Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677302 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4395 on: March 31, 2017, 01:22:14 pm »

Yeah. Anything that's a 'must-research' as opposed to something you weigh the pros and cons of is a badly balanced tech. And I'm worried that core sector techs are going to fall into that category.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: March 31, 2017, 02:01:34 pm »

I'd much prefer if there were some sort of centralization/corruption/bureaucracy modifier in your empire that was modified by government type, "tech era," number of times your ruler was re-elected, etc, etc, that among other things would increase or decrease your sector limit.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: March 31, 2017, 03:36:43 pm »

Yeah. Anything that's a 'must-research' as opposed to something you weigh the pros and cons of is a badly balanced tech. And I'm worried that core sector techs are going to fall into that category.

It REALLY depends on what it is.

Colony Management = Good
Psionic drive = Bad

Must-Haves work as sort of milestones... But when there are too many and it feels like the game is essentially choosing for you and it makes everything else feel less special as a result.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:42:47 pm by Neonivek »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: March 31, 2017, 05:49:32 pm »

In my games I take forever to get to 5 sectors. I'd imagine capacity upgrade techs would be low priority for me.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: March 31, 2017, 07:16:59 pm »

Not sectors, Core Systems. I.e., how many planets you can have under your direct control before needing to make sectors.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: March 31, 2017, 07:18:10 pm »

Oh.
I'm dumb.
Disregard my prior post.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: March 31, 2017, 09:54:49 pm »

"Never research" would fall into the same category as "must research in terms of being badly balanced. That said, something can be never (or always) a goal for one playstyle but still be well balanced in general, so it's not an easy thing to balance overall.

Not that Stellaris is really complicated enough for this to be a major concern.

Here's hoping to sectors finally being decent enough that a 9999 core system mod isn't required.
I already pretty much just treat it as a soft cap. With upcoming changes, this should become even more viable.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: March 31, 2017, 11:18:43 pm »

The influence loss from going over your core limit isn't too bad (yet; the update might rejigger things), but the energy penalty is obnoxious because it throws off all my calculations. Solvent at one point is vastly excessive a step lower, which makes it hard to shift gracefully.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: April 01, 2017, 01:58:52 pm »

Ah, to clarify, I meant a soft cap on your systems, not core systems. Having lots of worlds decreases tech gain, so growing too fast isn't really a good thing anyway, you want to be able to build up the worlds you've got. So just figure you're not likely to go over the limit, and use sectors only as a holding zone for worlds you've got but aren't using yet, don't expand too much. This strategy had drawbacks before, since there was only one repeating tech to increase the number of core systems (which you would want to do eventually) but it seems like it should work better with the new continuously increasing number in the next patch.

With sectors becoming more viable on top of that, hopefully going huge will be less hamstrung despite the focus on "build tall" options.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: April 06, 2017, 07:17:14 am »

WE HAVE LIFTOFF

edit: Nevermind, the devs were a bit fast on the trigger (Or maybe I was?). Give it an hour or so.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:29:18 am by Ultimuh »

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: April 06, 2017, 07:31:58 am »

Just got an update on Steam, 700MB. Might be Banks, though Utopia isn't quite out.

Edit: Yep, Banks is out!
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: April 06, 2017, 07:35:38 am »

I've never been much of a Space Hitler, but the new purge politics are intriguing. I wonder if you can take over a primitive planet, then send them all away as refugees? I wonder if the refugees will keep the stellar culture shock modifier? Using stone age primitives to trouble your neighbor, beautiful and a SciFi trope about the Lost Homeworld.

I think I'll try playing a Hive Mind first.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: April 06, 2017, 07:59:20 am »

I've never been much of a Space Hitler, but the new purge politics are intriguing. I wonder if you can take over a primitive planet, then send them all away as refugees? I wonder if the refugees will keep the stellar culture shock modifier? Using stone age primitives to trouble your neighbor, beautiful and a SciFi trope about the Lost Homeworld.

I think I'll try playing a Hive Mind first.
Or you could indocrinate and uplift a species. Be a really nice, awesome guy to them.

Then nerve staple them, make them tasty, and use them as livestock.

They basically upped the bastardy game.

Or you can do that...to your own species! Har har, Soylent Green, anybody? Fresh from the reclamation vats!
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: April 06, 2017, 08:20:37 am »

New music is really nice too, by the way.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: April 06, 2017, 08:54:42 am »

AUGH

I want to eat the aliens but it'll take a few days.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 632