Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677323 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6210 on: March 22, 2018, 11:09:25 am »

war weariness should increase mostly if there's high attrition while having low gains or losses

losses and gains alone shouldn't really pump up weariness. the civilian get weary of what? (beside we had states that have been in war state for a century and nobody even noticed https://www.upi.com/Archives/1981/11/11/Extra-Extra-Huescar-makes-peace-with-Denmark/8195374302800/ )

conquests should instead reduce weariness unless you have certain empire traits. losses as well should reduce weariness unless you have some specific traits.

random actions that go against your empire traits should as well have an impact on weariness - extremely xenophobic? bombing aliens should reduce the weariness, etc. 

this would of course make certain traits overpowered in combat and since the game doesn't have enough non combat options for conquest to balance them out it might be not possible to do until another expansion for diplomatic/subterfuge conquest

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: March 22, 2018, 11:13:08 am »

Yeah, the forced truce thing is really silly, thematically. I get why it is in place, for gameplay reasons, since otherwise having a devouring swarm or whatever on your borders that is stronger than you could end up being a very painful game over for the player as the swarm can just spam wars.

But there must be a better way of handling it than a weird Galactic Consensus about wars that everyone follows no matter what.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: March 22, 2018, 11:23:55 am »

You know, Paradox could always try something radical, like integrating War Exhaustion into their existing system of citizen factions. Each faction type as different goals in war; the materialists want more shit, the authoritarians want more worlds, the militarists want to win, the xenophiles want their border to be left the fuck alone, egalitarians want to end oppression, pacifists want he war to be over, and spiritualists want whatever the great space god tells them to want.

Each faction could contribute to the war exhaustion based on their goal in the war. You're capturing lots of nice systems with plenty of resources? Materialists aren't going to complain, hell, throw in a strategic resource and they may even roll it back a bit. However, the pacifists are going to be upset as all hell that you're embarking on a war seemingly with the intention of just raiding resources from your neighbors, and the authoritarians aren't going to be impressed unless there was an actual world conquered in those resource rich systems.

Scale these effects by how many pops you have of any particular ethos, and bam, it's almost an organic system. If you're in a war and you just need a little bit longer, you can use faction suppression to cut down the influence of the peaceniks, or to encourage the militarists who approve of you trucking across the system and showing the enemy fleets whose boss even if you don't actually conquer ground.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6213 on: March 22, 2018, 11:54:19 am »

You know, Paradox could always try something radical, like integrating War Exhaustion into their existing system of citizen factions. Each faction type as different goals in war; the materialists want more shit, the authoritarians want more worlds, the militarists want to win, the xenophiles want their border to be left the fuck alone, egalitarians want to end oppression, pacifists want he war to be over, and spiritualists want whatever the great space god tells them to want.

Each faction could contribute to the war exhaustion based on their goal in the war. You're capturing lots of nice systems with plenty of resources? Materialists aren't going to complain, hell, throw in a strategic resource and they may even roll it back a bit. However, the pacifists are going to be upset as all hell that you're embarking on a war seemingly with the intention of just raiding resources from your neighbors, and the authoritarians aren't going to be impressed unless there was an actual world conquered in those resource rich systems.

Scale these effects by how many pops you have of any particular ethos, and bam, it's almost an organic system. If you're in a war and you just need a little bit longer, you can use faction suppression to cut down the influence of the peaceniks, or to encourage the militarists who approve of you trucking across the system and showing the enemy fleets whose boss even if you don't actually conquer ground.
I suppose there is something hilarious about supremacist and militiarist factions pushing for war and then pushing for peace, then getting angry that their government isn't at war. This should go to some lengths towards fixing that. To develop your idea further, would the xenophile faction have war specific objectives? I'd say they'd increase war exhaustion for all the collateral damage planetary bombardment or invasions cause (so unleashing xenomorphs onto an enemy planet would be political suicide with a dominant xenophile faction), but leaving the borders alone seems like something the isolationist faction would want, while the isolationists and prosperity factions would both just increase war exhaustion for fighting in a war at all. You could also tie it into wargoals, so imperialist factions decrease war exhaustion for a subjugation CB to turn another state into a vassal, or the exterminator factions decrease war exhaustion for every captured world

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: March 22, 2018, 11:57:12 am »

Unfortunately, the design head is Wiz. Pretty much only Doomdark is able to keep mechanics related and integrated in a way that makes each more significant rather than just piling up until they get tedious. To be fair, their DLC policy does complicate that goal.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: March 22, 2018, 12:02:47 pm »

Not going to lie. I legitimately forgot that factions were in the game for a moment. They are just... there.

