Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677310 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2775 on: June 01, 2016, 12:38:57 am »

Administrative/Sentient AI research, Materialist unique building and ensuring you have good scientists directing research.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Liction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: June 01, 2016, 01:17:16 am »

edicts also help as you get a net gain and can focus on a field.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: June 01, 2016, 02:18:44 am »

Historically speaking, in real world population numbers didn't convert into research speed this well.

Some kind of measure to counter early landgrab snowballing into complete technological dominance is needed.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: June 01, 2016, 03:19:14 am »

Historically speaking, in real world population numbers didn't convert into research speed this well.

Some kind of measure to counter early landgrab snowballing into complete technological dominance is needed.

> Historically speaking
wat

do we even live on the same world?

tru there needs to be a door open to let empires falling back a comeback, but the rubber banding as it stands now it's just ridiculous.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: June 01, 2016, 05:00:56 am »

Yes, at large population sizes, you start having diminished returns. The key thing here is that they'll still be positive, i.e. adding more people would not decrease your actual research speed. It may decrease the implementation speed, but that's much better simulated by requiring you to construct special buildings to be able to gain actual advantages from technologies (as it's usually done in Civilization series).

A square root function would work out quite nicely here, I think.
._.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: June 01, 2016, 05:14:44 am »

Am I the only one who also wants a way for empires to LOSE technology? I'm not sure what the best way to implement it would be, possibly through events but that leaves things stupidly random. Though a Y2K style Crisis event would be kinda interesting, where all the tech storage databases in the galaxy basically fuck up all at once, leaving everyone with shitty tech again in the mid/late game.
Still, that could also be very shitty and unfun.

Mostly I want to see things where Fallen Empires actually y'know...FALL. Like just collapse on their own instead of being super leet megaempires the whole game.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: June 01, 2016, 05:34:02 am »

Am I the only one who also wants a way for empires to LOSE technology?

probably not, but most players would hate the feeling of technology being subtracted.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: June 01, 2016, 05:35:10 am »

Am I the only one who also wants a way for empires to LOSE technology? I'm not sure what the best way to implement it would be, possibly through events but that leaves things stupidly random. Though a Y2K style Crisis event would be kinda interesting, where all the tech storage databases in the galaxy basically fuck up all at once, leaving everyone with shitty tech again in the mid/late game.
Still, that could also be very shitty and unfun.

Mostly I want to see things where Fallen Empires actually y'know...FALL. Like just collapse on their own instead of being super leet megaempires the whole game.

it'd be interesting, you bomb enough of a planet and if a science building gets busted you have a % chance of losing a level in a random field, based on the total number of research centers in the bombed empire, so you could literally bomb people into stone age

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: June 01, 2016, 07:42:30 am »

It does however, allow you to have some scientists working on propulsion, and some on guns, and so forth. There would be problems in logistics, but you're balancing that by being able to tackle more areas/avenues of research simultaneously. Yes, Stellaris groups it all into three parts, but the whole thing was about it being somehow faster to research with less resources. I agree that there are diminishing returns, and that distribution and standardization would be resource consuming, but if you've got a two world empire it's not going to be faster in the long term than a 20 world empire full of thriving metropolises all putting out different ideas and avenues of research.
Yes, at large population sizes, you start having diminished returns. The key thing here is that they'll still be positive, i.e. adding more people would not decrease your actual research speed. It may decrease the implementation speed, but that's much better simulated by requiring you to construct special buildings to be able to gain actual advantages from technologies (as it's usually done in Civilization series).

A square root function would work out quite nicely here, I think.
It might. Modern pharmaceutical research, for instance, is heavily, heavily gated by a number of agencies, policies, agendas, and so on. The idea that colonizing Mars would actually slow us down on that front really isn't hard to believe.

Am I the only one who also wants a way for empires to LOSE technology?

probably not, but most players would hate the feeling of technology being subtracted.
I'd like a more fluid game on paper, but even I have to admit a 4X where you're constantly losing half your empire would be hard to make satisfying. And let's face it, Stellaris is having enough trouble being itself without trying to do a ballerina dance on top of that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: June 01, 2016, 07:48:13 am »

It might. Modern pharmaceutical research, for instance, is heavily, heavily gated by a number of agencies, policies, agendas, and so on. The idea that colonizing Mars would actually slow us down on that front really isn't hard to believe.

but that doesn't mean smaller countries with less string attached to research advance any faster

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: June 01, 2016, 07:54:30 am »

What if you had to 'research' tech twice, oncee to discover them, and once on each planet (at a tiny fraction of the cost) to implement them there? Basically, like building buildings, but with a cost in research point?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: June 01, 2016, 07:59:10 am »

What if you had to 'research' tech twice, oncee to discover them, and once on each planet (at a tiny fraction of the cost) to implement them there? Basically, like building buildings, but with a cost in research point?

A lot of techs lack a social cost anyway.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: June 01, 2016, 10:10:41 am »

This could make sense if it applied to types of worlds and world modifiers instead. Running a power planet on an arid world probably presents different challenges than running a power plant on an ocean world. Similarly a planet with heavy gravity or unstable tectonics presents different mining challenges than a "normal" planet.

Then again most of our planets for most of the game will be exactly the same types, so maybe it mostly wouldn't matter.

When it comes to ships, I think implementing a Hearts of Iron-type system of production runs would have been better. Especially if repeated builds unlocked MoO2-style weapon variants, like PD/heavy/etc variants of weapons techs.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: June 01, 2016, 10:38:38 am »

Well, it would represent the cost of training the planet in the use of the new tech.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: June 01, 2016, 11:28:44 am »

Well, it would represent the cost of training the planet in the use of the new tech.

Maybe that's money or influence... more research points is thematically the wrong cost.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 632