Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964304 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: nuking the Warp edition.
« Reply #390 on: May 06, 2015, 09:17:16 am »

Guard and marine players really did screw up bigtime during that black crusade event.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 06, 2015, 09:30:42 am »

A method of rapid interstellar travel that didn't rely on the Warp would help things a lot. Indeed, if such a technology was available before the Horus Heresy, it probably would never have occurred in the first place and everything would be better off.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 06, 2015, 09:36:20 am »

There's already been a WAAAGH!!! into the Eye of Terror.

It ran roughshod over a few daemon worlds before getting killed on a Khornate Daemon Prince's world. Then Khorne resurrected all the orks because he found it amusing. The orks all get back to fighting, die again, get resurrected and get back to fighting, rinse and repeat for a few days.

Khorne found the insatiable bloodlust and fearless nature of the orks admirable, so he pulled the entire WAAAGH!!! into his own warp domain and cast them into the mountains. As it turns out ork spores can grow just fine in the Warp, so there's now an unending cycle of orks fighting Khorne's daemon armies, dieing, and their spores growing in the mountains to make a new army.

Source: current Chaos Daemons codex.

So orks don't pose much if any threat to the chaos gods.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 06, 2015, 10:35:00 am »

A method of rapid interstellar travel that didn't rely on the Warp would help things a lot. Indeed, if such a technology was available before the Horus Heresy, it probably would never have occurred in the first place and everything would be better off.
Webway.
Emperor was working on that.
Magnus kinda screwed it.

Also the Tyranids have some kind of gravity shunt system which makes you go faster depending on the mass of the thing you're heading towards and how far away from it you are.
Meaning that they go crazy quickly from deep-space to our space, then slow down dramatically once they actually get here.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 06, 2015, 11:12:53 am »

Webway.
Emperor was working on that.
Magnus kinda screwed it.

Also the Tyranids have some kind of gravity shunt system which makes you go faster depending on the mass of the thing you're heading towards and how far away from it you are.
Meaning that they go crazy quickly from deep-space to our space, then slow down dramatically once they actually get here.

They call this the 'plot drama engine', or as it's called in the alien's native language, "SKRIE SKRIE SKRIE".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 06, 2015, 11:17:30 am »

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:25:08 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 06, 2015, 04:03:38 pm »

Guard and marine players really did screw up bigtime during that black crusade event.
Do they make story events based on what happens in actual real games?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 06, 2015, 04:10:16 pm »

Yes, sorta.
http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2014/12/lore-13th-black-crusade.html
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/392010.page

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 06, 2015, 08:18:49 pm »

The last time they did it was for the Storm of Magic expansion for Fantasy. Which has since been retconned by the End Times.

40k had two big events, the War for Armageddon and the Eye of Terror campaign. The former is still cannon, the latter has been retconned away for the most part.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 06, 2015, 11:22:16 pm »

If they figured out how to make female space marines, would the Imperium gain any significant advantage from essentially doubling the amount of space marines they can produce?
Well... yeah duh they would. Having twice as many space marines is only a bad thing for the enemies of the imperium at this point. Though it wouldn't be enough to make a significant difference on the galactic scale and isn't gonna happen since the gene seed they use to make space marines is incompatible with females because the Emperor distilled them from the genes of the Primarchs, which were all male. If there were a female Primarch, maybe. But there isn't so no.
As a reminder, 40k science is founded on bullshit and machismo. Biologically that's actually bullshit.(one chromosome, oh no so hard to change as the Emperor of Mankind).

If I remember right and the source was accurate, he did it on purpose to prevent possibility of Space Marines becoming self-sustaining race of tyrant kings. Although he could have just made the females barren, but I think it's fairly well established he was at least somewhat sexist and didn't always make the best decisions, as indicated by the Council of Nikaea and, you know, the whole Horus Heresy thing.

Also as far as I knew the Nids avoided Necron worlds because the biomass cost to biomass reward ratio simply wasn't worth it. I mean, Necrons controlled one galaxy? And corrupted the Warp in this one location? Whereas Tyranids have, in all likelihood eaten several galaxies, and probably found a way to eat the entire planet rather than merely the juicy bits, along the way? Unless Necrons all spontaneously awaken, unite their fractured dynasties, and put down or quell the Imperium enough to get shit done, or Chaos wins and everything is daemons, or Orks win just in time for the WAAAGH the size of a galaxy to turn on the Tyranids, the galaxy is fucked. Or, since we're talking about such impossible scenarios(by which I mean GW advancing the plot line or changing the status quo), we can also say that if everyone came together in peace and friendship and allied all of their might against the Tyranids by making use of all of their best technologies freely shared and free of suspicion or religious fanaticism,then they might have a chance. Hell, at that point, they've already accomplished the harder of the two tasks.

That said, fully awakened Necrons would be pretty damn scary.

But so would a Tau Empire if it was about 20x it's current size.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 07, 2015, 01:01:24 am »

If they figured out how to make female space marines, would the Imperium gain any significant advantage from essentially doubling the amount of space marines they can produce?
Well... yeah duh they would. Having twice as many space marines is only a bad thing for the enemies of the imperium at this point. Though it wouldn't be enough to make a significant difference on the galactic scale and isn't gonna happen since the gene seed they use to make space marines is incompatible with females because the Emperor distilled them from the genes of the Primarchs, which were all male. If there were a female Primarch, maybe. But there isn't so no.
As a reminder, 40k science is founded on bullshit and machismo. Biologically that's actually bullshit.(one chromosome, oh no so hard to change as the Emperor of Mankind).

If I remember right and the source was accurate, he did it on purpose to prevent possibility of Space Marines becoming self-sustaining race of tyrant kings. Although he could have just made the females barren, but I think it's fairly well established he was at least somewhat sexist and didn't always make the best decisions, as indicated by the Council of Nikaea and, you know, the whole Horus Heresy thing.

I think I heard about 10 different reasonings by this point, altough the "I dont want them to become dominant"-thing sounds pretty reasonable compared to some of the others.

And I think "Didnt allways make the best decisions" is putting it mildly. For anyone wanting to know what a complete moron Big E was from time to time, go back and read up on some of the Traitor Legions. If I remember correctly half if not more of them ditched the Empire not because "Oh we so evul son", but because of bad decision-making and a lot of Space Marine Chapters being humongous a**hats to each other. I like a lot of the Legions, but I allways found the Horus Heresy to be pretty stupid as far as Backstories go.

English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 07, 2015, 01:11:38 am »

I heard that the Tyranids are running from something.

Also, I'd like to think that the whole 'all space marines are men' thing was done before the great PC war - so I wanna give it a shot at not being tarred with the misogyny brush just yet.
Plus I guess all the women just become sisters because the Ecclisiarchy needs all the soldiers it can get and they are constitutionally not allowed to field men.

(Although in lore most sisters come from the Scholar Progenum (Commissar school).

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 07, 2015, 03:50:49 am »

But so would a Tau Empire if it was about 20x it's current size.

Eeh, I dunno, without a better ways of travel it'd be a huge problem for them. The larger the empire, the more things that can attack it at the same time from different angles, and without a quick way to redeploy forces... Yeah.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 07, 2015, 04:25:36 am »

SKRIE
Hah. Flipped link. Can't believe there's actually a website called Skrie though.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 07, 2015, 05:57:44 am »

Are warhammer 40k and warhammer in middle ages in same universe?
Make love not war
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 824