War Exhaustion based on faction goals/happiness/whatever would be a great idea and make factions feel a lot more relevant than they actually are.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: March 22, 2018, 12:07:48 pm »

I suppose there is something hilarious about supremacist and militiarist factions pushing for war and then pushing for peace, then getting angry that their government isn't at war. This should go to some lengths towards fixing that. To develop your idea further, would the xenophile faction have war specific objectives? I'd say they'd increase war exhaustion for all the collateral damage planetary bombardment or invasions cause (so unleashing xenomorphs onto an enemy planet would be political suicide with a dominant xenophile faction), but leaving the borders alone seems like something the isolationist faction would want, while the isolationists and prosperity factions would both just increase war exhaustion for fighting in a war at all. You could also tie it into wargoals, so imperialist factions decrease war exhaustion for a subjugation CB to turn another state into a vassal, or the exterminator factions decrease war exhaustion for every captured world

IMHO, xenophiles should be proponents of war against determined exterminators, devouring swarms, and other intrinsically unreasonable faction- though maybe less so against the Fanatical Purifiers, since they can eventually be converted with enough work. (As I believe happened in your own LP) If you're in a war with an ally, then liberating allied worlds should tick back your war exhaustion slightly, and supporting allied fleets should slow it down. I agree that the more apocalyptic your bombardment policy is, they more they're going to protest and complain.

I can see isolationists being okay with war when you're maintaining a buffer around your territory. Xenophobes would probably be okay with you obliterating the stations that border your territory, but they'd hate having you try to get vassals or (god forbid) integrate new worlds.

I need to dip into Stellaris modding and see if this is project is even remotely possible...
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: March 22, 2018, 12:09:59 pm »

I like this idea too!  Just to add on - Pacifists should be relatively happy to be in defensive wars, including ones due to defensive pacts/"guarantee independence".  Warmongers must be resisted!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: March 22, 2018, 12:24:10 pm »

Isolationists want to be left alone.  Being in a defensive war would really motivate their type.  Cause GTFO invaders, up till you push them out. 
(But really, should be some logic for when the same enemy continues to declare war again and again.  Final solution.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: March 22, 2018, 12:26:34 pm »

The only problem with that is that the Pacifist faction is the 'greedy energy-grubbers' faction. They want peace and stability to get rich, not out of philosophical ideals. Expanding the different factions and making more of them is probably needed too if this idea is being perused. This would also help make empires and ethics feels more distinct from each other too, which is something I really want out of Stellaris. Right now the different ethics mostly feel like different styles of hats. Not identical but still functionally interchangeable in most cases. This is why I like gestalt empires because they at least try to feel distinct even if they don't completely succeed.

Isolationists want to be left alone.  Being in a defensive war would really motivate their type.  Cause GTFO invaders, up till you push them out. 
(But really, should be some logic for when the same enemy continues to declare war again and again.  Final solution.)

The solution is simple. Make the Isolationist faction happy when you create a buffer zone out of taken systems/planets. And then expand that buffer zone to the entire galaxy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6220 on: March 22, 2018, 12:30:38 pm »

