Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566651 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4740 on: April 29, 2011, 11:55:04 am »

Also, would Toady accept contributions if somebody made code that can easily be integrated into DF? Like bitmap-outputting map generators(for example a tower/village/temple generators) or conversation AI algorithms?

Quote from: readme.txt
We do not accept submissions for the official Dwarf Fortress releases.  Please do not ask for your code, art, sound or raw/objects txt files to be incorporated into the official releases.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: April 29, 2011, 12:01:01 pm »

Once caravans and such get tracked on the local map, will things be flexible enough that you can do things like... go in with a flying adventurer, wall up the entrances to a city, wait for them to starve because food caravans cant get it, then buy the food from those caravans, fly over with it, and sell it on the black market for insane amounts of money?

The last DFTalk mentions that in the release after they start moving, change in supplies and such will actually affect things after worldgen ("Changing populations, food use and other world gen stuff moved to actual play"), so yes.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: April 29, 2011, 12:53:16 pm »

Once caravans and such get tracked on the local map, will things be flexible enough that you can do things like... go in with a flying adventurer, wall up the entrances to a city, wait for them to starve because food caravans cant get it, then buy the food from those caravans, fly over with it, and sell it on the black market for insane amounts of money?

The last DFTalk mentions that in the release after they start moving, change in supplies and such will actually affect things after worldgen ("Changing populations, food use and other world gen stuff moved to actual play"), so yes.
The actual walling-up sound slike it would be difficult, I can imagine the horrible Adventure-walling problems.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: April 29, 2011, 01:19:48 pm »

And I would imagine that someone would just grab a pickaxe and knock the wall down
*Hugs*

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: April 29, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »

Do the various under-city structures sometimes meet with the highest underground layer? It sounded like the first bit was a "yes" from the devlog, but I'd like confirmation.
It's just as possible Toady was having to code defensively to stop them interacting.

This sounded like a confirmation: "04/20/2011: With the construction of sewers drawing to an end comes the beginnings of catacombs. These will twist and turn and mix with other underground structures creating fertile ground for quests and adventuring."
I read "other underground structures" as other things which were actually structures, so catacombs, sewers, and dungeons all interact with each other.

There's no indication that doing this will involve pathfinding. It's entirely possible that once you leave a site, the locals will forget that they are trapped, and just go right ahead with trading.
And I would imagine that someone would just grab a pickaxe and knock the wall down
That would require specific code allowing them to identify what the problem was and remedy it.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: April 29, 2011, 02:03:51 pm »

well yea,k you'd have to stay there the entire time to guartd the gates so that they werent demolished or path-ignored due to abstraction.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: April 29, 2011, 02:13:09 pm »

My guess is that the gates will be guarded so you won't have the chance to do so, and once you cripple it enough, there is no more reason for any caravans to visit it...
I don't need a signature.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: April 29, 2011, 02:43:32 pm »

well yea,k you'd have to stay there the entire time to guartd the gates so that they werent demolished or path-ignored due to abstraction.
You'd have to stay at all four gates simultaneously.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: April 29, 2011, 02:56:55 pm »

Well, not incineration and slab engraving.

Also, iic, all you need to properly burry dwarf is one bodypart. One bone for example. Single bone becoming undead is not all that scarry. What's it going to do?
I'm actually pretty sure that Toady mentioned that potentially even properly buried dead might rise as undead, so even incinerating and slabbing the dead might not be enough at some point. Might as well just bury them. I'm sure religion will also come into play with burial practices and the rising dead at some point later, perhaps even conflicting practices in a single religion depending on the deity - one god wants the dead being incinerated, another buried with all body parts, a third mummified, and whomever you followed most ardently is the one whose practices need to be used for proper burial.

As for a single bone is going to do - take up sorcery, and become a demilich. Find a few other likeminded bones, and form a cabal of demiliches that looks like a single skeleton. (Then throw dice at the DM for such a cheesy idea) ;)

Actually, at this point, might as well ask...

