Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964410 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Why an Aquila and not an Admech cogwheel, though?

Because ultimately it's a Space Marine themed case, not a mechanicus one. Plus, I just really like the Aquila.

Pretty awesome. Didn't like the melting face however.

Would you be willing to expand on why? I'm just curious. The case is made from about 4 different surface materials. The amazing shading he did on the sides wouldn't work on the front panel; it's glass-smooth impermeable plastic. So he had to do something different there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

...I still prefer my Earth Caste equipment, regardless of how old it is! It's still more equal than gue'la machine spirits!

In all seriousness though that's pretty damned cool. I do wonder if they make Tau themed ones, though...probably not, but everything short of the propaganda poster informational motivating imagery would probably be easy enough to do myself if I really wanted to, if not as impressive. Upsides and downsides of a clean-line aesthetic.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

Oh no that I didn't like the the art as such, just that the image of the face dripping wouldn't have been my first option. A battle barge or a marine chopping down an ork would have been better if the technique allows such fine details.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Oh no that I didn't like the the art as such, just that the image of the face dripping wouldn't have been my first option. A battle barge or a marine chopping down an ork would have been better if the technique allows such fine details.

It really didn't. You can't see from the pics but when you get close to it, he used really broad lines to do that. It's quite messy up close, actually.

And it's supposed to be either Sanguinius or The Emperor. Either kind of fits.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

Those were my guesses. Still is far more awesome than my bland vanilla case :P
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

So then.

Who wants to hear about the latest in the long line of special snowflake chapters? (:P)

In all seriousness though, this thread might be a good place for people to dump their fluff/fiction. I've been wanting to try and write an actual story for 40k for a while. Probably focused on one of my two special snowflake chapters, which I have despite not even playing as the SMs, mostly because I find it more difficult to find good Tau lore to base my Cadre off of, though I've already got some work done for that.

I'm also considering trying to start a suggestion and/or RP game based around the Sky Sentinels, since they've received precisely one line of fluff text and thus are simultaneously canonical and able to be molded into anything I want.

Other thing: I now really want to kit out my PC when I have the chance to be Tau-ized.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion: 40k's new edition details leaked
« Reply #186 on: March 08, 2015, 07:27:54 am »

Here's some news for you: some of 40k's new edition details got leaked.

Source: http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/05/news-40ks-new-edition-details-leaked.html

Biggest news seem to be 'unbound armies', meaning you'll apparently be allowed to treat the Force Organisation Chart as 'guidelines' rather than strict rules.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 08, 2015, 07:46:51 am »

Psychic phase sounds like a rip-off from WH:F "Magic phase".

Also, I predict armies made out of a single overpowered unit being popular.
._.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2015, 07:58:20 am »

Ahahahah, that was from 5/5/2014
7th ed is out, has been for a little while, and everyone is insanely on the fence about it.

But it's an excellent reason for a necro of a thread which I had completely forgotten the existence of.

Fun 7th ed stuff:
Flamers now have the 'NO ESCAPE' rule which means that when you use a flamer on an Open Topped Vehicle or Fire Port of Building (Very, Very specific, Closed-in vehicles are fine), all infantry embarked in them take an automatic d6 automatic hits (or something, that last bit is paraphrased).
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 08, 2015, 08:38:04 am »

Ahahahah, that was from 5/5/2014
7th ed is out, has been for a little while, and everyone is insanely on the fence about it.

But it's an excellent reason for a necro of a thread which I had completely forgotten the existence of.

Fun 7th ed stuff:
Flamers now have the 'NO ESCAPE' rule which means that when you use a flamer on an Open Topped Vehicle or Fire Port of Building (Very, Very specific, Closed-in vehicles are fine), all infantry embarked in them take an automatic d6 automatic hits (or something, that last bit is paraphrased).

Weird, it was with the first hits when I googled '40K news'.

Either way, good an excuse as any to complain about the newest edition (a time honored tradition).

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion: checking dates is for squares edition.
« Reply #190 on: March 08, 2015, 09:08:40 am »

They have brought out a bunch of new units to coincide with their CEO stepping down, and bumped up the prices again.
Mostly with a large amount of previously Epic or Apocalypse units becoming W40K standard units, introducing super-heavy vehicles, and the Lord of War slot.
I Very much do not like this.

Lord of War slot basically is for superheavy vehicles (Stompa, Baneblade, etc) or the 'Codex Hero' (Ghazkhull Thraka, Kaldor Draigo.)

Also, I predict armies made out of a single overpowered unit being popular.
Yes, the Imperial Knight.
But FW has made an all-knights force org chart, just in case battlebound didn't tickle your fancy.

For other 40K news, 7th Ed codexes out include:
Orks
Space Wolves
Grey Knights
Dark Eldar
Blood Angels
Necrons

and

Harlequins
Yes, they have their own codex now.

LEAKED: The Creative Assembly (Total War: Franchise) are working on a Warhammer Fantasy game.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:10:19 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 08, 2015, 09:27:29 am »

You really should move this thread into the "other games" board.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2015, 09:39:59 am »

I'd argue, but it's not like I won't just be using This thread to talk about it anyway.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2015, 09:47:44 am »

You really should move this thread into the "other games" board.

Why? This thread is for the entire franchise, spanning books, games, tabletop, or even just lore discussions. And can serve to channel derails in other threads.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2015, 09:00:24 pm »

Well other comparable franchise stuff e.g. the Ultima franchise thread is in "other games" even though there have been Ultima boardgames, novels, PC games etc. Pokemon threads are in "other games" and that has perhaps more credibility as a multimedia franchise than WH40K (card games, video games, TV shows, comics, books), plus Pokemon gets referenced much more often than WH40K. So by that argument we should have General Discussion threads for ALL game franchises.

Saying because you can have "lore discussions" isn't really a reason that this belongs in general discussion better than Other Games. Any game series has lore you can discuss, that doesn't mean all game series belong in "General Discussion" and not the games board.

And can serve to channel derails in other threads.

How often does a 40K derail happen in General Discussion? I can't recall any. Anyway, if a derail happens you need to point people at the correct thread anyway, and then it doesn't matter what board it's on. If you put it to Other Games you're more likely to get read by people who want to read about games.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:06:11 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 824