Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566604 times)

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2865 on: January 08, 2011, 12:54:58 pm »

Woohooo  :o
Desu

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: January 08, 2011, 01:31:56 pm »

Wouldn't one of twenty Kobolds of a tribe stay and stand guard in the nest chamber of their home cave? Considering that they are prone to stealing, they'd be aware that other Kobolds are out there, capable of stealing their stuff and eggs.

Stealing someone else's offspring to raise as your own seems like a pretty questionable strategy from an evolution standpoint. It's like the inverse of what a cuckoo does.

Actually for pack animals it might make sense to prevent inbreeding.
Yea, and for there being advantages to simply living in a bigger tribe, and siblings helping each other and so on. It works best if kobold eggs are big and require lots of energy to produce, but kobolds don't require much intensive parenting.

Quote from: Dante link=topic=60554.msg1865671#msg1865671   date=1294464525
Stealing   someone else's offspring to raise as your own seems like a pretty   questionable strategy from an evolution standpoint.
Not   if you castrate em!
This'd probably be a good strategy to. Also very likely "slaves" would be killed and possibly eaten if food runs low enough that being in a large tribe stops being an advantage.

EDIT: someone should make a suggestion about all this.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: January 08, 2011, 01:36:38 pm »

Hey Did Toady change the background to the Animal Drive or is it just my computer?

Mind you on the Laptop I was using the background was 100% the Zebra stripes without the overlay for the writing.

Was Toady responsible or was it my Laptop?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2868 on: January 08, 2011, 04:25:52 pm »

Can we see how many people and the total donation per animal?

Just out of curiosity. (Under the assumption that such is easily available rather than distracting)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2869 on: January 08, 2011, 07:59:45 pm »

Wouldn't one of twenty Kobolds of a tribe stay and stand guard in the nest chamber of their home cave? Considering that they are prone to stealing, they'd be aware that other Kobolds are out there, capable of stealing their stuff and eggs.

Stealing someone else's offspring to raise as your own seems like a pretty questionable strategy from an evolution standpoint. It's like the inverse of what a cuckoo does.

Ah, but while not obviously advantageous, the additional members of the clans are available to do tasks that increase the survivability of the whole thing.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: January 08, 2011, 09:17:37 pm »

even if it wouldn't perpetuate the species or endorse the genetic purity of the race, it would still be a self perpetuating cultural habit... a good example would be the goblinless goblin civilizations we used to have before the population rewrite, the race disappeared, but the civ would survive.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: January 09, 2011, 02:28:33 am »

Hey Did Toady change the background to the Animal Drive or is it just my computer?

I guess your laptop may have chokedon the css (if there is one) file of that page.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: January 09, 2011, 04:27:05 am »

I guess your laptop may have chokedon the css (if there is one) file of that page.

Either that or my laptop is trying to give me an Epileptic Seizure

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: January 09, 2011, 07:51:44 am »

Mind you on the Laptop I was using the background was 100% the Zebra stripes without the overlay for the writing.

Was Toady responsible or was it my Laptop?

Out of curiosity, what browser are you using?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: January 09, 2011, 12:14:09 pm »

Quote from: Dante link=topic=60554.msg1865671#msg1865671   date=1294464525
Stealing   someone else's offspring to raise as your own seems like a pretty   questionable strategy from an evolution standpoint.
Not   if you castrate em!
This'd probably be a good strategy to. Also very likely "slaves" would be killed and possibly eaten if food runs low enough that being in a large tribe stops being an advantage.

EDIT: someone should make a suggestion about all this.
[/quote]

You guys are promoting an unsophisticated view of evolutionary fitness.  There's nothing inherently wrong with bringing people into your tribe or society (Criminy, you'd think the United States being a nation of immigrants and simultaneously being the most powerful nation on Earth would kind of demonstrate that) and there are any number of different ways in which the immigrants are integrated into the tribe.  Full membership, but subject to restrictions of age and clan is the most likely, given the technological level of the kobolds, but slavery is an option (though the kind of slavery practiced by early and small societies is not chattel slavery a la the American South or the later Roman Empire).
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: January 09, 2011, 01:02:27 pm »

Criminy, you'd think the United States being a nation of immigrants and simultaneously being the most powerful nation on Earth would kind of demonstrate that

I doubt it's the only factor to take into account. I would bet more on the geographical situation : only two borders, with no ennemy  around. No war was waged on american ground since the Civil War, I think ? It leaves the civilians free to do whatever they want. Waging a war doesn't really change anything for civilians in such a place.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2876 on: January 09, 2011, 01:05:01 pm »

Criminy, you'd think the United States being a nation of immigrants and simultaneously being the most powerful nation on Earth would kind of demonstrate that

I doubt it's the only factor to take into account. I would bet more on the geographical situation : only two borders, with no ennemy  around. No war was waged on american ground since the Civil War, I think ? It leaves the civilians free to do whatever they want. Waging a war doesn't really change anything for civilians in such a place.
WWII? Remember pearl harbor?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: January 09, 2011, 01:25:52 pm »

Pearl harbor started a foreign war. The only American soil that saw combat was a few Alaskan Islands, Hawaii, Midway, Wake, the Marinaras, and the Phillipenes, none of which were on the US mainland or were states.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2878 on: January 09, 2011, 01:30:33 pm »

Pearl harbor started a foreign war. The only American soil that saw combat was a few Alaskan Islands, Hawaii, Midway, Wake, the Marinaras, and the Phillipenes, none of which were on the US mainland or were states.
Derp. Just pointing that out.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: January 09, 2011, 01:43:06 pm »

WWII was fought 193?-1945. Alaska and Hawaii became states in the early 1950s.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 342