Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677330 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5160 on: July 31, 2017, 09:12:12 pm »

I feel like crises could be improved a lot.

Right now they feel like nothing more than elaborate "if player.CombinedFleetStrength > x then win() else lose()" conditionals. You either stomp over the crisis or you lose. There's a small segment in between where you're able to successfully mobilize in time, but that's rare and still pretty close to the former "stomping over" outcome.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: July 31, 2017, 11:35:13 pm »

Maybe some event lines that make it harder/easier?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: August 01, 2017, 12:22:04 am »

Some events after the crisis has taken 5/10/20/33 percent of the galaxy, to weaken them in interesting ways, would be welcome. Newly-independent queens taking chunks out of the territory and starting a civil war, or infections running through the organic ships. Disruptions to the portal the extradimensionals use, making them weaker. Etc. Make it more dynamic.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: August 01, 2017, 05:15:28 am »

I mean... there kind of are already.
The Unbidden will have more factions spawn that are hostile to each other (and you, but eh). The Aberrant and Vehement even have a tendancy to fight each other, first.
Prethoryn Scourge has the Sentinel special empire that spawns when the Scourge is strong enough to help fight. Think that's 20% of the galaxy?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: August 01, 2017, 10:35:28 am »

I mean... there kind of are already.
The Unbidden will have more factions spawn that are hostile to each other (and you, but eh). The Aberrant and Vehement even have a tendancy to fight each other, first.
Prethoryn Scourge has the Sentinel special empire that spawns when the Scourge is strong enough to help fight. Think that's 20% of the galaxy?

Sentinels are bloody worthless.

I have never beaten the Prethoryn. Even with phase-lance equipped dreads and legions of carriers with oceans of PD, the best I can manage is to hold the line.

Last time I went up against the Prethoryn, I held my sector while they gobbled up everyone else (who were all laughably underpowered compared to me), and the sentinels finally spawned. I threw every bit of money I could at the bastards.

They were wiped out nearly immediately.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5165 on: August 01, 2017, 12:14:23 pm »

Sentinels are bloody worthless.
I have never beaten the Prethoryn. Even with phase-lance equipped dreads and legions of carriers with oceans of PD, the best I can manage is to hold the line.
Last time I went up against the Prethoryn, I held my sector while they gobbled up everyone else (who were all laughably underpowered compared to me), and the sentinels finally spawned. I threw every bit of money I could at the bastards.
They were wiped out nearly immediately.
Just build a fast hyperlane or wormhole fleet, jump into their habitated worlds and bombard the shit out of them with apocalyptic or full bombardment. Once done, gtfo, rinse and repeat. Without planets the prethoryn swarm will be wiped down by attrition alone, as they can't terraform or colonize barren worlds
This lets you effectively fight the swarm even if you lack the strength to exterminate its fleets. You need only be strong enough to wipe out its forts and fast enough to evade its omfgwtfbbqswarm fleets

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: August 01, 2017, 12:46:33 pm »

The prethoryn are quite beatable, but generally not if you use the ISB mod.  ISB makes the prethoryn missiles stronger and impossible to intercept, so you just die, period.

Also carriers aren't generally all that useful against the swarm in my experience.  Additionally, the sentinels have pretty much never been of any value.

As a final note, what do you mean by oceans of PD?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:49:22 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: August 01, 2017, 01:30:48 pm »

The prethoryn are quite beatable, but generally not if you use the ISB mod.  ISB makes the prethoryn missiles stronger and impossible to intercept, so you just die, period.

Also carriers aren't generally all that useful against the swarm in my experience.  Additionally, the sentinels have pretty much never been of any value.

As a final note, what do you mean by oceans of PD?

PD Fighters, typically really great at cutting down missiles and enemy fighters, in addition to peacemaker laser defense batteries on the backs of the dreads and on the defensive frigates.

ISB is the thing to blame I suppose.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: August 01, 2017, 04:59:24 pm »

Whats the most fun play through you guys usually have?

I always go Military or complete attacking type empires as I don't see sitting around in a federation very exciting.

But im open to try something different.

I always find I do nothing for a solid hour, feel like im missing out on some early game stuff.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5169 on: August 01, 2017, 05:44:04 pm »

PD Fighters, typically really great at cutting down missiles and enemy fighters, in addition to peacemaker laser defense batteries on the backs of the dreads and on the defensive frigates.

ISB is the thing to blame I suppose.
Don't use PD fighters, they take up valuable battleship or cruiser space which would be much, much, much better spent on lances or kinetic artillery. A kinetic battery which destroys a swarm carrier also destroys that carrier's 8 swarm drones, a fighter hangar which destroys all 8 swarm drones hasn't dealt with the carrier. It's much much much better to instead of relying on PD fighters, rely on Flak Batteries.

Flak Batteries have much higher damage and higher tracking than fighters, meaning flak batteries take out enemy strike craft much quicker than any point defence module. They are also highly effective versus enemy corvette sized units for this reason too. They can be effectively spammed on picket destroyers or cruisers, or even just added one on every single ship so the prethoryn swarm effectively becomes declawed but for their acid spray.

If you must take strike craft (and they are really not worth it in most situations), take bombers instead. Kinetic artillery though > all strike craft modules. Also just saying, PD fighters can get shot down or end up clustered over the enemy when they should be protecting the fleet, flak artillery never stops guarding the ship

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: August 01, 2017, 06:57:59 pm »

Flak cruisers are ideal, I have found.  They fit the most flak per mineral, and are very survivable.  50 flak cruisers and 50 DPS battleships (preferably kinetic batteries for range, which makes them drastically more effective) are about all you need to destroy vanilla swarm, with occasional retreats to repair.  Regenerative hull membrane helps a lot with endurance if you can get it, allowing you to butcher many more fleets on your swarm world killing missions before having to take a breather.

ISB swarm arent beatable.  Maybe at minimum difficulty, never tried that.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: August 03, 2017, 08:53:42 am »

Synthethic Dawn expansion announced.

Dev Diary #80 - Machine Empires.

Both transcribed below, expansion first.

Spoiler: Beep Boop (click to show/hide)

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5172 on: August 03, 2017, 09:17:52 am »

Servitors sound fucking dank, now I can make all my space habitat xeno preserves even more utopian

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: August 03, 2017, 09:19:23 am »

I am looking forward to our synthetic overlords.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: August 03, 2017, 11:21:29 am »

So it's basically hivemind+. The servitors have a nice bonus mechanic (or at least a nice concept for one) but still not a huge change. I'm a bit disappointed that this seems incompatible with biological empires that undergo synthetic ascension, though at least there's some new stuff there from other dev diaries.
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 632