Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964443 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

I don't know if I asked this before, but does the Imperium have an apparatus where they mass-mind read entire planets?

Probably. All the factions probably do.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I don't know if I asked this before, but does the Imperium have an apparatus where they mass-mind read entire planets?

Probably doable with an Alpha-level psyker hooked up to a nightmarish piece of Dark Age Tech. And a couple dozen or hundred scribes to record it all and parse the data. If you're asking about a specific piece of recurring, named technology, no, not to my knowledge.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Typically, the Imperium gets by with psyniscience scans for at security chokepoints.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was some alpha primaris psyker, who was mind dominating populations of several planets in the same time without any psychic amplification, so probably alpha primaris can already do that( probably that was on some fringeworlds not with hiveworld level of population, though)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Oh, they definitely can, have no doubt. The Alpha-Plus fetus that mindjacked its own mother and subsequently the entire planet is proof enough of that.

However, acts of mass and continuous psychic power almost always call down corruption. The Imperium avoids it with good cause.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile

Yeah, it's probably safer to cyclonic torpedo the planet to kill the three cultists than to use that kind of psychic power and actually find them.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Yes.
Because with that kind of psychic power, if something goes wrong you have an insanely powerful (as in, Magnus-tier evil psyker, OR EVEN WORSE) deamon at best, and second Eye of Terror at worst.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile

If it were that easy to make Eyes of Terror, then the whole galaxy would be inside the immaterium. Neither Alpha tier psykers nor things going horribly wrong are too rare, on a galactic scale.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Calling down a warp storm is a possibility, however. Only the strongest psykers could take an area from stable to the winds of chaos, but there are plenty of places all across the galaxy where the veil is thinned and weakened, and in those places all it takes is one powerful act to open the floodgates.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

If it were that easy to make Eyes of Terror, then the whole galaxy would be inside the immaterium. Neither Alpha tier psykers nor things going horribly wrong are too rare, on a galactic scale.
I said at worst. There are various steps of SHIT GOING WRONG, SHIT GOING HORRIBLY WRONG, SHIT GOING HORRENDOUSLY HORRIBLY WRONG and so on. Second Eye of Terror is the LETTING LORGAR AND EREBUS NEAR HORUS level of things going wrong, most of the time you would only have smaller Warp Storms or whatever.
Also, Alpha-tier psykers are the ones that are RARE AS FUCK. I belive only Imperial-controlled Alphas at this point are few Grey Knight Mary Sues. In general, it is said that Imperium is not sufficently powerful to contain Alphas and stop them from going batshit insane.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

If I remember correctly, Imperial policy is just to kill on sight no matter the circumstances, because the chance of taint is just too high.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was some alpha primaris psyker, who was mind dominating populations of several planets in the same time without any psychic amplification, so probably alpha primaris can already do that( probably that was on some fringeworlds not with hiveworld level of population, though)
Oh, they definitely can, have no doubt. The Alpha-Plus fetus that mindjacked its own mother and subsequently the entire planet is proof enough of that.
Sources? I'd love to read about this stuff.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

Im kind of confused here, there are psychic disciplines which lets you heal people...so why does nobody heal the fucking emperor? I know, i know naive question and all that but i want a reason why some one cant just regrow flesh and nerves and make the fucker whole again.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

For the same reason the Emperor doesn't heal himself. He didn't just get bodily dismembered, he got metaphysically shredded by Chaos. As a whole, or as least as close as it can be to uniting into a singular force. Same reason the Black Rage exists, Sanguinius was killed so hard it resonates through all of his descendants forever.

Similar things happened to Ollanius Pius and, ironically, Horus himself. Both of them were killed so hard that killed isn't even the right word, you want something more like erased. 
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread:
« Reply #7769 on: December 12, 2016, 05:12:48 am »

For the same reason the Emperor doesn't heal himself. He didn't just get bodily dismembered, he got metaphysically shredded by Chaos. As a whole, or as least as close as it can be to uniting into a singular force. Same reason the Black Rage exists, Sanguinius was killed so hard it resonates through all of his descendants forever.

Similar things happened to Ollanius Pius and, ironically, Horus himself. Both of them were killed so hard that killed isn't even the right word, you want something more like erased.

Yes, they were super killed.
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 824