Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 963174 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: A comparative biology of Beastmen.
« Reply #10200 on: March 07, 2018, 12:55:54 pm »

I keep forgetting that’s not a soul-drinker specific thing.
But yeah. Technically all of the secrets should have been laid bare with enough zombiechomping.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10201 on: March 07, 2018, 01:11:38 pm »

come to think of it, couldnt a sm om nom on an ethereal and gain its memory?

Probably, the memory uptake isn't perfect and they really don't like doing it though. The Tau are also really good at keeping Ethereal bodies out of enemy hands and pretending they never died in the first place, so I doubt the opportunity has ever come up at a time when the marines felt it was necessary.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: March 07, 2018, 01:31:08 pm »

Also I thought SDs had a mutation to the organ which made their recall more intense and detailed.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: March 07, 2018, 03:31:12 pm »

My assumption would be that the braineater quality only really works on humans and is lossy even then.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: March 07, 2018, 03:40:29 pm »

My assumption would be that the braineater quality only really works on humans and is lossy even then.

It canonically works on aliens too, but it's usually only used to gain knowledge of how to do things like drive xenos vehicles in desperate situations. Memories gained are usually temporary and partial, as well as very unpleasant for the Astartes mind to process.

Also according to Siege of Castellax ork brains taste terrible.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10205 on: March 07, 2018, 03:52:39 pm »

When Fabius Bile orchestrated Lucius the eternal and whole emperors children noise marine band sudden release in Comorragh to spook of Haemonculi,
he used his ( whatever this astartes organ for getting info out of eaten stuff ) to read books and parchment scrolls in haemunculi archives by EATING THEM.
So it is probably effecient enough to read scientific literature.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: March 07, 2018, 03:54:22 pm »

Fabius Bile is somewhat of an outlier. In many ways.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10207 on: March 07, 2018, 04:20:17 pm »

Turns out he hacked his.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10208 on: March 07, 2018, 04:26:50 pm »

It canonically works on aliens too, but it's usually only used to gain knowledge of how to do things like drive xenos vehicles in desperate situations. Memories gained are usually temporary and partial, as well as very unpleasant for the Astartes mind to process.

Also according to Siege of Castellax ork brains taste terrible.

Considering that they're supposed to be wierd fungus-like (and yet not remotely fungus-like) organisms....

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10209 on: March 07, 2018, 04:32:39 pm »

Same, I'm surprised they have brains at all.  I'm sure they die from headshots, but only because that's what they expect to happen.  If they notice.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10210 on: March 07, 2018, 07:14:13 pm »

And their name isn't Ghazghkull. Then they just become the prophet of their entire race.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10211 on: March 07, 2018, 07:48:56 pm »

Have you ever like, wondered why the emperor built brain-eating into his supersolders? Just because he can, basically?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: March 07, 2018, 08:19:34 pm »

It's an immensely valuable espionage ability. Let's you skip right past all the torturing people for information and wondering if you know the truth. Just eat Putin's brain.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10213 on: March 07, 2018, 08:48:17 pm »

The in universe explanation is probably something to do with learning passcodes and how to operate machinery as well as some tactical/strategic information. It's quicker to eat a guy's brain and learn the way to open a door or shut off a defense system than it is to hack it or blow it up.

From a meta-perspective who knows. The Astartes were originally gangs of marauding thugs who grew organs in slaves and served as a form of militarised police a lot of the time. Not sure if the unique organs were all from Rogue Trader days or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: March 07, 2018, 11:45:39 pm »

It's just one more tool in the toolbox to make them the ultimate soldier. They don't just know their enemies by the weapons or tactics they use. They can know them through and through, brain to balls.

I suspect use of the organ fell out of favor though in the latter years of 40k, what with HERESY being more central than ever to the 40k universe. I can't imagine getting any closer to a moral threat than eating it and experiencing something else's perspective.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 824