Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566711 times)

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2940 on: January 11, 2011, 08:31:30 pm »

yall know back in the day of the middle ages, in some cultures, fairies were an all encompassing term for vampires, goblins, elves, spirits, elementals, undead....etc.

my comment was a shot at the twilight vamps-who shouldve just been called fairies-who ever said fairies cant be violent and drink blood, imo, wouldve actually interested me then.

yeah...monster drive FTW, though my fav is already in.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: January 11, 2011, 08:54:22 pm »

Faeries.
*Hugs*

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: January 11, 2011, 08:59:17 pm »

my comment was a shot at the twilight vamps-who shouldve just been called fairies-who ever said fairies cant be violent and drink blood, imo, wouldve actually interested me then.

...Whoa.  You're actually right.  If they removed all references to "vampires" and just made them traditional faeries instead, it had the makings of a fair-quality urban fantasy.

(note that I did not say 'good-quality')
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: January 12, 2011, 12:01:18 am »

Cake and oil! But will it be flammable?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: January 12, 2011, 12:50:15 am »

In b4 jokes about "jugs"!

Seriously, I wonder about their usage. Will they be a step between bucket and barrel (think urns), or between bucket and flask (think milk jugs)?

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: January 12, 2011, 01:27:24 am »

Looks like a good way to stretch a food supply.

Turn one stack of items into two, cook them back together, voila!

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: January 12, 2011, 03:01:40 am »

Will the labour associated with operating a Screw Press be "Screwer"?

Also, more uses for Seeds is excellent, considering how quickly a 9 square farm plot can end up producing 200 seeds.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: January 12, 2011, 03:20:05 am »

Looks like a good way to stretch a food supply.

Yes indeed - I love how the game seems to be coming together - it almost feels like efforts to create a balanced supply and demand economy caused potential starvation problems for the peasants in the outer villages, leading in turn to the implementation of more food creation potential. Or something.

Will the next update have a greater than 0.31 version number? Bee keeping surely deserves a +0.01 all by itself :)
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: January 12, 2011, 04:35:54 am »

Are there plans to do something about the abundance of food in Fortress Mode? Right now, it's extremely easy to have almost endless food stocks - plants are easy to grow in huge numbers, using only a small land and dwarfpower; meat is very abundant thanks to the recent body changes which multiplied the number of food units in each creature, and thanks to massive and edible forgotten beasts; and now we have several new food sources to make things even easier. Doesn't this mean the player's fortress is a much bigger food producer than any other settlement on the world?
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2950 on: January 12, 2011, 06:35:40 am »

Will villages produce and export other goods besides food? And will they also demand materials for these?

I think it would be awesome if a nearby human town decided that they want to make walls or a special building of some kind and start mass-demanding stone blocks.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: January 12, 2011, 06:41:11 am »

(I'm only up to, like, page 5 of this whole thread, but I can't resist posting yet.)

So, when moving fortress pieces are implemented, how mobile will they be?

For example, will we be able to move something to any point of our map, move things off-map, move it within a certain radius/confine/prepared area?
Also:
Could we put buildings and furniture (Workshops, ballistae, beds and etc.) on them? (I ask this because of the unbuildability of bridges, our only moving fortress terrain) How will they be controlled? Powered? Locomoted? Will we be able to make moving fortresses of death? Will we be able to make dwarven mecha suits?! WILL I EVER ACCOMPLISH MY GOAL OF MAKING ONE OF THOSE RIDICULOUS IMPERATOR CLASS TITANS FROM 40K?!?! WHY AM I USING CAPS-LOCK AARGH SO EXCITED!

Ahem. Sorry about that. Too carried away with myself. Especially since my last mecha just sort of dribbled magma at a beach.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone has asked in this thread yet, but has much thought been put into steam-power/other power sources except wind and water? It might not be quite in the time period for steam power, but dwarves are pretty ridiculous. What about animal powered dynamos?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: January 12, 2011, 06:45:06 am »

Will the next update have a greater than 0.31 version number?
Considering the scope of the economic stuff going in, almost certainly. Footkerchief probably could provide an assessment of which cores are likely to involved, and a range that of numbers for how it could increment based depending on what Toady considers totally done. But there will be more going in than currently is in.
Bee keeping surely deserves a +0.01 all by itself :)
Nope.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: January 12, 2011, 07:34:10 am »

This probably won't be the entire Caravan Arc. Also remember the Army Arc is right around the corner, which is just as big. It wouldn't make much sense to release 0.32 now and 0.33 three months later when 0.31 has been around for so long. If I had to guess, I would say Toady will update the version number on the Army Arc release.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:53 am »

I thought the minor version number still tracked the number of core items implemented (hence the jump from 0.28 to 0.31). In that case, how long it takes to go from 0.32 to 0.33 wouldn't have anything to do with how long we've had 0.31.

Completing the Caravan Arc would imply two new core items (one of which, site resources, got worked on during the site sprawl development, so it's not out of the question), jumping right to 0.33.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Consolidated_Development:_Arcs,_core-items,_bloats,_Reqs_and_Powergoals
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 342