Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566651 times)

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2010, 06:39:59 pm »

The Future of the Fortress is looking extremely good!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2010, 06:46:41 pm »

Personally, I think the chartreuse color is easier to read.

Will plant-gathering from wild shrubs go in fairly early? I can't find it specifically mentioned on the list, but it seems like something that's fairly simple, both survival-wise and programming-wise.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2010, 07:00:27 pm »

Quote from: RCIX
Will i be able to define my guilds? Because i'd honestly like those to match up with my generalized dwarf labor plans, and not have infighting among, for instance, Crafters because they share different guilds and happened to get into a brawl.

One of the ideas was to give dwarves some freedom to associate as they like and to make more use of their friends, families and grudges so there is some push and pull.  Turning off infighting would be a possibility, although hopefully it won't need to come to that.  I'm not quite sure what your situation is (things like lots of miner-craftsdwarf dwarves?  or just different craft combinations?), but it'll be good to go into some specific examples and see what sorts of situations will arise.  We're sure the guild/religion/etc subgroup mechanism will add a lot to the game, but we haven't charted the exact path yet, and we'll be proceeding cautiously when we get there.  The idea certainly isn't to add a strictly annoying burden (like a new shell mandate), but to provide emerging challenges, more atmosphere and more things to do.er because they hate rocks and would prefer the powder either never exist or just gets dispersed as with the dust in a cave-in, but I'm not sure.

I just meant that i would kinda like to see all my Crafters (which do all crafting, plus construction tasks) worship the same Crafing god or whatever, and have one guild i can satisfy at once. That's all :)
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2010, 07:11:32 pm »

if you guys don't want enemies digging into your mountain, place sentry towers in strategic places and intercept them before they bring the sappers. a scar or two in your fortress will only give it some history, and if you let it become a swiss cheese you're probably not meant to survive and should probably be playing with invaders off. I'm eager to engrave the tunnels the enemies dug with picture of their slaughter.

Quote from: from the devlog
Ability to till tile (faster with tool)
will other jobs in fortress mode requires or benefit from tools? like smithing require a hammer, carpenting require a saw, farming requiring...the farming thingie, etc?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2010, 07:13:31 pm »

farming requiring...the farming thingie, etc?

A hoe?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2010, 07:19:31 pm »

yeah, that

also this

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2010, 07:29:15 pm »

I think, if I remember correctly.

That Fortress mode will still be extrapolated when it comes to tools, while Adventurer mode will still require them.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2010, 07:34:24 pm »

Does this entity population center thing mean that our fortresses will have suburbs? Because I am cool with that.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2010, 07:40:12 pm »

Does this entity population center thing mean that our fortresses will have suburbs? Because I am cool with that.
The word is that you'll be able to have outlaying settlements to pull soldiers and resources from for your armies, and have your fortress serve as a central government and, well, fortress. It will allow bigger armies without dealing with FPS death.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2010, 08:12:50 pm »

yeah, that

also this
Plows I could see. They're large enough and you'll need relatively few of them. Could probably fall into the siege engine system.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2010, 08:20:49 pm »

Build walls in the underground rooms to stop diggers.

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes obsidian for its shinyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2010, 09:11:14 pm »

I think with digging invaders we should use the material system to keep things in check.

With soil and rocks having different hardness, you could require invaders to be armed with hard-enough tools to be able to actually dig through it. So, kobolds with copper tools might only be able to dig through soil, but bronze-armed goblins can take on softer stone (like sandstone). Humans with their iron picks can manage hard rock, like granite. Elves will have to stand there and and look pansy, unless they descend below the kobold level and dig away with wooden training picks :P Creatures will have similar abilities, based on the material hardness of their claws. Groundhogs could maybe manage soil, but you'd need a forgotten beast at least to tackle obsidian.

Constructions could either add or take away from the strength of a natural stone, I'm still undecided on that. Smoothing might also make a difference, potentially.

Dwarf Fortress - "It's like if Tolkien taught your Geology 101 class, but you were drunk and playing the Sims during the lecture. Then you had a dream that got them all confused."

Obsidian 3D Visualizer Toolset - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Obsidian
A Lua-riffic collection of modules to render, manipulate, save and generally mess with your forts.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2010, 09:19:12 pm »

I think with digging invaders we should use the material system to keep things in check.

With soil and rocks having different hardness, you could require invaders to be armed with hard-enough tools to be able to actually dig through it. So, kobolds with copper tools might only be able to dig through soil, but bronze-armed goblins can take on softer stone (like sandstone). Humans with their iron picks can manage hard rock, like granite. Elves will have to stand there and and look pansy, unless they descend below the kobold level and dig away with wooden training picks :P Creatures will have similar abilities, based on the material hardness of their claws. Groundhogs could maybe manage soil, but you'd need a forgotten beast at least to tackle obsidian.

Constructions could either add or take away from the strength of a natural stone, I'm still undecided on that. Smoothing might also make a difference, potentially.

That was all covered in the big Suggestions thread on tunneling enemies (plus another thread).  This discussion should probably move there, since it's repeatedly shown its potential to utterly derail a thread.

Also, this item
  • Ability to offer quick deaths to mortally wounded people to get them to talk
is super hardcore.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:22:14 pm by Footkerchief »

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2010, 09:26:02 pm »

I dont think this makes much sense since our dwarves can dig through fun metal with copper picks
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:06:35 pm by Randall Octagonapus »
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2010, 10:02:52 pm »

I'm curious to see how mine carts will be implemented. I hope there will be some entertaining bugs with them, like atomsmashing whatever's pulling it whenever it moves or something.

Let's start guessing what bugs will show up with each new feature!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 342