Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566712 times)

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2565 on: December 14, 2010, 02:59:55 pm »

- I'd love a some type of herding job, for animal caretakers, who could be assisted by huntingdogs...

Hunting dogs don't herd. They hunt!
Quoting for emphasis.

I wouldn't want a hunting dog to herd my sheep on the princible that hunting dogs are to scare animals out of hiding(and will bite for the kill), and you wouldn't want your flock of sheep to panic. Especcially because sheep+panic+corridors of a fortress+booze+fire = FUN like only dwarf fortress can give it to you.

Fixed that for you...
Actually, that's wrong, the game uses ‼, not !!. Also, he wasn't talking about ‼Fun‼, he was talking about Fun. He didn't mention fire in any way.

I disagree.  I used !!.  I just set it to glow, which makes them appear to be spaced apart. Also, I agree that there was no initial mention of fiery Fun, but the idea of booze-soaked sheep, bleating in a flaming panic running through the corridors seemed like good, dwarvenly ‼Fun‼.  Is it ever a bad thing add ‼fire‼;)

Edit: I retract my disagreement.  However, lacking the mad keyboarding skillz to generate a ‼, I used two adjacent bangs. I have fixed all occurrences in this reply.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:02:39 pm by Ratbert_CP »
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2566 on: December 14, 2010, 03:04:53 pm »

Ahem.

Sheep Fortress.

Your dwarves are sheep. They can be trimmed periodically. Consider this.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: December 14, 2010, 03:13:16 pm »

Ahem.

Sheep Fortress.

So they can wear clothing woven from their own beards?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: December 14, 2010, 03:17:00 pm »

Let's not go there, lest the subject of milk come up.  Just...no.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: December 14, 2010, 03:17:30 pm »

Their beards are all the clothing dwarves need.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: December 14, 2010, 03:18:25 pm »

Ahem.

Sheep Fortress.

Your dwarves will not be happy about this. Prepare for a facepunch epidemic.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: December 14, 2010, 03:22:35 pm »

Yeah well on the other hand pigs have a tremendous amount of fat that would burn after the oil is gone. Also they are are much stronger and heavier which makes them more deadly.

... only in dwarf fortress.

Actually, the Romans used incendiary pigs fairly often. 600lbs of flaming, screaming, hoofed fat comes running at you, you get out of the way. They also have a tendency to explode, due to the fat boiling away before the skin breeches, leading to over-pressurizing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: December 14, 2010, 03:23:54 pm »

Let's not go there, lest the subject of milk come up.  Just...no.

The fluffy wambler tickles Urist in the lower body, but it's deflected by the -dwarf beard loincloth-!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: December 14, 2010, 03:29:58 pm »

Pastures, it could just be like the farm plots as someone mentioned, and you would need a couple planks (logs, whatever) to use for the perimeter, but it automatically sets these up as the pasture is built (it wouldn't take as many planks as setting up a wall manually). Maybe when feeding animals is in they automatically eat grass that grows there, or they have to be fed using certain plants (cave wheat?)

Animals that get fed more often produce milk/eggs/wool a bit more often than those that go without food for long periods of time, maybe?

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: December 14, 2010, 03:33:34 pm »

Since eggs are imminently up on the development list, just wanted to link an old suggestion found on the wiki that covers basically everything one could ever want for egg laying behavior: Token Wishlist

Kesc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: December 14, 2010, 03:35:47 pm »

Are you planing stuffs like independent civ evolution, being those based on their resources and knowledge, on the world gen? Something like tribals, then small cities, then nations... While others don't evolve because they have no resources(Like Colombo going to America). Each one evolving their own language... Something like prehistory to middle ages.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: December 14, 2010, 03:50:26 pm »

I think fenced off or enclosed pastures for grazing livestock would be anachronistic. Some way of keeping them out of the dining room would probably make sense though.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2577 on: December 14, 2010, 05:11:20 pm »

How about clay pots: the alternative to wooden barrels/bins that you can sell to the elves...(Or maybe not, as it would probly involve baking and thus wood... But even then most river-clays can harden fine by themselves so baking shouldn't be required...)

baking is required to make the clay vitrify. Without that it will return to mud when you wet it. A low-fired piece is probably not going to be water tight (you can get close by buffing the surface with excruciatingly fine clay) unless glazed. Lead glazes were popular because they fire at low temperatures.

Also, I hope that we can fire multiple pieces at once, or make barrel sized pieces (One less requirement for trees). And magma pottery kilns. mmmmm.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: December 14, 2010, 05:24:44 pm »

Would that also mean you would be able to make multiple metal bars at a time? Maybe if when you used a fuel it would burn for a set amount of time where the workshop can be used to make whatever. That way if you tell them to make one thing then it won't be as productive as making a bunch of them with the fuel available. *shrug*

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: December 14, 2010, 06:13:11 pm »

Will dwarves (and those poor goblins whose friends got roasted) learn a healthy fear of fire soon? At least improved sieges would require this, I think.

Now that the economy is being worked on, will adventure mode trading be improved?
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 342