Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964437 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: nuking the Warp edition.
« Reply #600 on: May 13, 2015, 01:26:36 pm »

That's not exactly how the books paint it. There is an actual webway portal IN the throne room. That's what Magnus broke through, that's what the Emperor was trying to open. The Golden Throne, at least as I understand it, wasn't part of that project.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 13, 2015, 01:29:00 pm »

The Golden Throne was the initial gate in the Imperial Webway project where the Emperor was basically building his way into the Webway so that humans wouldn't have to rely on shitty warp travel.
Or it was going to be before Magnus fucked it up and caused a demonic incursion that the Custodes have been fighting for the past 10,000 years.
Yeah, that. The webway portal was the Emps attempt to make a safe form of warp travel.

Then the Emperor had to sit on it so Terra didn't get eaten by the Warp. When he went to fight Horus, Malcador sat on it instead as the only psyker remotely powerful enough to use it, but he crumbled to dust as a result and is very, very dead. Possibly his soul, too. And thus died the most competent and reliable dude in the whole 40k mythos.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 13, 2015, 01:34:31 pm »

That's not exactly how the books paint it. There is an actual webway portal IN the throne room. That's what Magnus broke through, that's what the Emperor was trying to open. The Golden Throne, at least as I understand it, wasn't part of that project.
I dunno then, from what I remember it was some ancient artifact that let him focus his powers into manually constructing a section of Webway to connect to the whole network or something.

Checking sources from teh internets, yeah it was a device that amplified psychic power that Emps MacGyvered into a preservation device when he got beaten up.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 13, 2015, 01:37:16 pm »

Well I guess we'll know the truth of it soon. The HH series of novels are rapidly approaching the Battle for Terra. Assuming they don't stuff another couple years worth of short stories in there. (The most recent entry is made up of short stories ranging from 2 to 10 pages. Seems like every couple of books they release that actual deal with history, they insert a filler novel in there.)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 13, 2015, 01:39:11 pm »

Oh, those are actually still going? I thought it was complete already what with the description of the emperor's lazer being more powerful than a supernova and shit.
Sig! Onol

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 13, 2015, 01:50:22 pm »

Nah, it's not even close to finished. There's the build up to the Battle for Terra, the Battle for Terra (which will get a lot of play I think) then the aftermath.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 13, 2015, 01:56:28 pm »

Woah damn then.
And yeah the Battle of Terra's definetely going to get a shit-ton of coverage - just as the Heresy was the biggest event in the Imperium's history, so the battle of Terra was the biggest event in the heresy, and the duel between father and son was the biggest event in the battle.
Man there were so many awesome moments in that from what I vaguely remember.
Hmm.
D'you happen to know which book started off the series? I'd like to get into them.
Sig! Onol

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 13, 2015, 01:59:09 pm »

Horus Rising is the first book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horus_Heresy_%28novels%29

Currently on Book 32 and going strong.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 13, 2015, 02:03:24 pm »

Daaaamn son.
Welp better get reading then.
Sig! Onol

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 13, 2015, 02:21:25 pm »

Well I guess we'll know the truth of it soon. The HH series of novels are rapidly approaching the Battle for Terra. Assuming they don't stuff another couple years worth of short stories in there. (The most recent entry is made up of short stories ranging from 2 to 10 pages. Seems like every couple of books they release that actual deal with history, they insert a filler novel in there.)

Yeah, Legacies of Betrayal was a really weird book. It had one (or two?) longer novellas, then a few normal-length short stories - and a lot of bizarre, super-short stories that were more like single scenes that really didn't show much anything.

@Xant:

I haven't read each and every book, but I can recommend the first five or so - not because they're necessarily super-good, but because they're kinda essential to understanding the whole thing - then Legion, Mechanicum, Tales of Heresy (this is the best of the collections by far), A Thousand Sons, Prospero Burns, Know No Fear (I used to think McNeill was the best when it came to writing scenes of combat and destruction, but hooooly shiiit Abnett), Unremembered Empire and Scars.

I'm sure you'll choose which ones interest you most, and people might disagree with me here, but these are my favorites. I wanted to like Fear to Tread (I want to see Sanguinius in all his glory, damnit), but it was kinda dull, bah. The Outcast Dead and Nemesis also focus on something else than Marines, so that already makes them stand out - they have some cool bits, so go fer 'em too.

I haven't read Battle for the Abyss (I think), Fallen Angels, The Primarchs, Shadows of Treachery, Angel Exterminatus (though I might get it next), Mark of Calth, Damnation of Pythos or Vengeful Spirit, or any of the audiobooks and whatnot. Are these any good, anyone?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 13, 2015, 02:32:41 pm »

Yeah, Legacies of Betrayal was a really weird book. It had one (or two?) longer novellas, then a few normal-length short stories - and a lot of bizarre, super-short stories that were more like single scenes that really didn't show much anything.

I think, had I gone into LoB from other HH books, the format would have made more sense. But coming from other 40k novels to jump back into the HH....yeah, the format definitely struck me as weird. There's one story where Horus is basically doing "Alas Poor Yorick" with the skull of Ferrus Manus, talking to himself. And a lot of the stories are meant to expand on the lives of characters already covered in the HH novels (like Sharrowkyn.) But consider the...what? Probably 10,000 pages of literature up to know, I could barely remember who these people were or what they had done in the Heresy up until now. It made for a fairly weird read through.

Also, because Angron gets quite a few stories in LoB, it really highlights how different authors handle things. In one story he's articulate and well, human, talking to Lorgar about beating up some Dark Eldar. In another story, taking place at pretty much the exact same time, he's a "maddened beast chained up in the belly of the Conqueror, warping the ship around himself with the power of the Warp."

but hooooly shiiit Abnett

Ditto. I like McNeil but compared to Abnett, he's writing at the 8th grade level :P If they were to pick one author to represent the 40k IP, Abnett would get my vote. But he has a pretty successful writing career outside of 40k, so I imagine he'll always be a sort of guest author. Despite writing the best fucking Imperial Guard novels fucking ever.

Props to McNeil thought for writing some of the more fucked up shit to come out of "Nu-Hammer." (Nothing holds a candle to how messed up the early 80s 40k stuff was.) McNeil is responsible for gems of literature like the Inculaba or whatever that Chaos Space Marine breeding thing is called.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:37:00 pm by nenjin »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 13, 2015, 02:55:09 pm »

I don't think those two particular Angron stories were set at the same time, though.

I used to think Abnett was the best overall, but when it came to writing combat scenes, McNeill had no equal (I remember being hella impressed with the Ultramarines books, but I should probably reread them, it's been years). Now... maybe Abnett is just the best at everything out of the BL authors.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 13, 2015, 02:57:53 pm »

And yet:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 13, 2015, 03:13:49 pm »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 13, 2015, 03:23:36 pm »

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:25:49 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 824