Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678096 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2370 on: May 19, 2016, 04:12:32 am »

It seems new patch made AI more agressive. Got myself 2 wars in short succession, lost the second.

Warscore needs tweaking. Just because I lost a spaceport on day one doesn't mean I must be forced into white peace as I blockaded enemy's only planet.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: May 19, 2016, 04:20:58 am »

AI aggressiviness depends much on their personality. For example, the ruthless capitalists enjoy bullying weaker factions, so if they perceive you to be weak they will attack. If you are strong, they'll steel clear. Democratic crusaders attack autocrats, warriors bully pacifists, purifiers want to kill everyone etc.

Patches haven't touched the aggro level yet, future patches will have aggro setting when starting a game. The chances are you just encountered people with different personalities than before.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: May 19, 2016, 04:26:34 am »

I always seem to be spawning in the middle of a cluster of warmongers while playing as a Pacifist species.
(Or playing as one not specifically miliaristic.)
I am convinced RNG is working against me in this game.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: May 19, 2016, 05:24:05 am »

Cluster spawning is very annoying. I hope we get option to choose spawning options in the future patches.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: May 19, 2016, 05:28:01 am »

yeah it seems they made it intentional

http://imgur.com/QRKt1sK

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: May 19, 2016, 06:08:09 am »

Yeah, that's cluster spawning. There options hidden in the game to turn spawning random, cluster or focused on the player. You just need to edit stuff to change it. Cluster is default, meaning a few species spawn always next to each other, but the distance between these clusters can be great.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: May 19, 2016, 06:51:02 am »

Don't forget the option to simply annihilate the whole thing
How much different is that from just glassing the entire planet? It is cooler though. So even  if it doesnt have much mechanical difference, it is cooler.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: May 19, 2016, 06:55:05 am »

Killing population leaves the option for others to colonize. There should certainly be the option to turn a planet into a tomb world; all you need is to drop some rocks there. Even unopposed science ship could do that.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: May 19, 2016, 07:13:12 am »

Yeah, that's cluster spawning. There options hidden in the game to turn spawning random, cluster or focused on the player. You just need to edit stuff to change it. Cluster is default, meaning a few species spawn always next to each other, but the distance between these clusters can be great.

Where? I have only found you can mess with distance values (min and optimal). There is also a mod with maps with custom spawn points giving everyone same space.
On the part of AI personalities, I have started a few single player games just after release to notice that it tends to random AIs with complete opposite ethos to player ones, giving a lot of empires same ethos.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: May 19, 2016, 07:59:13 am »

I have no idea where to change it, but since multiplayer has those options, I figure they can be changed for single player as well.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: May 19, 2016, 08:36:55 am »

Stations are really generally useless at the moment yea, but the game's combat seems to be heavily biased towards numbers rather then quality. You can easily take down a single ship/station using a fleet of corvettes of the same or ever lower firepower.

Also, you should be able to set priority targets during combat or something. At the moment, the AI will often focus fire single ships in your fleet, while your own fleet likes to spread he damage across several targets, meaning you'll likely never win engagements against a fleet of similar numbers/firepower.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: May 19, 2016, 10:02:04 am »

Can wormhole species have stations/fortresses that act as a wormhole station? I could see that being useful for defensive purposes.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: May 19, 2016, 10:09:45 am »

Ignoring that Corvettes are broken (well if you break them)... They are sort of meant to be effective chaff and I'd even go as far as to say the more "armored" version of what is available.

Battleships as silly as this sounds are meant to have support to be really effective. Being, in essence, more fragile then Corvettes.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: May 19, 2016, 10:59:59 am »

You mostly restated what I said.  If you run out of space, upgrade labs.  Otherwise they suck.  Its the worst way to improve research.

But my point is that you will always be out of space. Colonists just don't grow that fast. You will inevitably be upgrading labs. If you don't have better lab techs, you're losing research because you can't upgrade. If you're waiting for pops to grow, or clearing blockers, you're spending inefficiently.

As for local tech bonuses, aside from IIRC a certain unique building, there's 3: research assist, orbital bonus, and governor.  However, two of those bonuses use the same resource (leader slots), and two of them can made not local easily enough.  Yes, there are planet based bonuses but honestly they're only going to account for a drop in the bucket even if you focus on them.  This is coming from someone who filled a max sized world with the best physics labs available, and the unique lab, and then stacked every possible research bonus on that one planet (including the space mall for happiness).  I wasted so many minerals doing that and the gains felt very minor compared to what my generalized worlds were yielding for much less cost.

