Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1693457 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6240 on: March 22, 2018, 08:26:40 pm »

Just finished my space dwarves game. First time I've ever actually bothered to win a full game of Stellaris. Usually I get bored and quit because the game goes so slow.

Can I just say...that is the lamest ending for a 4x game I've encountered?

Does it say 'YOU WIN' in monospace and shoot the pixel fireworks from the old Solitaire games?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: March 22, 2018, 08:33:16 pm »

All the pop-cards launch from the bottom over the course of half an hour, with a cheap 90's streaming effect (not erasing the frames).
I assume
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: March 22, 2018, 11:21:09 pm »

Just finished my space dwarves game. First time I've ever actually bothered to win a full game of Stellaris. Usually I get bored and quit because the game goes so slow.

Does it say 'YOU WIN' in monospace and shoot the pixel fireworks from the old Solitaire games?
It's literally just a text box. You can also easily end up "winning" by accident.

The game doesn't give a shit about you winning. There's actually only one achievement related to it, and it's "win the game in any of the three ways". I'm not even sure why these half-assed victory conditions are even in the game, but I can say the same about a lot of the things in Stellaris.

Like, you'd think you'd be able to win with ascension of some kind. Tech victory? Psychic victory? Robot victory?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: March 23, 2018, 12:36:28 am »

Yeah, pretty much. It said I got a federation victory and showed the members of the federation. With a nice picture of my current leader. Oh, and a Continue or Quit option.

That's all. Even Master of Orion 1 had a better victory screen back in the 90's.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: March 23, 2018, 01:40:03 am »

Yeah, pretty much. It said I got a federation victory and showed the members of the federation. With a nice picture of my current leader. Oh, and a Continue or Quit option.

That's all. Even Master of Orion 1 had a better victory screen back in the 90's.

I mean, I don't mind not having much to work with. Sword of the Stars victory was basically just one unique piece of artwork depicting your species in some regal or conquering position, and it was still worth it because you never saw the damn thing and it was cool art.

Should still feel unique and at least a little special, though I understand why they'd go with something entirely text based given the multitude of potential victors and victories.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: March 23, 2018, 02:54:14 am »

Pretty much, yes :)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: March 23, 2018, 09:58:56 am »

Yeah, the victory screen is underwhelming. I've achieved it once, and now I just call it a win when I get bored of smacking the poor AI around like my punching bag. After the early midgame, wars become sort of... meh. I'm basically an awakened empire by this point, I'm not even allowed to rival anyway anymore, so basically it's just a case of 'make claims, declare war, roll their fleet with 5x the fleetpower they AND their alliance can muster, wait to conquer planets and enforce my claims, do it all again in 10 years'.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: March 23, 2018, 02:28:55 pm »

It would be rad if there was an epilogue segment, sort of how there is a dynamic text thing for when you start based on your government.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: March 23, 2018, 06:13:30 pm »

*shrug* It's a victory screen on a Paradox game. It's not like more than 5% of players are gonna see it, especially more than once. ;P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: March 23, 2018, 06:19:04 pm »

The current victory screen is very unsuitable, and the devs have said they plan to replace it with something else eventually.

I'd hazard a statement though that a satisfying victory is going to need satisfying gameplay and progression mechanics, which currently stellaris is sorely lacking. So it's got a long way to go before it's ready to worry about how you win, when currently the worry is still about how you play.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: March 25, 2018, 10:26:57 pm »

I swear, the one game I try running a non-xenophobe empire to try diplomacy instead of having a bunch of neighbors that hate my guts, and the game gives me neighbors that are all xenophobes. Thanks, game.

No purifiers yet, at least.

The new war system seems underwhelming. I'm disappointed I can't just declare war on an empire on impulse now. Seems like it would make trying to purge xenos more difficult, because now it seems I have to plan false flags make claims on enemy territory before declaring war.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: March 26, 2018, 01:32:29 am »

I liked how SMAC victory (or loss) ended; you get some narrative, a cutscene, a rather attractive (if you did well) monument of milestones, and a silly list of books published based on your score ("I'm Okay, You're a Drone").
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6252 on: March 26, 2018, 10:47:52 pm »

I swear, the one game I try running a non-xenophobe empire to try diplomacy instead of having a bunch of neighbors that hate my guts, and the game gives me neighbors that are all xenophobes. Thanks, game.

