Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566103 times)

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1530 on: October 27, 2010, 12:45:40 am »

Want to storm that castle.

Hoping some get sacked in worldgen or become otherwise discounted as 'owned' sites so I can embark on one.  Megaprojects for the incredibly lazy!
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: October 27, 2010, 01:19:22 am »

4 tiles wide walls and 2 tiles wide walkways on top of those walls are definitely the right choice. Thick enough to be reasonable for a wall, a wide enough path to not have to lay down to pass someone by, and to get attacked by multiple unimpeded defenders (the way it should be) Though maybe the keep's walls could be 2 tiles thick instead of 1 and not have what looks like a natural stone roof; of course if the last image was never posted we'd have never known. :P
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: October 27, 2010, 05:05:51 am »

The DF community gives Toady megaprojects and Toady gives back random generated megaprojects!

Looking forward to expore these castles in stonesense.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: October 27, 2010, 05:13:19 am »

4 tiles wide walls and 2 tiles wide walkways on top of those walls are definitely the right choice. Thick enough to be reasonable for a wall, a wide enough path to not have to lay down to pass someone by, and to get attacked by multiple unimpeded defenders (the way it should be) Though maybe the keep's walls could be 2 tiles thick instead of 1 and not have what looks like a natural stone roof; of course if the last image was never posted we'd have never known. :P

I think that the walls should only be fortified on the outer edge tough, that's how we see castles on the real life.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: October 27, 2010, 07:21:02 am »

I almost always build an aboveground castle in the same fashion as Toady's.

Unfortunately those make mine look dinky.  My walls are at most 2 tiles thick.  And while the lowest level of my towers usually include a balissta they are only a dinky 5x6 square.

I'll need to redesign heh.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: October 27, 2010, 08:05:11 am »

Wow, these are gorgeous! Three images of three castles which are all stylistically similar but adaptive to the terrain and different in detailing is ... well, mind-blowing. The implications for this are tremendous, and I imagine the coding must have been a bit as well. ;)

I was wowed first with the farms and huts being more terrain-smart, but now I'm just officially blown away. That greystone keep on the red and grey terrain is just ... wow. Can't wait to have fun defeating my enemies by building a massive aqueduct that pours water into the main courtyard until all the human rats are dead! :D

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: October 27, 2010, 08:15:46 am »

Ok new rule: Megaproject = everything meaningless but still awesome and bigger then a ingame castle.

Serioulsy i like the new castles. I wish we could get the wooden variant like the rebuild castle/stronghold in Raddusch (Germany ). The castle, made by the sorbs, is entirely constructed out of wood-logs as seen here. Its mostly a Ringwall as seen here and here including a moat. It also would really piss any elves in 100 Kilometers range.  :o
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: October 27, 2010, 08:17:39 am »

Always being a dorf first, my forts tend to not have a central keep but a fortified staircase.
Sometimes, when prosperous, I'm able to fortify to every direction (Outward, inwards, up, down).
Paranoia is a dwarven survival trait. :)

But, yeah. My forts now look dinky too. :(
Although the gatehouse(s) tends to be bigger and more defendable, than in these designs.

No access for wagons either here, which is almost a prerequisite for a dwarven Fort. (yeah ok, it is only a castle outside a village, no commercial function.)

Quite cool and flexible design.
In-game architecture should inspire dorfmode players to ever greater projects.
Also loving the way the terrain is not altered as the earlier towers did in such dramatic manner.
Though I worry about the disconnect between instantaneously instantiated worldgen building and the playerfort that takes centuries to complete.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: October 27, 2010, 08:26:36 am »

Though I worry about the disconnect between instantaneously instantiated worldgen building and the playerfort that takes centuries to complete.

Oh well if this thing is room based governed by "rules"* you could do various stages of completeness with an added shitton of masons and haulers.

Will this castles serve also a strategical important during worldgen in the next release? Like blocking an important pass over a mountain-range for an invading army?

* like: every tower need an adjacent wall
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: October 27, 2010, 08:45:58 am »

It gets better and better  :D
I seriously was not expecting castles. Even if they are not really used for anything, the "keep" is gorgeous for some reason. Plus, terrain-sensitivity is an added bonus that makes it more realistic.
Man there are just so many new things in this release, plus since Toady's said he's almost out of time... I guess it'll be soon :O

Yakefa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: October 27, 2010, 10:43:24 am »

I think I missed something, where are the lastest notes? (and this castle everybody is talking about)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: October 27, 2010, 12:00:23 pm »

Really liking the new castles! Much more interesting than the old giant rectangles.

Are castles just a human-only thing right now? Will other races be getting interesting places soon?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1543 on: October 27, 2010, 12:07:28 pm »

Really liking the new castles! Much more interesting than the old giant rectangles.

Are castles just a human-only thing right now? Will other races be getting interesting places soon?

It's probably on the same track as the human villages and sprawl: Humans first, then others later.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: October 27, 2010, 12:32:36 pm »

Well right now Toady only really programmed in Castle Walls

Which while yes much more interesting... it is still sort of blank.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 342