not challenging, just boring, it is like grinding in some MMORPG. So I just choose never take Alp contracts if I can avoid it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:04:58 pm by Majestic7 »

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: January 13, 2019, 05:06:08 pm »

Yeah, Alps are difficult in the first two fights until you figure how they work.
Then it's just a chore. Even 6-7 of them can take up to 20 turns. Cool concept, poor implementation.

The devs said they will look to make them more interesting.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: January 14, 2019, 12:17:27 am »

I dunno, I'm fighting nine currently and it's pretty messed up.
Mostly it's because I get to go first on the first turn, but they go first on the second. Which means they can sleep up to 18 of my dudes, which pretty much means almost everyone, and a few dogs.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: January 14, 2019, 10:30:46 am »

And that's why I'd rather have higher level Alps fights through in some apes or direwolves instead of just scaling them up.

If you know you're going to be fighting alps, get your men drinks. They're less likely to sleep the higher the resolve they have.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: January 14, 2019, 07:12:34 pm »

Got ambushed by five alps and found out a fun trick.  I'm not sure exactly what happened, but while it was on the "you got attacked by bullshit monsters and there's nothing you can do to avoid this fight hahahahaha fuck you" screen I accidentally hit pause and opened the inventory at the same time, and when I closed the inventory the ambush screen was gone and the alp pawn on the map was locked in place and couldn't chase me when I left.

adapt your strategies to the enemy
Shoes...

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: January 14, 2019, 08:12:32 pm »

Interesting bug. Mind telling me more about it? I’d love to let the developers know...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: January 14, 2019, 08:43:02 pm »

Nope, you get what you get, it's a single-player game.

Fighting necrosavants now.  Are all the new expansion monsters just varying shades of "i'd rather abandon the contract and accept the penalties than deal with this bullshit?"
Shoes...

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: January 14, 2019, 09:00:35 pm »

Nope, you get what you get, it's a single-player game.

Fighting necrosavants now.  Are all the new expansion monsters just varying shades of "i'd rather abandon the contract and accept the penalties than deal with this bullshit?"
Necrosavants are from the base game. I feel like the expansion made early game easier frankly.

Can't wait till you fight goblins.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: January 14, 2019, 09:11:08 pm »

I haven't had much trouble with goblins, though I haven't done any 3-skull goblins yet.
Shoes...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: January 15, 2019, 06:22:21 am »

I had the entire greenskin invasion start and end without seeing anything more than skirmishers and wolfriders.
Is actually interesting. Does the Khan actually spawn on the map and at some point he'll attack a town and get smooshed and that's the end of it? 'Cos I usually just get the word from the other side of the map.

Edit Re: Beasts- I feel that. I’m at a post-100 Day company and I can now take on 5 unholds, killing maybe one every two turns. But I recently attacked four scrats and was almost butchered, even including the surfeit of hatchets I was rocking. Hilariously it’s only after getting grounded enough to support a greatsword along with my longaxe that I learned of the hilarity that are saplings. Cute, but the stagger certainly isn’t. Thankfully only finding one Hex at a time, but if they’re ever accompanied by something other than webnichts or direwolves I am seriously not eager to find out about it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:42:54 am by Tack »

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: January 15, 2019, 09:50:45 am »

Are all the new expansion monsters just varying shades of "i'd rather abandon the contract and accept the penalties than deal with this bullshit?"

The problem with the DLC monsters is, they aren't early game material, but they can appear very early.

Webknechts are easy but, in large numbers, they can easily overwhelm a starting company.
Alps aren't a big deal when you learn the tricks, unless in big numbers.
Hexen are a mixed bag, depending on the accompanying monsters.

But the other enemies should be avoided completely in the early game.
Unholds, Schrats and the upgraded Lindwurms completely wreck young companies, and shit on your corpses when they are done. 5+ lindwurms can be a big problem even for 150+ days companies.
So skip "big game hunt" contracts completely, for a long while.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: January 15, 2019, 02:23:53 pm »

I think Hexen, Lindwurms and Unholds are fun to fight. Spiders too. Alps are just fucking annoying, but not difficult. Ents are both annoying and difficult.

What I kind of miss is more human enemies, though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: January 15, 2019, 10:11:31 pm »

I don't know, I still mostly fight bandits in my 100+ days game. Though those are mostly the contracts I take. Lots of greenskin contracts, too, but that's because of the invasion.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 98