Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566615 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4005 on: March 13, 2011, 06:58:41 pm »

0000005: [Legends Mode -- Display] Underground regions have no names in Legends (Toady One) - resolved.
Might this mean the caverns have names now?

Nope -- the specific bug was the ugly " , "" " stuff you'd get, which is very buglike.  Now they are unnamed.  Since adding them, we'd intended the underground layers to be the first places you'd get to name yourself, but that hasn't happened yet.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: March 13, 2011, 07:04:45 pm »

Would this, by any chance, also affect things like "This is an engraving of the donkey and Urist McGeneric the dwarf. Urist McGeneric is striking down. This engraving relates to the slaying of " engravings that you get when an unnamed creature gets involved in combat? It's rare in vanilla, but I've seen it a good deal in mods that use the "no [can_speak]" methond of making this always hostile.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4007 on: March 13, 2011, 07:26:13 pm »

Nope.  I'd need to see a save for that, and even that might not help.  Getting it to reliably reproduce is the best way.  If all that's already on the bug tracker it'll just take time to get there.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: March 13, 2011, 08:56:55 pm »

Quote from: Toady 03/13/2011
  • made dwarves get crutches properly

Yay!  Crutches at last!
where is up?

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: March 13, 2011, 09:12:52 pm »

Yeah, bringing crutches to work is good news. As it is now I find it depressing that my bed-ridden veterans slowly rot away in the hospital while they could train the next generation of meatshields or hang out in the drinking hall as honorary fortress guards.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: March 13, 2011, 10:24:22 pm »

Any idea when we might see [PRINT_MODE:SHADER] for graphics?

EDIT: I'm supposed to pose questions to Toady in green right?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:53:16 pm by xtank5 »
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: March 13, 2011, 10:58:20 pm »

Oh, wow, I forgot I asked that first question, I would have redacted it if I'd remembered it, since 31.19 obviously answered that question for me.

Anyway, thanks for answering questions again, Toady.  Some of those are very interesting and useful to think about...

They do eat them, but they aren't supposed to, in the end.  I remember adding the muscle tissue to worms and thinking "grazers are going to eat this..." and then just taking a note and moving on.  So it'll be handled sometime, maybe extending the specific food tags to classes or something, or waiting for actual diet rewrites.  Until then, gummy treats!

That implies that flesh material types will actually have nutritional values and animals will try to eat specific plant or animal material types.  That would go a long way in making dietary tokens much more dynamic and potentially wierd and fun. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: March 14, 2011, 08:45:58 am »

omg crutches will work
*tears of joy*

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: March 14, 2011, 09:45:38 am »

omg crutches will work
*tears of joy*

My artistic rendering of your current state of overjoyedness.

All of these bug fixes are pretty awesome. .22 is likely going to be one of those very stable version everyone plays forever until the next stable version comes along.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:48:03 am by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: March 14, 2011, 10:01:01 am »

All of these bug fixes are pretty awesome. .22 is likely going to be one of those very stable version everyone plays forever until the next stable version comes along.

Especially because of towns suddenly being nice again.
I'm looking forward to these bugfixes even though I don't particular notice the bugs myself.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: March 14, 2011, 10:23:33 am »

I'm actually kind of amazed at how quickly the bug hunting is going... Toady spends one week working on some of these bugs from a year ago, and suddenly everything is sunshiney and works perfectly? 

I recognize that up to now, Toady has mainly focused upon the crash bugs, but I'd rather have some rare crash bugs with a game that fundamentally works than have a game where I don't even bother to have a hospital because of how debilitating the "minor" bugs are. 

It's hard to get excited about a "new feature" of hospitals when they never actually treat or heal anyone...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: March 14, 2011, 11:22:00 am »

Especially because of towns suddenly being nice again.

They won't be. The schedule, as I understand it,  lists content releases.  Following each of those is a release to fix new bugs from the previous release, then a release where old bugs are fixed. Hence, .22 will fix old hospital and stockpile bugs, .23 will have "Better town maps involving workshops/markets/shops based on world gen economic activities", .24 will fix bugs introduced in .23, .25 will fix more old bugs, and .26 will have "Villager/farmer schedules/activities and work with 3D mineral veins and mine maps".

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: March 14, 2011, 12:11:31 pm »

And .27 will likely fix bugs resulting from .26 and earlier.
くコ:彡

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: March 14, 2011, 12:43:40 pm »

*stuff about spheres*
hmm that would be nice.

Quote from: Dwarfu
what exactly is the functionality of the dwarf-mode inn?
DF Talk 12 will have more on this.
Hmm eagerly awaiting.

Quote from: nil
Will we get working crutches in dwarf mode soon, either in this release or the next?  It's one of the biggest bugs yet to be squashed, and it seems particularly tragic that after you went to the work of implementing this cool and useful feature something continues to keep it from actually working.
I'm planning to handle medical bugs included crutch use problems in the next few days.
YAY~ Next few days! I'll probably refrain from playing non-LP fort.

Quote from: G-Flex
With eyeball grass made out of eye tissue, and wormy grass made out of muscle tissue, how is it that cows and such are supposed to eat them? Assuming they actually can.

They do eat them, but they aren't supposed to, in the end.  I remember adding the muscle tissue to worms and thinking "grazers are going to eat this..." and then just taking a note and moving on.  So it'll be handled sometime, maybe extending the specific food tags to classes or something, or waiting for actual diet rewrites.  Until then, gummy treats!
Lol, this sounds cool.

Quote from: freeformschooler
will the town revamp starting with the next release finally give us elf/dwarf settlements with actual elves & dwarves?

Doing those prior to the dwarf mode army arc releases is the current plan, so that you have something to attack.  So in between the caravan releases and the army-related army arc releases.  If it comes up, it might happen sooner, if it's forced in some way by the trading, but that might not be how it works out.
Hmm is it possible to have at least placeholders for now (shallow caves for dwarves, circles of trees for hippies, etc.)? Or would it not make much sense to do that now?

Creepy.
:o

*ghost towns*
sounds interesting, cool.

Quote from: JohnieRWilkins
Do you see humans as the seafaring race? Will waterways and trade by ship play a central role to civilizations? Which races will participate in sailing and building ships? How large, in units of men and/or dwarfcube dimensions*, will the larger boats be in the future?

Footkerchief posted quite a bit on this one.  I just wanted to add that, yeah, some humans should be seafarers to different degrees -- probably all of the civs on the coast, but not the civs that have no settlements on the water.  The same goes for other races on the water or large rivers.  Dwarves and kobolds are sort of the odd ones out here.  I have trouble imagining seafaring dwarves, especially out on the open ocean, but there are large bodies of water underground and lakes up in the mountains, so it's hard to say what we'll end up with once all the mechanics are just sitting there waiting to be used.
Anxiously awaiting...

Quote from: Granite26
When you were editing the raws for all the new stuff, what did you add first, the chicken or the egg?

My recollection is that I did all of the domestic raws and then added all of the egg raws in afterward.
TOADY HATH SOLVED THE MYSTERIOUS QUESTION!

All in all: YAY!

@Last few posts: yeah I guess.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: March 14, 2011, 01:10:48 pm »

On the topic of healthcare, what's the plan for Animal Caretakers? Will they eventually Diagnose/Surgery/Set/Suture/Dress injured animals using just the Caretaker skill?
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 342