Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566615 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4800 on: May 01, 2011, 10:29:31 am »

Simple questions: are there plans for PCs be infect-able by night creatures in upcoming versions?  If so, will there be a way for PCs to cure themselves, and upon succumbing will infected PCs remain under player control, or will the transformation be considered equivalent to death, converting the PC to a (potentially brutal) NPC for a later adventurer to eliminate?
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: May 01, 2011, 10:36:12 am »

Does anybody else find the new dungeon/sewer/catacomb maps a little excessively chaotic? I just can't imagine any real person designing or building anything with that shape. They kind of remind me of those experiments where they give spiders drugs and see how messed up their webs are as a result.

I mean, I like where this is going, but it looks to me like a little more navigability and geometric regularity would be somewhat more realistic and fun here.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: May 01, 2011, 11:44:22 am »

Does anybody else find the new dungeon/sewer/catacomb maps a little excessively chaotic? I just can't imagine any real person designing or building anything with that shape. They kind of remind me of those experiments where they give spiders drugs and see how messed up their webs are as a result.

I mean, I like where this is going, but it looks to me like a little more navigability and geometric regularity would be somewhat more realistic and fun here.

Yeah, there's way too much going on.  My guess is that Toady cranked up a density parameter for development reasons (making it easier to see if the structures were intersecting badly), but hopefully they'll be toned down in the release (or controlled by world gen params).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: May 01, 2011, 12:00:27 pm »

Dang Toady, cities are REALLY starting to get epic.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: May 01, 2011, 12:09:32 pm »

Well I know atleast one city there the underground looks like this but that would be a modern example.

The thing is we cant judge relay if the thing looks right or not without knowing how the city above looks like. I would even go so far to say that many, atleast 50%, of this structures are just -1 Z cellars under the richer parts of a big trading city.

The maps btw. seem to be 2x3 embarktiles if anyone is wodering.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: May 01, 2011, 12:53:22 pm »

As far as I know there will(or might be) magic in the future, so concerning magic towers(and all other kinds of towers), will we get something more than big stone bricks? For example tower and walls being random regular polygons made of random material, with hidden artifacts, etc.?
I don't need a signature.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: May 01, 2011, 12:55:41 pm »

As far as I know there will(or might be) magic in the future, so concerning magic towers(and all other kinds of towers), will we get something more than big stone bricks? For example tower and walls being random regular polygons made of random material, with hidden artifacts, etc.?

Now I want to see a tower made entirely out of elf bones...

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: May 01, 2011, 01:02:03 pm »

Now I want to see a tower made entirely out of elf bones...
Ah, just wait for adventure mode building and larger elf populations :>

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: May 01, 2011, 01:17:11 pm »

When the hunger system revamp is planned to be worked upon, so we can finally eat all those elves and other sapients we kill in adventure, or even fortress, mode?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: May 01, 2011, 01:42:53 pm »

These underground features will have coffins, doors, statues, small bridges over the sewer channels, or they will be bare for now? And the houses in the city? There will be furniture?

I think they look great. I hope they intersect with the caverns and with house basements. And maybe the sewer water should have another color. I like how the underground interact well with the river on the second picture.

In the cities there will be haunted houses

Cool! I can't wait.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:05:27 pm by thvaz »

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: May 01, 2011, 02:09:44 pm »

I hope they intersect with the caverns and with house basements.
I hope not. Perhaps only sewers and only with certain houses.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: May 01, 2011, 02:13:52 pm »

Pretty sure that drugs+spiders making funky webs video is a comedy sketch/propaganda and not actually a real experiment..

I hope the rare catacomb will extend down to the first cavern layer, some more structured, while others more random, sort of how castles can take on several design shapes. To spice up variety between cities.

I hope they intersect with the caverns and with house basements.
I hope not. Perhaps only sewers and only with certain houses.
Looks to me like there are basements in those maps..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:28:30 pm by Ethicalfive »
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: May 01, 2011, 02:20:07 pm »

And maybe the sewer water should have another color. 
Maybe plumbing will happen.
Just a thought.
Might have a need.
Might not....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4813 on: May 01, 2011, 02:31:26 pm »

Pretty sure that drugs+spiders making funky webs video is a comedy sketch/propaganda and not actually a real experiment..

Too lazy to find the LSD one, but here is a similar one with a different toxin: http://www.springerlink.com/content/ut03846286p47737/
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: May 01, 2011, 02:34:06 pm »

Yay, with vampires we can finally have an emo fortress!

I would cut my wrist with joy, but I'm immortal and it doesn't matter either way.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 342