No purifiers yet, at least.

The new war system seems underwhelming. I'm disappointed I can't just declare war on an empire on impulse now. Seems like it would make trying to purge xenos more difficult, because now it seems I have to plan false flags make claims on enemy territory before declaring war.

I tried a run as a materialist xenophile empire with open migration and a plan to have a big multicultural empire. The four neighboring empires were Devouring Swarm, Fanatic Purifiers, Determined Exterminators, and Evangelizing Zealots. Shortly I found out there were two more evangelizing zealots near the first (they all formed a federation...), a standard hive empire, and a driven assimilators. So much for multi-cultural empire. I managed to get some refugees from the fanatic purifiers while they were being eaten by the devouring swarm, but I never did get my multicultural empire. The devouring swarm consumed the purifiers and most of the standard hive empire before being totally annexed by a xenophile fallen empire (who didn't awaken, just declared war and annexed them and remained fallen). The assimilators assimilated the rest of the hive empire, the zealot federation wiped out the exterminators, and I managed to squeeze a few systems out of the exterminators while they were getting beaten down by the zealots. After the dust settled, on one side I had a federation of zealots owning 1/2 the map who now had their sights set on their only two neighbors - me and the assimilators - and on the other side a fallen empire who owned 1/4 of the map. My only friend was a robot empire who would happily assimilate me if they could.

I was still doing OK until the prethoryn showed up and the game just up and gave them my dyson sphere system and another system I had built up for the incoming invasion, my two most well defended systems along the map edge (maxed starbase with maxed defense platforms) that they were heading towards and plopped 580k worth of ships on 4 systems. Two of my starbases got insta-replaced with their 25k starbases and the other two didn't last long, so my 250k power worth of fleets that I thought was going to be supported by a 45k starbase ended up fighting a 25k starbase in addition to the 146k of ships. They won, but immediately got stomped by another 290k ships from the two neighboring systems. I retreated but ended up on the other side of my empire for some reason since the fleet's original home was one of the starbases that got annexed, so I couldn't reinforce the systems in time and they wiped out all the neighboring well defended starbases and left me facing a big stack of about 400k fleet power with a fleet that wasn't even 200k even after being merged with reinforcements being built. And without the power from the dyson sphere I had to shut down my mineral replicators and didn't have minerals to reinforce my fleet in time. Before I could do much else the rest of the prethoryn arrived and I quickly lost my two main habitat systems that were producing most of the rest of my minerals. Needless to say, the rest of the war did not go well.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6253 on: March 26, 2018, 11:01:28 pm »

It really bugs me that the game always puts large quantities of opposite-ethics civs in the game as neighbors. The Star Trek mod gives you halfway friendly neighbors and it's an amazing change being able to start out with half a chance of a federation.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: March 27, 2018, 09:00:43 am »

Is that proven to be an actual thing, I've heard people say it's deliberately generated like that, but it's always seemed to lay more in the conspiracy theory area then the hard proof area.

I'll say from my own experience it's always seemed to be a toss up, sometimes my neighbors are  friendly, sometimes not. I've not noticed a particular trend, so I'd assume it's random, but I've not paid enough attention to be sure.

In my last game (last game where I wasn't a no diplomacy civic at least.) I was slaving despots and had to my west three empires, 2 friendly religious nations and a not very friendly religious nation, to my south a not very friendly religious nation, to my east a warrior nation who could have swung either way friendly or not, but I put the work and bribes in to make them friendly. Similarly, the friendly religious nations could have allied up with the unfriendly religious nations, which would have made them unfriendly to me, but I made friends with them before they did, which made them unfriendly to the unfriendly religious nations.

Ultimately it was a very friendly galaxy for those willing to put in the effort to make friends, almost the whole galaxy (eventually the whole galaxy outside of places I owned) joined a religious themed federation, even I did for a time, but the pacifism of the group eventually caused me to break away from them and conquer the unaligned nations for slaves, that made them hate me for about 200 years, but eventually I made friends with them and rejoined the federation once I had killed the Crisis. So the game ended with everyone outside of two surviving AEs in a big friend group. If I was materialist I probably would have found the place a lot less friendly then I did though.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 632