Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678220 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5025 on: July 06, 2017, 12:35:58 pm »

How reliable are npc allies in coming to your aid? Will they just faff about while youre being wasted?

They're fanatical about helping, which is why they can seem so random.

From what I've seen, the AI really doesn't like leaving ships in reserve; given time, they'll throw everything they've got into whatever war they're currently fighting, regardless of whether the additional fleet power will make any significant difference. The changes to Warscore also mean they're reluctant to surrender even when the vast majority of their fleet lies in ruins and their spaceports are all wrecked, so long as they haven't lost many planets yet.

These two factors act in combination to make the actual tonnage an ostensibly committed empire will send to defend you (or attack on your behalf) really variable. Your vassals and/or space liege will send their entire fleet your way, but they may well have all their ships halfway across the galaxy fighting some tiny two-planet empire if not destroyed outright.

I've found that vassals, at least, will supply troops more reliably than they will warships, since they don't need their spaceport infrastructure to create transports en masse and those transports will spawn with their best technology automatically. If you bombard planets down and leave a small force to keep them down, you'll see vassals coming to take them with some reliability.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: July 06, 2017, 02:14:36 pm »

Well thats all good to know, thanks.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: July 06, 2017, 02:18:53 pm »

In response to the pricing fiasco Paradox did awhile back, they're offering a free game or two pieces of DLC to anyone who bought their stuff (non-USD) since May 17: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/pricing-change-rollback-information-thread-latest-news-here.1031635/

The thread has info on how to claim your stuff if you did buy anything.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5028 on: July 06, 2017, 03:23:49 pm »

Thanks for the notice. I actually qualify since I recently bought something so I'll probably get a key to give away on here.

Whoops looks like USD purchases were not valid for this
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:31:07 pm by forsaken1111 »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: July 06, 2017, 03:44:10 pm »

Not sure if this is actually a defeat, or an advantage, but its screwed up my game plan.
A fallen empire, the taknu, decided to become relevant again. Since theyre fanatical xenophiles and pacifists, this means enforcing peace in the galaxy. So their first act, not a month later? To demand i sign their pact and become a vassal. Or die, presumbly, but i didnt want to risk finding out what the punishment for refusing would be. This kicked me from my federation with another state, which has gone on to form a new federation with another nation that refused to join ours because they didnt like me, even though we were great pals and they had maxed out trust and +120 opinion. I dont really understand diplomacy.

Then i saw the taknu fleet. They went out to a system with some pirates in it and obliterated them. The total fleet power estimate was over 200k for their fleet. The next worst ive seen is the space cthulu fallen empire, a fanatical xenophobic authoritarian state, and their "2nd Murder" fleet of 80k that wrecked all my shit when i colonized a planet too close to them. i honestly save scummed when that happened because there was simply nothing i could do, game over try again you know

Maybe i can piss off the other three fallen empires, and since im a protectorate/vassal of the taknu they will defend me? If they take the brunt of the fleet warfare, maybe i can get away with abandoning their treaty or something? In the meantime, im left to colonize everything everywhere, build ships and economy, and develop new technologies.

How reliable are npc allies in coming to your aid? Will they just faff about while youre being wasted?
The awakened empire federations are... Special. Anything you learn about NPC proclivities and federation mechanics from how they behave may not translate to more generic allies and federation mechanics.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: July 08, 2017, 05:07:24 am »

Inhave to say, forming your own federation involves way too much luck. You have to end up near another civ with basically your exact same ethics, but not too close so you start losing opinion to threat/border friction. Honestly, I think I prefer just to conquer and vassal swarm things instead.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: July 08, 2017, 06:24:06 am »

Inhave to say, forming your own federation involves way too much luck. You have to end up near another civ with basically your exact same ethics, but not too close so you start losing opinion to threat/border friction. Honestly, I think I prefer just to conquer and vassal swarm things instead.
Oddly, this is almost precisely how you form your own federation as well: conquer and liberate-swarm.  It could use quite a bit of work, I'd say, given that perhaps the biggest example of a federation in sci-fi (The Federation, rather) expanded quite peacefully and even ranks among its founding principles Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.  Near-identical ethics should make things easier, but its absence shouldn't be quite the bar it seems to be at present.  At least, at present, a bar short of some major threat-building hegemonizing swarm that basically outweighs every other relation modifier by an order of magnitude and thus skews the diplomatic game in all sorts of odd ways.
Especially since said "threat-building hegemonizing swarm" is almost always going to be the player.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:28:29 am by Culise »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: July 08, 2017, 07:26:45 am »

There is a mod that adds in opinion modifiers based on your policies, some civics, ethics and sometimes degree varies based on ethics and stuff.  But won't integrate with mods that add new stuff like the ethic and government rebuild.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=903310693&searchtext=Opinion

Also FML.  No wonder why my games are so stable.  I have the 'Useful Opinions' mod which makes it much easier for everyone to be buddies.

*Insert complaints about slavery being on the same level as purging when it comes to atrocities.*. They should be separated.

