Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569312 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2550 on: December 14, 2010, 09:49:34 am »

Well it will be interresting to see the time/egg ratio. Even in Medieval times some chicken breeds (intorduced into Europe by the turks iirc) could lay 150 eggs per year. Given that you gather the eggs as soon as they are layed.
Chickens have the advantage of being very adamant about where they lay eggs and they accept human made nesting opportunities pretty fast. So you can set up nesting boxes before you move in the chickens so that they will nest on them. Btw. parting the cocks from the chickens isnt needed* even if a egg is fertilized its still eatable right after it is Layed if you gather and cool the eggs they still as eatable as unfertilized eggs. Also you dont need a cock to get eggs.

Chickens (well more modern breeds) grow also very fast. In 8 to 12 weeks they reach theyr Butchering weight and only need 1.5 Kilograms to grow 1kg of meat. For most other (modern) Farm animals you need 4 (pigs) to 10 Kilograms (cows) of food per Kilogram meat. The pig-breed "Yorkshire-pig" gathers btw. 750g of meat per day.

* In modern times male chicks get seperated from Egg-laying breeds. Same goes for female chicks in breeds that are grown for theyr meat. Said chicks get gassed and exported to zoos, snake-owners etc. or sqisched in a Chicksqischer (more like shreddere). The chick-shred goes then, among other industrys, into pet-food and fertilizer. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: December 14, 2010, 10:57:15 am »

I wonder how could pastures be best implemented?
- A single multitile building, like bridges, but only enclosing instead of covering?
 (would require some hardcoding to get animals in and out)
- Wall-like constructions, that allow ingress, but not egress of animals...?
!  --> I was also wondering how difficult it would be to expand the custom pathing values to include directionality? (e.g. like restricted to the east, high traffic to the west and normal value to the other cardinal directions)
- I'd love a some type of herding job, for animal caretakers, who could be assisted by huntingdogs...
 (I suspect this could be handled with a modified squad coherency AI, not sure how FPS would fare with animals trying to get away and being dragged back by dogs)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:14:37 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2552 on: December 14, 2010, 11:03:34 am »

I think a farm plot would be the better building analogy for a (fenced) pasture. Assign animals like a cage. Really, the cage works mechanically, its just too small.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: December 14, 2010, 11:09:16 am »

- I'd love a some type of herding job, for animal caretakers, who could be assisted by huntingdogs...

Hunting dogs don't herd. They hunt!

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: December 14, 2010, 11:19:38 am »

I think a farm plot would be the better building analogy for a (fenced) pasture. Assign animals like a cage. Really, the cage works mechanically, its just too small.

cages also prevent breeding, which can be an issue if you need it, although I've only ever needed to force breeding when I had 2 giant desert scorpions - every other fort was so full of puppies that 'puppy liver roast' was the #1 menu item.

...is anyone else thinking about weaponized beehives? If we have pottery and bees, then it's only a short jump to catapulting enraged bees into goblin sieges.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: December 14, 2010, 11:21:05 am »

Yes that could work. include a door and some wall bars or grates as fence and its all set.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2556 on: December 14, 2010, 12:04:35 pm »

Quoting for emphasis.

I wouldn't want a hunting dog to herd my sheep on the princible that hunting dogs are to scare animals out of hiding(and will bite for the kill), and you wouldn't want your flock of sheep to panic. Especcially because sheep+panic+corridors of a fortress = FUN like only dwarf fortress can give it to you.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: December 14, 2010, 01:01:13 pm »

Hey that sounds like an awesome new trap. Spatter pigs in oil light them on fire and make sure that they panic-stampede into the directions of the goblins.

Proud to be a Furry.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #2558 on: December 14, 2010, 01:01:26 pm »

Quoting for emphasis.

I wouldn't want a hunting dog to herd my sheep on the princible that hunting dogs are to scare animals out of hiding(and will bite for the kill), and you wouldn't want your flock of sheep to panic. Especcially because sheep+panic+corridors of a fortress+booze+fire = !!FUN!! like only dwarf fortress can give it to you.

Fixed that for you...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: December 14, 2010, 01:20:18 pm »

[1] Especially once it's no longer possible that one wall tile near the edge can obliquely support a huge and otherwise 'floating' castle over the top of almost all of the rest of the map, without some form of dislocation/collapse at the most least reinforced stress-point!

Of course, even if this does ever get implemented it would still be possible, provided the material strength at the point of stress is such that it can support the thing ...  ;)

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: December 14, 2010, 01:37:46 pm »

Quoting for emphasis.

I wouldn't want a hunting dog to herd my sheep on the princible that hunting dogs are to scare animals out of hiding(and will bite for the kill), and you wouldn't want your flock of sheep to panic. Especcially because sheep+panic+corridors of a fortress+booze+fire = !!FUN!! like only dwarf fortress can give it to you.

Fixed that for you...
Actually, that's wrong, the game uses ‼, not !!. Also, he wasn't talking about ‼Fun‼, he was talking about Fun. He didn't mention fire in any way.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: December 14, 2010, 01:58:17 pm »

Hey that sounds like an awesome new trap. Spatter pigs in oil light them on fire and make sure that they panic-stampede into the directions of the goblins.
:lol:
Sheep would be better at that, being -in essence- absorbant balls of fluff on legs.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: December 14, 2010, 02:04:33 pm »

Yeah well on the other hand pigs have a tremendous amount of fat that would burn after the oil is gone. Also they are are much stronger and heavier which makes them more deadly.

... only in dwarf fortress.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:20:15 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: December 14, 2010, 02:56:52 pm »

Quoting for emphasis.

Fixed that for you...
Actually, that's wrong, the game uses ‼, not !!. Also, he wasn't talking about ‼Fun‼, he was talking about Fun. He didn't mention fire in any way.

I like how you focus on the fact that he used the wrong ASCII characters instead of the fact that booze doesn't burn well at all, in DF or in real life.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: December 14, 2010, 02:59:36 pm »

Pigs are for eating. :p hmmm...bacón.

also: ah, so boozeplosions are an arcis myth...interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 342