Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678156 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2850 on: June 18, 2016, 12:26:42 am »

Meh, it's still fun and I got a lot of hours on it, and they are releasing a lot of free content.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: June 18, 2016, 01:23:39 am »

Meh, it's still fun and I got a lot of hours on it, and they are releasing a lot of free content.

I feel like whenever someone says free content announced quickly after release they should be required by LAW to put it in quotations: "Free Content"

Just like how... Warhammer Total War had "Free Content"
Or how The Sims 4 had "Free Content"

Yeah totally free content... not unfinished content being released late in order to give the game a quicker release date and often fix the game up.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: June 18, 2016, 01:53:31 am »

Terraria has free content. Stellaris has obvious and admitted deficiencies being addressed after launch.

Or... I guess they're adding new portraits? That'd count as free content, because it's not like the existing portraits were insufficient.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: June 18, 2016, 01:58:22 am »

Assuming of course that these new portraits aren't "Unfinished content" that didn't quite make it out the pipeline in time.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: June 18, 2016, 05:55:24 am »

Well it's free, it's new, and it's content.
So "free content" seems like a pretty logical name for it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: June 18, 2016, 06:20:27 am »

The amount of negativity from you guys is quite amazing. Did you wade in expecting a pure 4X or a pure Paradox grand strategy and were disappointed because it is neither? Not baiting, I'm genuinely curious.

Reviews for the game are still universally positive and many players enjoy the game even now, while looking forward to new things instead of feeling the game is currently utterly crippled. Yet there is a small and vocal portion who seem to think Stellaris raped their mom and I'm curious to know why is that? I see many deficiencies in the game, but I still got a lot of fun game time out of it. Now I'm just looking forward to major patches, new content and mods.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2856 on: June 18, 2016, 06:23:02 am »

I'm 81 hours in and had a blast, now waiting for the 1.2 major patch before I start a new game. Been playing HOI4 in the interim

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: June 18, 2016, 06:48:59 am »

The amount of negativity from you guys is quite amazing. Did you wade in expecting a pure 4X or a pure Paradox grand strategy and were disappointed because it is neither? Not baiting, I'm genuinely curious.

I was expecting more stories emerging in game and from game-play, not just fluff. that's what burned me, the aar narrating all the science events as if those were in game.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: June 18, 2016, 06:52:24 am »

Reviews for the game are still universally positive and many players enjoy the game even now, while looking forward to new things instead of feeling the game is currently utterly crippled. Yet there is a small and vocal portion who seem to think Stellaris raped their mom and I'm curious to know why is that? I see many deficiencies in the game, but I still got a lot of fun game time out of it. Now I'm just looking forward to major patches, new content and mods.

I expected a 4X in the vein of Paradox grand strategy. What I got was a shitty 4X and a shitty Paradox game with obvious gaps in systems and content.

Granted, at this point we should all expect Paradox games to be incomplete buggy shit on release, but Stellaris went above and beyond with some really terrible high-level design decisions and a plentiful helping of bugs that were solely due to sheer laziness and a lack of playtesting. It's fun for the first ten hours or so, when you're still in early-game content and haven't already seen everything that's there. Everything past that point is dull and repetitive. And that's after I modded the hell out of it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: June 18, 2016, 07:23:14 am »

Well it's free, it's new, and it's content.
So "free content" seems like a pretty logical name for it.
Technically the game itself is "free content" once you've paid for it. Most people use the term to describe "above and beyond" additions, which generally require satisfaction with wherever they're adding onto.

Well, yeah. There's not enough there for it to be mechanically good or thematically good, so we're left with a bland game that really seems to have intended to be amazing, but was left half finished.

Wasn't there a bunch of hubbub about a major review being negative, which their post-release dev diary acknowledged while explaining all the things that went wrong?

I've seen people say they are/have enjoyed the game as is, especially before they've played a ton. I don't think I've seen many people talk about how fun the game is without acknowledging problems elsewhere or mentioning something about future content. The idea that the game isn't done yet is pretty much unanimous, which some people seem to be interpreting as "early access woo" and others seem to be interpreting as "we'll sell you the rest in six months."

