Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566621 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4920 on: May 04, 2011, 10:30:23 pm »

The goblins and their kidnap victims end up killing each other so often during world gen that, if the goblins produced offspring often enough, the goblins' kidnap victims could probably survive on the corpses of children, the losers of duels between young adults, and other kidnap victims who were too weak to defend themselves.

Cannibalism would also probably deaden the victims emotionally and prepare them for suicidal sieges of dwarven fortresses.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: May 04, 2011, 11:26:46 pm »

Of course, if goblins don't need to eat, and therefore don't spend their time farming or hunting or herding or fishing or what-have-you, what DO they spend their time doing?

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: May 04, 2011, 11:29:48 pm »

Can someone point me to where Hill Dwarves were first mentioned? I searched for it on the forum and didn't find an explanation, so I assume it must be on DF Talk?

Player-run fortresses can potentially have a powerful impact on geography, e.g. by damming rivers and such. Will players be able to influence wider geography over time through such actions in future releases? Will damming a river starve human settlements downriver, contribute to desertification, or have similar effects? Will a civ AI be able to deal with player geo-engineering, i.e. by deconstructing a dam, or will these things be a permanent blind spot for the AI?

I am imagining damming every river in the world so that only dwarves have water and live. There can be only dwarves!
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: May 05, 2011, 12:10:31 am »

The last time I looked in legends mode, I did notice a bunch of the shorter lived humans I looked at dying of starvation shortly after being kidnapped.  One baby died at about a year old, after being kidnapped twice.  I can't say they all died though, since I was only looking at units that died within a couple years, so of course all the ones I saw who were kidnapped died shortly after.  It seems possible though, that if enough humans survived in a goblin fortress, that they would at least farm for themselves rather then allow themselves to starve to death from goblin carelessness.  Or maybe they just steal food.

One of the things I'm sort of interested in is how long curses last and if they can be ended by other things using the curse code or other triggers.  Like, if there's a holy power "curse" that empowers a character, and if it affects something with a zombie curse, then both curses simply stop affecting the creature.  Or if a necromancer has to be within a certain range of his zombies or they stop being cursed. 

Also, I hope that people can come up with more interesting ideas than zombies, vampires, and werewolves if given enough time, and just looking at this thread makes me sure that's possible.  At least, if the necessary framework is in place. 

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: May 05, 2011, 12:17:30 am »

Can someone point me to where Hill Dwarves were first mentioned? I searched for it on the forum and didn't find an explanation, so I assume it must be on DF Talk?

I just checked; Talk 12 seems to be the first to actually use the phrase "hill dwarves," but 11 mentioned "dwarves living in the hills" at some point. The actual concept has probably been around longer than that.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #4925 on: May 05, 2011, 12:27:27 am »

But not the dead turning into unicorns.
In my mind, there is a whole field of corpses after a siege, and as Ursit McGreedy runs out to claim some really nice socks he suddenly finds himself in the middle of a field of unicorns, clawing their way out of the husks of the fallen like butterflies from a cocoon.

They are very angry unicorns.

Going back over previous posts.  I find this hilarious.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: May 05, 2011, 02:04:12 am »

Regarding the future bloat implementation below, and seeings that ghosts are now getting attention from you, can we expect to see some ghost based lever pulling soon?

Also are there any plans to have ghosts be active AND invisable some of the time, so then when poltergeist type activities occur, it would add some mystery to how those events actually happened? Adventure mode with ghosts could be quite creepy and cool if instead of seeing the ghost every time, you instead see a chair slide accross the floor, or get a message saying you felt a cold shiver(ghost passing through you/trying to interact with you)

# Bloat21, VARIOUS GHOST IDEAS, (Future): Blame the lever puller for flooded dungeon, make a ghost constantly pull the lever. Save relationships with various entities and have ghosts react to entity members as they would in life possibly. Ghosts can show you their bodies. Ghosts can pretend to do their old jobs. Ghost appearance can depend on how they died. Could force the adventurer to interact with ghosts to access now-secret parts of the fortress (could also use writings and legends for this). It can keep outposts that it normally throws away for fun little ghost stories. If the dwarves hate the elves, the ghosts could guide the adventurer to a poisoned goblet or insultingly engraved object to bring back to the elves, and they could lie to the player about it.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: May 05, 2011, 02:30:52 am »

Could there be new ways to prevent tantrum spirals? For example social skills of dwarfs to cool down unhappy dwarfs, or dwarfs visiting the grave of a recently deceased friend to prevent tantrum, or if a friend dies through the justice system, could they see it as somewhat justified? Oh and I think, if a friend gets killed by a dwarf, he shouldn't go berserk, he should only hate the killer. Same goes for dying in battle with goblins. Plus dying in battle could count as honorable death. :O
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: May 05, 2011, 03:00:22 am »

Of course, if goblins don't need to eat, and therefore don't spend their time farming or hunting or herding or fishing or what-have-you, what DO they spend their time doing?
The first thought that came into my head was "masturbating", and I imagined towers full of goblins just whacking it 24/7.

But in practice, probably sex, fights, sleeping, and a little bit of building and doing other sorts of gainful work.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: May 05, 2011, 03:05:34 am »

Simple, looting and pillaging.
That's why they attack, it's a simple case of nothing better to do
*Hugs*

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: May 05, 2011, 03:05:45 am »

Will brewing require water anytime soon?

This has always puzzled me, and I up till now thought Plump Helmets were just extremely absorbent and spongy...
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: May 05, 2011, 03:18:27 am »

As it is, all they would have to do to take over the world is just hide in one place until their population grows to insane numbers.  I feel like goblins would be more believable if it were somehow in their best interests to constantly pick fights.

Imagine living in a tower where no one aged, where no one ever died. Babies are born, the population rises. Centuries pass. The population continues to rise. And rise. And rise. And rise. Living room becomes scarce. Privacy is a concept lost ages ago. Soon you're running out of room to put all the new goblins. Soon after that, you're running out of standing room. And the population keeps rising...

(Before you object to this scenario, one word: Spores.)

Yeah, I think there's some pretty strong incentives to pick fights.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: May 05, 2011, 04:15:52 am »

I am imagining damming every river in the world so that only dwarves have water and live. There can be only dwarves!

If you dam a river, where does all the water go?
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: May 05, 2011, 05:13:37 am »

I asume actual river/water pathfinding on the worldmap only happens during the worldgen step where they are formed.
Adding to your question:
Interactivity of live forts: will there be additional pathfinding checks for (un)blocked roads/rivers/travelaccess/etc?

more a suggestion, but: instead of just sitting there and starving, unemployed or otherwise hungry people should leave/steal/riot/pillage/rebel/etc. but this is a dev goal, so...meh. ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:16:36 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: May 05, 2011, 06:18:00 am »

Will their be an ability to replace stone and soil in future? ie: fill square with stone to form a rought stone wall, or fill a square with gatherd soil - or night soil -farmers workshop- to make arable land? or fill with sand for the same effect?

Just because with this ability ripping down buildings for arable land becomes an option. it also helps players in dwarf mode to get their farms going in a realistic way.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 342