IMHO, xenophiles should be proponents of war against determined exterminators, devouring swarms, and other intrinsically unreasonable faction- though maybe less so against the Fanatical Purifiers, since they can eventually be converted with enough work. (As I believe happened in your own LP) If you're in a war with an ally, then liberating allied worlds should tick back your war exhaustion slightly, and supporting allied fleets should slow it down. I agree that the more apocalyptic your bombardment policy is, they more they're going to protest and complain.
I can see isolationists being okay with war when you're maintaining a buffer around your territory. Xenophobes would probably be okay with you obliterating the stations that border your territory, but they'd hate having you try to get vassals or (god forbid) integrate new worlds.
I need to dip into Stellaris modding and see if this is project is even remotely possible
There could be different xenophilic factions, based upon what the secondary or tertiary ethos, or even civics are. So a xenophile/militiarist/individualist would advocate wars of liberation against hegemonic slavers, or containment wars against the exterminator-type states, while the more neutral xenophile faction is neither supportive nor opposed to war as long as xenos casualties are minimized. Isolationists sound pretty hilarious, getting angry at conquering worlds, and I suppose they could be fun as a faction that supports everything in war (collateral damage, heavy bombardment, planet destroyers) EXCEPT conquering xenos pops or subjugating enemy states, because they just want to be left alone and not get involved with xenos. Regarding fanatical purifiers becoming pacifists, I'm not sure if it can be done in the current game peacefully like I did in my LP, and if you can I haven't seen it happen yet. This may tie into the devs making the fanatical purifier civic impossible to add or remove. It's possible that the civic can still be made to go inactive, which will make the state normal again, but I haven't tested or seen this yet. This all sounds like dank beans ideas though

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: March 22, 2018, 12:37:05 pm »

Speaking of wars and WW, I have a bit of an annoying situation in my Space Dwarf game. My federation has just about won the game. We need like...10 planets I think to win. We are in a war of conquest against another faction have have conquered everything they have except for some stuff that was conquered by another empire who was also at war with them.

WW for both sides is sitting at about 10 for us and 7 for them. We can't win-win as far as I can tell because that other empire controls some of the systems and planets. A status quo peace would win it for us, I think, but I didn't start the war so I can't end it.

Is my only option really to just wait it out for however long it takes for attrition to end the war?

Is there some planet maybe that wasn't conquered by us and one of that faction still holds? If so, is there an easy way to find it? Because these factions have stuff scattered around the galaxy and manually looking at each system to see if one of them has a planet we don't own yet is going to be annoying.

I suppose I could declare war on that other empire to try and take the stuff they've taken from the first federation and then go for a status quo peace, but I'm not sure the rest of the federation would be willing to start a war when we're in one already.

And that empire is second in power only to myself, so while we'd win it could be annoying.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: March 22, 2018, 12:37:45 pm »

Civics are automatically disabled if you don't meet the ethics, which is most likely to occur with shifting your ethics. This certainly includes Purifiers and I've seen a bunch of people talk about strategically disabling and enabling it by shifting their ethics. In the early game you shift away to disable Purifiers and engage in normal diplomacy, so that you don't get jumped by a bunch of empires at once. Later on, once you're strong enough, you shift back to your original ethics and get the purification train rolling.

Doing this to the AI is probably going to be difficult though. I have no idea how you'd influence their ethics to the point where they'd shift ethics away. Using the spiritualist colossus might work but sounds slow and tedious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6223 on: March 22, 2018, 12:46:38 pm »

Civics are automatically disabled if you don't meet the ethics, which is most likely to occur with shifting your ethics. This certainly includes Purifiers and I've seen a bunch of people talk about strategically disabling and enabling it by shifting their ethics. In the early game you shift away to disable Purifiers and engage in normal diplomacy, so that you don't get jumped by a bunch of empires at once. Later on, once you're strong enough, you shift back to your original ethics and get the purification train rolling.

Doing this to the AI is probably going to be difficult though. I have no idea how you'd influence their ethics to the point where they'd shift ethics away. Using the spiritualist colossus might work but sounds slow and tedious.
There's also the problem that if they're xenophobic-spiritualist, the colossus would be ineffective at persuading them to ethic shift. One possible way would be to just completely surround their Empire with overwhelming force, but never allow them to ever go to war. After a while the pacifist faction should become pretty stronk and eventually one of their leaders should become the pacifist leader, and that could cause them to ethic shift to isolationist. Then you can invade them, take over their worlds, add loads of xenos and start another war where you let them retake their worlds and allow the xenos to pop individualist and xenoist factions, but I think that late into the game the purifiers would have all the government ethic buildings and modules needed to retain total control

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: March 22, 2018, 12:52:26 pm »

The Fanatic Purifier civic requires Fanatic Xenophobe ethics, so making them switch to Fanatic Spiritualists would disable it. I have no clue if the AI will do that by themselves if enough of their pops are Spiritualist but theoretically it's possible.
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 632