Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569421 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4710 on: April 28, 2011, 05:08:51 pm »

DWARFCRAFT
Well, no I guess that not really it...

MINE FORTRESS
That's closer... but it's not likely to be a big fortress most of the time. So how about

MINE CAMP
Wait-

Fortresscraft?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: April 28, 2011, 05:48:57 pm »

Personally, I think Dwarf Fortress is as fitting of a title as any.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: April 28, 2011, 07:32:05 pm »

Dungeons. . .legions of starved dead. . .

Hmmm.

Legends mode is going to be exciting!

Also, I wonder if the dead from invading armies are also stored in catacombs. A crazed legion of undead elfs rising from the grave to fight old battles sounds like fun.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: April 28, 2011, 08:07:07 pm »

Aside from some general busy-ness, I managed to bump my head up against the wall a bit trying to get the dungeons and catacombs and sewers and underground layers and topography and rivers and buildings to all play nice together, but I think I've got it working now. I need to mess with the dungeon layout a little more and then that'll finally be done. World gen tracks crops of the dead now, numerically and by cause for each site, so if all the starved dead from the last hundred years in a city happen to be raised, it can only happen once, and the catacombs should reflect their populations correctly.
I managed to bump my head up against the wall a bit trying to get the dungeons and catacombs and sewers and underground layers and topography and rivers and buildings to all play nice together
dungeons and catacombs and sewers

:o

I am the happiest hacker in the house, right now.  Finally I'll get to go on a proper dungeon crawl.  Also, does the last part of that bring to mind "Armageddon" to anyone else?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: April 28, 2011, 09:28:56 pm »

Sir IT000,

Will you ever learn about the Suggestions forum?

It's not a suggestion, we've had aimed attacks for a few releases now. Toady has talked about ranged targeting in a past DFtalk. Asking if AI will ever prefer one attack over the other is a perfectly reasonable question.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: April 28, 2011, 10:39:19 pm »

I really find it funny that the undead can only be killed once twice. 

I mean, real-life graveyards had contraptions that were designed to make sure that any dead men that tried to rise from their graves would be beheaded, or staked the dead into their coffins, and they didn't even actually have the dead rise from their graves.

It seems unfathomable that any world with a very real threat of undead rising from the grave wouldn't go for the "incinerator and slab" option of burial, or at least crush the arms and legs of the dead to make sure they aren't going to be walking dead.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: April 28, 2011, 10:45:45 pm »

That's a good point. Who the hell inters their dead intact, in simple wooden boxes, if there's some threat of zombie uprising?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: April 28, 2011, 10:49:32 pm »

Christians, apparently.

Hindus never have a chance to turn into zombies.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: April 28, 2011, 11:02:14 pm »

Well, I sure hope that 'once' in devlog referred to not-duplicate-themself rather actually being able to rise only once. Sure, it would probably depend on the way they were killed second time, as minced or incinerated body should not rise again, indeed. At least as zombie/skeleton (hmm, but what about adventure-mode ghosts? Should not they be eliminated only by proper burial?)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: April 28, 2011, 11:26:00 pm »

That's a good point. Who the hell inters their dead intact, in simple wooden boxes, if there's some threat of zombie uprising?

Dwarf Fortress strives to be a good simulator of crappy fantasy.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: April 28, 2011, 11:35:54 pm »

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have the dead rising from graves, but it seems rather odd that people under such threat would bury their dead to begin with, unless other methods of burial/disposal carry risks of their own. It's not an unanswerable question, and I think potential answers could be interesting.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: April 28, 2011, 11:43:55 pm »

The dead must be spiked!!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: April 28, 2011, 11:55:41 pm »

I can't see anything about this on the dev page, but is it gonna be possible to eventually control the equipment of your companions in Adventure Mode?  I want to be able to assemble my own mercenary band and train them up in different formations and tactics like Mount and Blade.

Quote from: FuzzyDoom
Will there be a way to give items to our companions? And perhaps an easier way to equip weapons? (Just had to wiki it.)

We have to get to companion equipment sooner than later, since it can be very frustrating to either lose a weapon or just have lots of excess armor that shouldn't be excess.  It isn't in for 0.31.17 though.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: April 28, 2011, 11:55:51 pm »

DWARFCRAFT

MINE FORTRESS
That's closer... but it's not likely to be a big fortress most of the time. So how about

MINE CAMP
Wait-

I feel a horrible, horrible need to hail the joke that went right over everyone's head.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: April 29, 2011, 12:33:24 am »

DWARFCRAFT

MINE FORTRESS

MINE CAMP
Wait-

I feel a horrible, horrible need to hail the joke that went right over everyone's head.

I suppose it would be a struggle to build a fortress by yourself in adventure mode...
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 342