Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678204 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5130 on: July 27, 2017, 06:03:58 pm »

My current game as a devouring swarm is going well, it seems. I currently have 8 systems (out of my 10 core) colonized, one with two planets even. I decided to vassalize a neighboring empire who was the only one not in a network of defensive pacts. Fortunately, none of them can take me on, though I got no idea if I can take them on right now either.

Also an enigmatic fortress is right in the middle of my territory. And a ruined dyson sphere!

I think this one will be the run where I wipe out all other species in the galaxy. Maybe even knock out one of the end-game threat achievements (I did manage to defeat the AI in 1.0, but I didn't realize that for that one you need to actually let them grow to get the infiltrators and the 'chiev) and the victory one.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:05:39 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: July 27, 2017, 06:59:42 pm »

If you make a ship with the picket behavior, no point defence weapons, and heavy armor, will it intentionally facetank missiles?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5132 on: July 27, 2017, 07:04:33 pm »

If you make a ship with the picket behavior, no point defence weapons, and heavy armor, will it intentionally facetank missiles?
Probably would facetank everything

I guess with some modding you could make destroyers capable of carrying a minefield aura with range of 0.1 but insane damage at a slow rate, so you could have a simmulation of dedicated kamakaze ships that fly into the enemy fleet to asplode (see if pd can stop that)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: July 27, 2017, 07:07:09 pm »

I don't want kamikaze ships, I want a shieldwall.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: July 27, 2017, 11:30:38 pm »

Really it would make more sense to have behaviours divorced from ship computers and hulls, so that a destroyer need not always be a picket ship nor a battleship need always be a sniper or a corvette be the only good ship
I mean that's how it started, having them divorced. I still don't really know why they changed it...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: July 28, 2017, 01:14:25 am »

Really it would make more sense to have behaviours divorced from ship computers and hulls, so that a destroyer need not always be a picket ship nor a battleship need always be a sniper or a corvette be the only good ship
I mean that's how it started, having them divorced. I still don't really know why they changed it...
Because with them divorced, it was optimal to only use one class, and they didn't know how else to change that aside from tinkering with balance to make it a different one class.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: July 28, 2017, 11:16:17 am »

I just got incredibly lucky. I managed to get Infinite Creation (the super-rare result from the Infinity Machine chain) and Outside Context (invade Earth during a World War) in a row.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: July 28, 2017, 12:00:14 pm »

Outside Context (invade Earth during a World War)
Can you imagine how much this would suck?

"Why?! Why did you come and invade us?!"

"Achievement"

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: July 29, 2017, 09:49:49 am »

This is the first game since Utopia came out that I've really played far into.

Xenophile FE gave me a battleship, I discovered that neat little ancient buddy event, and that gave me a cool ship, and I've explored most of the galaxy and still haven't met more than 5 empires. Things are looking quite good for the United Nations.

Now if only it didn't take unfathomably long for me to uplift this damn primitive species.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: July 29, 2017, 01:09:23 pm »

Uplift is taking a pre-sentient and turning them sentient, and takes only as long as you have society research.

Enlighten? Infiltrate? Those are more to do with primitive civilizations. They have different terms for different actions, so mixing them up like that is confusing.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: July 29, 2017, 04:46:50 pm »

Yeah, enlighten. Sorry.

I uplifted some cute little lizard dudes though, so now hopefully they'll spread to all my arid/desert/savannah worlds.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: July 29, 2017, 04:55:59 pm »

Yeah, enlighten. Sorry.

I uplifted some cute little lizard dudes though, so now hopefully they'll spread to all my arid/desert/savannah worlds.

You can forcibly move them! It's faster, and crushes their perception of independence at the same time!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: July 30, 2017, 01:12:53 am »

I'm playing my first game as boring old friendly humans. I've been doing pretty good so far, I made a space federation with some other aliens and we've been happily picking apart some xenophobic bird people that had been giving us all problems since the start of the game.

Then... a fallen empire woke up and declared war on our space federation. Actually first they gobbled up some other empire (so they have a bunch of planets) then they declared war on us.

They have a really massive fleet - ~366,000 strength, and a second fleet ~200,000 strength, and they are building a third fleet (~15,000 so far). My fleet is ~30,000 and my allies are all less than that (~15,000 max) so there's absolutely no way we can possibly beat them in a straight up fight.

I'm managing to hold them off by basically abusing the broken stupid AI - I fly a single corvette into their home territory, which triggers every single enemy ship to retreat to defend, then I fly my main fleet in to blow something up somewhere else. It's.... sort of working, but honestly I'm stalling for time and not much else - they are too fast, I don't have time to bombard anything, and blowing up outposts etc does not give any warscore (...why? attacking the enemy economy should give something) so it's basically just a matter of time before I'm a little bit too slow and get blown apart (already had a few close calls).

My allies are completely, 100% useless. I don't know what they are doing, but it seems like a whole lot of nothing. Despite the fact I'm tying up both enemy fleets almost 100% of the time, they aren't attacking anywhere or capturing anything, just flying their fleets around in circles in their own territory.

I don't know what to do. I'm already sitting at basically max fleet cap - I'm leveling up my last few spaceports to max, but I'm not going to squeeze more than 2,000 more fleet power out of that at best. Tech progression does not seem to make enough of a difference to matter either - I'm not going to double my power so just forget about getting the 10x more power I need.

Is this game lost? And if yes - is there any way to actually beat them, or is it just a fancy "game over, you lose" screen?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: July 30, 2017, 02:05:28 am »

What do they want in the war?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: July 30, 2017, 11:21:57 am »

What do they want in the war?

12 of my ally's planets

Edit: I managed to sneak cap a planet which pushed us up to (barely) positive warscore and earned us a white peace, so we've got some time. Still not sure what to do about the situation long-term.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:35:53 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 632