Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566101 times)

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2580 on: December 14, 2010, 06:24:13 pm »

Are you planing stuffs like independent civ evolution, being those based on their resources and knowledge, on the world gen? Something like tribals, then small cities, then nations... While others don't evolve because they have no resources(Like Colombo going to America). Each one evolving their own language... Something like prehistory to middle ages.

It's not really lack of resources, it's lack of interaction with other civilizations and cultures.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: December 14, 2010, 06:53:40 pm »

Yeah well on the other hand pigs have a tremendous amount of fat that would burn after the oil is gone. Also they are are much stronger and heavier which makes them more deadly.

... only in dwarf fortress.

Actually, the Romans used incendiary pigs fairly often. 600lbs of flaming, screaming, hoofed fat comes running at you, you get out of the way. They also have a tendency to explode, due to the fat boiling away before the skin breeches, leading to over-pressurizing.

Source PLZ.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: December 14, 2010, 06:59:42 pm »

Yeah well on the other hand pigs have a tremendous amount of fat that would burn after the oil is gone. Also they are are much stronger and heavier which makes them more deadly.

Actually, the Romans used incendiary pigs fairly often. 600lbs of flaming, screaming, hoofed fat comes running at you, you get out of the way. They also have a tendency to explode, due to the fat boiling away before the skin breeches, leading to over-pressurizing.

Source PLZ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_pig
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: December 14, 2010, 07:05:00 pm »

Does the current combat system take into account "angles of impact"? Or does that fall under square shots? If angles were calculated somehow, it would allow stuff like steel swords to sometimes deflect off copper armor because of a glancing blow/bad angle. Would balance the "lower grade" armor metals and make them at least a little bit useful compared to now. It happens rarely if at all in the current system.

Edit:
If it is simulated in the current system, it sure doesn't show.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:12:23 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: December 14, 2010, 07:16:05 pm »

Are you planing stuffs like independent civ evolution, being those based on their resources and knowledge, on the world gen? Something like tribals, then small cities, then nations... While others don't evolve because they have no resources(Like Colombo going to America). Each one evolving their own language... Something like prehistory to middle ages.

I had something to say, but I feared I would publicly pinpoint a subject that would make the thread potentially explode, and we don't want that.

I would love to see ethics being tracked down and interacting with each other. For example, a civilisation worshipping dreams would consider extremely evil to wake someone up and make this a capital punishment, but at some point a road connects them with another civilisation who doesn't see it as a problem. Then they could enter wars or one civilisation could talk the other into using its system or at least not to be bothered with it.
I think there was a DFTalk about this subject, somewhere...

This raises the question of different lifestyles, architecturally and economically. Are variations of lifestyle inside a race, without regards to ethics, planned to go in, like an entire human civilisation being nomad, or building temporary cities that are destroyed every 2 years, or food/water/cattle being considered a common property and handled at the hamlet/village level instead of personnal level, or houses built in a circle instead of a square, or underground instead of aboveground ?

Technological evolutions have been discussed countless times. We more or less settle for the fact that while it would be fun to watch inventions and technology spawn and spread and be stolen, we don't have in a common Fantasy world much to discover and thus we would probably be more annoyed by the absence of features than we would be pleased by discovering them.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:31 pm »

Does the current combat system take into account "angles of impact"? Or does that fall under square shots? If angles were calculated somehow, it would allow stuff like steel swords to sometimes deflect off copper armor because of a glancing blow/bad angle. Would balance the "lower grade" armor metals and make them at least a little bit useful compared to now. It happens rarely if at all in the current system.

Edit:
If it is simulated in the current system, it sure doesn't show.
I've seen it happen quite often (steel deflecting off iron) when I try a very non-square attack in adv. mode. It probably happens rarely because the creatures all choose the most square shots.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: December 14, 2010, 09:48:36 pm »

On a similar note to the flaming pigs as noted above, I seem to recall reading somewhere about an ancient Chinese weapon involving a great wad of explosives strapped to an ox. They'd give the ox a whack and send it off in the direction of the enemy.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: December 14, 2010, 09:52:05 pm »

Will 'milking' be replaced by some generic animal resource gathering skill of some sort?

Green'd that for ya

Source PLZ.

You may have seen it in the game Rome: Total War, although that is hardly a good source.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: December 14, 2010, 09:54:38 pm »

On a similar note to the flaming pigs as noted above, I seem to recall reading somewhere about an ancient Chinese weapon involving a great wad of explosives strapped to an ox. They'd give the ox a whack and send it off in the direction of the enemy.

Dogs carried explosives against fortifications and armored vehicles up to fairly recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: December 15, 2010, 12:02:41 am »

Will dwarves (and those poor goblins whose friends got roasted) learn a healthy fear of fire soon? At least improved sieges would require this, I think.

Now that the economy is being worked on, will adventure mode trading be improved?

The answer to that second question is "yes".

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: December 15, 2010, 01:42:54 am »

I like how you focus on the fact that he used the wrong ASCII characters instead of the fact that booze doesn't burn well at all, in DF or in real life.

Depends on the proof.

Will dwarves (and those poor goblins whose friends got roasted) learn a healthy fear of fire soon? At least improved sieges would require this, I think.

Now that the economy is being worked on, will adventure mode trading be improved?

Proper response to fire issues and implementing fire-fighting are both mentioned in the dev wish-list.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: December 15, 2010, 07:33:04 am »

Will 'milking' be replaced by some generic animal resource gathering skill of some sort?

Green'd that for ya

Source PLZ.

You may have seen it in the game Rome: Total War, although that is hardly a good source.

There's no reliable source to suggest that incendiary pigs were ever used at all, let alone widely.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: December 15, 2010, 07:59:50 am »

Still far from caught up, sorry, but...

I think I'd like to play AS a villian/night creature. You know, roaming from town to town, converting the population into horrific creatures at my command? Eventually I'd have a "Children Golem" division for extended psychological sieges.
That could be doable, given these bits:
Quote from: Adventurer Role: Slayer of Night Creatures
  • Curses and exposure
  •      Can be cursed by night creatures when you put them down
  •      The slaves of night creatures could have extreme effects from proximity that also affect you if you make a business of hunting them

Semi-related to the above, in a recent re-aquaintence with Adventurer Mode, I had a thought about "how do I know this boss is really bad?"  A curse might force alignment with other forces, but what if the Boss instead of (repeatedly!  even when he doesn't know I'm there!) shouting threats at me were to convince me (as a player, if not as a character) that he's more Robin Hood than anything else?

I'd bring the following aspects into this equation:

Quote from: DevLog page
Adventurer Mode: Hero
   Villains
      ...Generally, "villians" are just leaders of groups you oppose at the time...
   Capturing people alive and interrogations
      Allowing people to lie also applying to the "honest" villagers who send you out to raid the camp.  (They may have been lied to by their very own Sheriff of Mukcanesepum.)
      Reputation with entity populations, site governments, families and individuals (and other Reputation items)
Adventurer Role: Thief
   Bounties and being hunted
      (Various, but mainly) If your identity/appearance is associated to an alert over a crime, somebody responsible in the entity should put a bounty on you if appropriate for the entity
   Concealing your identity
      (Various of these could be involved)

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: December 15, 2010, 08:29:06 am »

I really hope that the wonderful new profusion of domesticated animals comes with some better animal management infrastructure . . . maybe agricultural zones to put them in where they don't constantly pathfind?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: December 15, 2010, 09:14:38 am »

I agree with above, the current lifestock is adequate to work out a functional animalhusbandry economy/workflow.
When the basics are working, more variation is welcome, but right now it is only a potential source of disruptive bugs and a distraction to Toady.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 342