EDIT: I've also vassalized this wanker who has Warp, while I have Hyper.  Beat em on virtue of them jumping the gap into my territory/frontier outpost. 
Here is the thing though, south of him is clear and unclaimed.  Been like that for the first 70 years.
They have left it empty while jumping the gap to my expansion area to build outposts the whole time.   Holy fuck does that piss me off.  (I resorted to console deleting that shit.)
Now some other random wankers moved in all over their open area.
And the range I shortened on Warp/worm is still not enough.  Will nerf it some more.

EDIT2 diplomacy/trade is also a random shit, not even sure when and why I can't demand certain outposts.  Especially the ones in the middle of my territory.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:54:41 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5033 on: July 08, 2017, 01:24:27 pm »

One of my best runs was Fanatic Purifier spiritualists that turned Synth. (took some faction finagling, you can't research Synths if you're spiritualist)
needless to say that was Ideologically Impure but it was fun to murder everyone in the name of Robo Space Jesus
Not the most implausible one tbh
Fanatical purifiers think all other life is a mistake and must be destroyed, and synths are soulless automatons and the fools who copy their personalities into imperfect machines have killed the beings that were once them - to take the step further and eliminate their own selves in order to better exterminate all life in the cosmos is not that large a leap to make, when you are running from the starting position that life in the cosmos is a cosmic mistake

The trick is to rush NAPs and other crap, and worse comes to worst send them loads of free shit through the barter system. If you secure a migration treaty it's all ogre. Diplomacy perks mandatory. With the way the faction system works, a militiaristic authoritarian Empire will over time have its peace faction burgeon ridonkulously and if you can chuck charismatic xenos on all their planets all the better, ethos drift will drift them to you

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: July 08, 2017, 09:31:20 pm »

I managed to win my first war against another empire after a bunch of xenophobic blue smurfs started stealing my territory by colonizing a planet at the edge of my empire. That'll teach them not to try stealing land from xenophobic warrior lizards.

Wew that was fun. Blew a bunch of ships up, glassed a planet from orbit, raised invading armies, and convinced the entire population of one of my planets that religion is meaningless and materialism is the answer to war-time woes.

Neat.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: July 10, 2017, 01:23:17 am »

Razed?
Black lives matter.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: July 10, 2017, 08:42:23 am »

Razed?
Basically. I bombarded the planet with my fleet for almost an entire ingame year before learning that I need to send armies onto the planet surface to conquer it.

Funny enough, after the dust settled and the war ended I got ownership of the planet, which is inhabitable to my xenophobic lizards, but is habitable to the xenophobic blue smurfs. And a few smurf pops survived the planetary bombardment and are now enslaved members of my empire. Didn't know that could happen.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: July 10, 2017, 09:47:22 am »

Razed?
Basically. I bombarded the planet with my fleet for almost an entire ingame year before learning that I need to send armies onto the planet surface to conquer it.

Funny enough, after the dust settled and the war ended I got ownership of the planet, which is inhabitable to my xenophobic lizards, but is habitable to the xenophobic blue smurfs. And a few smurf pops survived the planetary bombardment and are now enslaved members of my empire. Didn't know that could happen.
Err, do you mean uninhabitable to your lizards, or do you mean that it can be inhabited by both species?  Inhabitable/habitable is one of those odd word pairings that can be synonyms rather than antonyms in spite of the "in-" prefix, much like inflammable/flammable.  Unfortunately, it is *also* one of those regular word pairings that actually are antonyms due to the "in-" prefix, especially in older works where the Early Modern conflation of "inhabitable" with "able to inhabit" has not yet occurred, which makes it a bit of a headache to parse at times. :P

But yeah, a surrender by the enemy automatically wins you any of the war conditions you set at the start of the war.  If you set that planet as a war goal, that would explain it.  If you didn't, I'm not sure. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:49:58 am by Culise »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: July 10, 2017, 09:54:54 am »

Quibbling FYI:  "inhabitable" is like "inflammable".  It means "habitable".  Yeah, I don't know what the point is either, but you want "uninhabitable".  NINJA'D

I had blue smurfs in my game too, and they were amusingly inept zealous purifiers:  http://www.stellariswiki.com/Species#/media/File:Humanoid_03.png
Apparently they aren't a preset race, so it was just random chance.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: July 10, 2017, 11:03:22 am »

I initially typed "inhospitable" but changed "hospitable" to "habitable" without thinking too much.

I did demand the planet be ceded as a war demand, but didn't know that meant I got the planet and its inhabitants as members of my empire. Initially I just wanted the smurfs to get away from my borders. My lizards can't inhabit the planet but the smurfs can. So I now have a colonized planet in my empire that will basically be a planet dedicated to producing slave pops, because they're the only ones who can live there. My lizards need hot planets and the smurfs need cold planets.

It sounds pretty neat though. Xenophobe lizards taking xenophobe blue people as slaves in war and using them to colonize and exploit planets that the lizards can't inhabit. I might start bullying the blue people empire for war slaves every once in a while now.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 632