Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677284 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4980 on: July 02, 2017, 12:48:18 pm »

So uh, picked this up recently, and I need to ask...  Is there any way to see preview the range a new frontier outpost will grant?  Or, more complexly, the state of my borders once one is removed?  (I get that border ranges are more complex than overlapping circles, even apart from empires, but that almost makes it more important to see ahead of time)
Whenever I search, I just get demands for it from last year.

Also, this game is pretty fun.  Still on my first game, Blorg, 2242 and I'm trying to get a federation rolling.  Was going to be "Hugs for all!" but "Bright Compact" is good too.

I was influence-locked for a while due to overusing frontier outposts...  I somehow got the impression I could only form colonies within my borders, like outposts  :'(  That and it's my first game, heh, I'm sure my giant sector is bad too.  I can see why people worry about having too many colonies, it's really starting to hold back my research and unity gain.

I'm probably playing "militarist" wrong.  My militarist faction sure thinks so.  I'm strongly tempted to switch to pacifism, since it matches what I'm doing and might make my second biggest faction happy enough to start contributing influence.  LOVE!  AND!  PEAAAAACE!
I really just wanted to expand fast enough to survive and be relevant, but the galaxy turned out pretty nice.  That one race I did start near even volunteered a non-aggression pact...  As I surrounded their borders, and also was repugnant.  Didn't feel right to attack them after that, now we're federation buddies.  (Besides...  I needed to expand outward, not get bogged down in a pointless local war)

Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

I don't mind some of the mechanics requiring some... learning, when the game somehow reminds me of Star Control 2, SM's Alpha Centauri, and even The Last Federation.  Oh and as a friend pointed out, Spore.
WAY easier to learn than EUIV that's for sure
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:50:24 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: July 02, 2017, 01:59:48 pm »

I somehow got the impression I could only form colonies within my borders, like outposts  :'(
You can build frontier outposts outside your borders. It is indeed the main way to claim planets and resources for yourself until you can get a colony there. It's only mining stations that you can't build outside your borders.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: July 02, 2017, 02:34:54 pm »

For a long time, I had a similar misconception regarding wormhole stations, which really slowed down my expansion.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: July 02, 2017, 02:42:53 pm »

For a long time, I had a similar misconception regarding wormhole stations, which really slowed down my expansion.
fuck the what
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: July 02, 2017, 02:48:00 pm »

fuck the what

Somehow I had gotten the impression that wormhole stations could only be built within your borders or those of empires with whom you have the appropriate agreement. Then I found out that you can build wormhole stations in unclaimed space, too, as well as the space of empires on which you've declared war.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: July 02, 2017, 03:01:32 pm »

fuck the what

Somehow I had gotten the impression that wormhole stations could only be built within your borders or those of empires with whom you have the appropriate agreement. Then I found out that you can build wormhole stations in unclaimed space, too, as well as the space of empires on which you've declared war.
Yes, I get that now. I hadn't known it earlier. Hence my somewhat-profane statement of shock.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4986 on: July 02, 2017, 03:11:28 pm »

Ok, here's an idea to fix combat:

Fleets now have morale. They can emergency jump after only a day of charging -- that's the whole point of an emergency jump! -- but generally they won't flee unless they think they're going to lose. Admiral AI now plays a big role, and psionic enemies can attack morale directly instead of by blowing up ships. As crews get more experience, they have more useful morale (they flee winable battles less, and get smarter at fleeing unwinnable battles).

Very large ships can suppress swarms of small ships by popping a few of them, deciding the battle is going poorly, then retreating to recharge shields and repair. Small ships tend to get destroyed too fast to get good experience, while large ships get tougher over time. OOO! Admirals could have faction loyalties, and if unhappy could surrender or even mutiny!

Ok actually let's go back one more step and just tell the developers to talk to the guys in the CKII department already.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: July 02, 2017, 03:17:47 pm »

Has anyone tried multiplayer in the current beta build? My friends and I tried it last night and it was generally fine, except that we couldn't get ascension perks for some reason. The traditions all worked fine, but no perks for finishing them.

Anyone know what's up with that?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: July 02, 2017, 03:21:23 pm »

I somehow got the impression I could only form colonies within my borders, like outposts  :'(
You can build frontier outposts outside your borders. It is indeed the main way to claim planets and resources for yourself until you can get a colony there. It's only mining stations that you can't build outside your borders.
My bad, I meant to say "like stations".  Mining and research I guess, not sure about military stations (haven't built any).

I did realize that for outposts, thankfully!  I think the tutorial was helpful about it.  Just somehow I thought I had tried colonizing an unclaimed system and failed.

I was considering switching to pacifism, but I don't need more core systems.  The sector seems to be developing just fine for now.  75% tax so I never need to spend influence to drain it, I just throw it minerals occasionally.
I do want that 20% unity bonus though, so I'll keep it in mind...  I need to reform my government first, anyway, or my Distinguished Admiralty would sit there unused.  I should probably clear more crystal creatures before I do either.  It'd also piss off the militarists to the north, and they're very strong.

Being too strong to invade is a good way to stay at peace...  And I like that the pacifist faction actually seems cool with that, as long as I develop the economy too.

Warp is so simple, I'm glad I started with it.  The lanes might be interesting too, I did like Space Empires.  Wormholes sound so tricky.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: July 02, 2017, 03:28:45 pm »

Wormhole is great for moving long distances quickly. Warp moves slowly, and hyperdrives have to stick to certain paths, but with a couple of range increases a single wormhole station can pop your doomstack from one end of your empire to the other in just two moves.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: July 02, 2017, 04:37:58 pm »

Wormhole is also great for rapidly concentrating forces, since travel time doesn't depend on distance. If you have many systems producing ships and want to form a doomstack in one place, for example, Warp or Hyperlane empires need time for their more distant ships to arrive wherever they're massing. Wormhole empires can bring in (equal-sized) stacks from many places simultaneously regardless of distance -- and for upgraded Wormhole stations, those places can be over 100 ly apart.

It can be tricky, but it's serviceable without digging too deeply into the mechanics of wormhole transit time and amazing when you do.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: July 02, 2017, 04:51:45 pm »

Yeah, wormholes are awesome. Having to spend some resources on infrastructure is nothing when you can effectively fight a two-front war with a single fleet. It's just that convenient once you have a decent network. Here's a tip for them, by the way: you can build multiple wormhole stations in a system to fix the bottleneck of them only transporting one fleet/civilian ship at a time.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: July 02, 2017, 04:53:50 pm »

You can also build them in hostile space while you're at war, though they'll disappear at the war's conclusion.  Once I have a sizeable mineral income, I don't find it terrible to task a construction ship to maintaining my warfleet's logistical arm by building wormhole stations as we go, since it takes a bit of time to reduce planets in either case. 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: July 02, 2017, 05:35:41 pm »

Only real downside to wormholes, in my experience, is the early game. It's a lot slower to move out and survey/expand when you have to stop and build wormhole stations. Especially when you're in the mineral starved section of the game before you get a good economy going.

Which is fine. Every system needs some sort of downside.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: July 02, 2017, 08:58:24 pm »

Which is fine. Every system needs some sort of downside.

Speaking of balanced systems, what ethics and civics do people prefer? I've been trying out materialism, xenophilia, and egalitarianism so I can get additional Unity (via Beacon of Liberty) but still declare unrestricted wars.
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 632