AFAIK there's no unique lab building for a planet alone. You're maybe thinking of the Research Institute which gives 5/5/5 tech, and +10% to your empire. There's a spaceport upgrade that gives +10% research, but of course you can and should build that everywhere you have any significant number of labs.

But anyway, calling localized bonuses a "drop in the buckets" is absurd. Assist Research is by far the largest bonus available in the game. A 5-star scientist gives +25% or +50% output (more if you have racial traits/policies for higher levels). Sure, it uses a leader slot. But there isn't a better use of a leader slot than a scientist running assist research. No other leader bonus comes close that much research output - or anything output, really. There's a Food leader, and a Slave leader for minerals+food from slaves. Not a lot of options.

Was it useful for you to stack that much research on one planet? We don't know, because you didn't say anything besides, "idk, feelsbadman." Do the numbers. What did the planet produce before you upgraded it, how long did you spend upgrading it, what did it cost, and what did it produce afterwards? What techs did you research with it and how much sooner did they become available? What would you have spent the minerals on if you hadn't done that? If the answer is "maxing out my fleet capacity" then you should have already done that anyway.

As for your point about the research bonus of tech, you're missing the point.  The game is designed so that you quickly fill out "core" techs like your main weapons path and basic utility upgrades and then past that you have to go after sidegrades and diminishing gains.  The fleet size modifiers are great, yeah, except that expanding empires tend to run way below their fleet limit and all those minerals and energy you've been dumping into upgraded labs a smart player would be buying corvettes and spaceports.

Nah, you're assuming the opposite of what I'm doing. The player should always fill out their fleet capacity first. You don't invest in research at all if you don't have a full fleet. The cost of maxing your fleet capacity is generally insignificant compared to investing in infrastructure. The cost of a corvette is insignificant compared to building/upgrading.

Sure, you can use your research to rush down a weapons path, but most smart players will quickly get decently far down 1 weapon, 1 defense and reactors.  On top of that improved weapons increase BOTH the cost and maintenance of a ship, which means that until you hit your fleet limit higher tech weapons = smaller fleet.

Nobody is talking about "rushing" down a weapons path. The point is that tech matters. It's not just sidegrades. Sure, higher tech weapons cost more. Who cares? Higher tech also produces more money. The point is that being 10 techs behind is a real disadvantage, not an imaginary one.

All of this means that, sure, a high tech empire has an advantage over a low tech empire.  But between the smaller fleet and the fact that many advantages that improve tech are trade offs with things that produce minerals and fleet limit (see: having a small empire, upgrading your labs instead of your starports), it all evens out close enough that it is a secondary deciding factor to fleet size, alliances, and rock paper scissors.  Sure, all things being even research will make the difference.  But honestly I would say the bigger advantage of research is the ability to shift your position on the rock paper scissors.

Again, what is with this "smaller fleet" idea? You always keep your fleet size at max. Anything else is goofy.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: May 19, 2016, 11:06:26 am »

What an...interesting start I just had.

I made a species of space birbs that was supposed to be all about research and building a multi-species empire by absorbing the lesser species, either via infiltration or uplifting. To this end I gave them the Charismatic trait, and made them Fanatic Materialist Individualists. Just for funsies, I gave them hyperdrive.

So the game started, and I can see that there are 4 star systems in range of my borders. One of them is a black hole! Neat! But I go ahead and survey my home system first.
My home system contains 2 EC. That's it.

Not good. Well, let's check some of these non-black-hole systems...why does this one have NO resources?! Ugh, let's check the black hole.

Black hole system contains an amoeba (thankfully hanging out near the edge of the system) and gives 5 whole physics research! Great, but I really need EC and minerals. I jump to my home system...and immediately am confronted with an enemy alert.
Remember that amoeba? It had apparently decided to jump to my home system at about the same time I did, and appeared right on top of my science vessel. Battle was engaged before I could get the vessel away and I was forced to make an emergency jump, leaving the poor science ship with just 5% HP. The amoeba then began swimming towards my pitiful starting fleet, and only the fact that the engagement happened near my home world's space port allowed me to keep any of my ships alive. As it was, I lost 1 of them.

So I get all my ships repaired and back to work while the income ever-so-slowly trickles in. This takes long enough that eventually it is election time! And I come to realize that my Ruler is running on a Slavery mandate.
Remember, my people are Individualists. They dislike slavery. So obviously my guy gets the boot. He vanishes, never to be seen again and taking all his skill stars with him. His replacement is, of course, the scientist in the science vessel who has hardly done any science at all. She's running on a space mining mandate, which is impossible to meet without serious expansion that I cannot even afford at the moment because I have access to so few resources.

Ugh.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 632