Quote from: devlog
World gen tracks crops of the dead now, numerically and by cause for each site, so if all the starved dead from the last hundred years in a city happen to be raised, it can only happen once, and the catacombs should reflect their populations correctly.

Will a city surviving a zombie apocalypse have an effect on burial practices in-game?  Do they "learn" to do something different in how they bury their dead using some sort of method to stop another mass rising?

Also, will there be a "safe" method of burial, such as incineration and slabbing, or will that just produce some other kind of undead in a zombie apocalypse?

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:03:36 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: April 29, 2011, 03:10:42 pm »

You make an excellent point, Sir.  May I suggest that is the Evil areas, and not the Neutral or Good ones?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4751 on: April 29, 2011, 03:23:27 pm »

Undead uprisings are extremely rare events. It is rational that a culture will generally take only the minimum level of burial protection.

Of course, eventually a culture in particularly haunted surroundings may simply make safe burial a part of death rituals. In that case, whatever they do to the bodies will ultimately tie lead to some new kind of undead.

Got zombies? de-brain them and mummify them. Got Mummies? Feed the dead to wolves. Got Werewolves? Burn the bodies. Got Ashwraiths? Lock the dead in catacombs for a few years. Got skeletons? Look, Dad, I know we've lived in the Forboding Plains of Nightmurder for generations, but I'm moving to the Flowery Meadows of Sunshine.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: April 29, 2011, 03:37:15 pm »

I personally am against undead being anything more than mindless bags of meat and bones. In the end they no longer have functional brains and are just - depending on the game universe - either magic-controlled servants or dead bodies with souls bound to them, and neither of these sounds like it'll be very intelligent. At least not to the point where it can get on a horse.

On the other hand, why exactly would undead attack living beings? Malice and hatred of spirits bound to bodies?

Also, what factors will influence undead activity? Will there be sudden undead outbreaks?

On another note, will we see some new AI in this release? Crowd simulation or at least caching common paths. Simply digging into caverns can sometimes result in fps-death, and with 2k+ people in a city this might be enough to bring a 666 core(or so) 10.0GHz PC to a crawl...
I don't need a signature.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #4753 on: April 29, 2011, 03:40:34 pm »

I'd like to point out how long it would take a single undead to break a wooden roof with 6 feet of dirt on top of it, then dig it's now crushed body out and then getting past the gates of the graveyard, then walking all the way to town.  Without the grave keeper noticing and beating it's head in with a shovel.  As for catacombs.  There underground in places you shouldn't be walking.  If undead are effected by daylight *like boogie men but not just disappearing* then they wouldn't be much a threat to the city on a day to day basis.  Not to mention holy relics being buried with them.

Not saying undead won't ever be a threat.  Thieves stilling relics, necromancers being necromancers, extremely long eclipses, basements being raided by ghouls.  Pizza delivery guys getting lost trying to find an obscure address.

Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: April 29, 2011, 03:46:32 pm »

On another note, will we see some new AI in this release? Crowd simulation or at least caching common paths. Simply digging into caverns can sometimes result in fps-death, and with 2k+ people in a city this might be enough to bring a 666 core(or so) 10.0GHz PC to a crawl...

As noted in the latest DF talk, the game won't have entire cities loaded in memory at once, just the immediate surrounding area (as is always the case for Adv Mode).  A major project like AI overhaul would have been listed on the dev page if there were immediate plans for it.

Quote from: DF Talk 13
I'm basically always going to be extra mindful of the speed concerns that come with having cities with large populations, and there's basically going to be a lot of people hanging out in their houses, and a lot of people walking along roads, and that's not bad, because that's what happens in cities, so I think we'll end up in good shape. The vast majority of the people aren't going to be loaded at a given time so it's pretty easy to keep it under control, I think, as long as the cities don't get larger than they are now. But even if they do ... you could have a world spanning city, it just doesn't have all the people loaded.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:48:31 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 342