But I mean, it's not like people haven't been explaining all this. If anything, I don't think people have been very forthcoming as to why they like the game.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: June 18, 2016, 12:24:46 pm »

I've seen people say they are/have enjoyed the game as is, especially before they've played a ton. I don't think I've seen many people talk about how fun the game is without acknowledging problems elsewhere or mentioning something about future content. The idea that the game isn't done yet is pretty much unanimous, which some people seem to be interpreting as "early access woo" and others seem to be interpreting as "we'll sell you the rest in six months."

This is exactly the reason why I went from an ardent fan (after about 10 hours) to being really, really annoyed/disappointed/angry at it after playing it further. It starts to show it's shallowness really quickly, and whilst if it was just a shallow sort of game I'd be alright with it, but the shallowness has been purposefully put there with gaping holes left for DLC to slot in. That's what pisses me off - it's the fact that they've designed the entire game around DLC.

There has been a wave of negativity about it, and I believe that's why they've had to start putting out the major free patches and so on. I don't doubt it'll eventually become great, but they'll have to make huge changes to get there. Other Paradox games have been slightly guilty of the same thing, but this is the one where it feels like they've just rushed something to release and decided that they'd make it actually good with DLC.

On top of that, there are a lot of weird design decisions and just plainly broken bits (which I imagine will get fixed with free patches) but all those things do not make for a great gaming experience. I guess I just expected a lot more, and that's why I was pissed off.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: June 18, 2016, 12:36:41 pm »

Yeah, that's the thing, I don't mind shallow games, as long as they're intended to be shallow, are engaging in what they do offer, and are priced appropriately. Take Neptune's Pride, that's an extremely abstracted, simple 4X, but it's free to play (with a few premium benefits for a cheap fee), doesn't pretend to be anything more, and has a lot of potential for fun mindgames with other players.

The problem with Stellaris is that it was clearly supposed to be a complex, relatively deep game, but Paradox launched it something like six months or a year too early, and given their track record it's basically guaranteed that they're going to finish it with a series of $20 DLCs that add basic systems and mechanics that were clearly intended to be included from the start.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: June 18, 2016, 12:50:04 pm »

Yeah, that's the thing, I don't mind shallow games, as long as they're intended to be shallow, are engaging in what they do offer, and are priced appropriately. Take Neptune's Pride, that's an extremely abstracted, simple 4X, but it's free to play (with a few premium benefits for a cheap fee), doesn't pretend to be anything more, and has a lot of potential for fun mindgames with other players.

The problem with Stellaris is that it was clearly supposed to be a complex, relatively deep game, but Paradox launched it something like six months or a year too early, and given their track record it's basically guaranteed that they're going to finish it with a series of $20 DLCs that add basic systems and mechanics that were clearly intended to be included from the start.

Couldn't have said it better. It's the fact that the game was designed around having more systems/things to do, but all of those things have been held back into DLC. It's like the mid-game lull (which is almost universally recognised) that wouldn't be a thing if they had a few more gameplay mechanics like espionage and character based mechanics.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2863 on: June 18, 2016, 01:36:23 pm »

I'm looking forward to something to let me play as a sector commander with my friends.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: June 18, 2016, 09:28:11 pm »

I'm actually wondering about the depth of Stellaris, and the reason is this:

Is it more finely tuned to multiplayer (with AI elements) than it is to a single player experience?

Are the things you think of as thin simply kept that way so it doesn't entirely become an RNG clusterfuck when playing it against a few friends?

It's certainly a 4X at the start, and decent 4X's always have elements of grand strategy.

Is it because it's boring to play against the AI (ie: every 4X game ever, mostly) that you're not getting the subtlety? Because roflstomp is the expected outcome against an AI?

Compare Stars! single player. Then play it multiplayer. It's a totally different game. Especially when coalition wins aren't possible, so your favourite ally is still about to become an enemy if the opportunity presents itself. Friends until your death.

Paradox did so much EUIV MP stuff, and Stellaris would be so good as a small MP non-co-op game, that I'm almost sure the winning strats haven't been worked out yet. And it's a bit more nuanced than people realize.

(yep. broken late-game events are stupid though. And coalition wins in MP as a "standard game" that people play)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:33:23 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 632