Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678204 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6585 on: June 27, 2018, 10:50:22 am »

Probably so.  The crises will attack space monsters at least.  I just watched the Contingency completely wreck the ether drake without losing any ships.

I also just confirmed that defense platforms and stations are pretty worthless in late game.  The Contingency spawned in one of my border systems that had 40K worth of ships and about 35K worth of station and platforms, and they weren't even a speed bump all together.  I guess I shouldn't have expected much when there were about 400K worth of Contingency ships out of nowhere, but I did hope they'd at least destroy one enemy ship.

At least I'm learning about just how much I missed by not researching jump drives in my last game.  These really, really make redeployment so much more practical with battleships.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: June 27, 2018, 11:21:34 am »

I think for strategic deployment gateways are the way to go. What comes to the static defences, you should think of them as a border patrol rather than real defenses. They keep pirates at bay and at later game work as extra support for fleets in defensive battles, but that's it otherwise.

It would be nice if there was a way to build your Maginot line by constructing military versions of orbitals. Sure, lots of forts make the enemy unable to proceed till he invades, but I meant something with space dakka. Of course, wasting shitloads of resources on that would be stupid due to jump drives, but sometimes it is fun to do stupid things.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: June 27, 2018, 12:07:40 pm »

Yeah, space defenses are a bit situational. I found them to be quite helpful against the Scurge, for instance, since those fleets tend to be smaller and more spread out. And they can't jump, so having a series of defended systems to fight at is quite useful against them.

Against other opponents the actual firepower isn't worth all that much, but the value of the various modules you can put on them can be the tipping point to victory if you've got fairly evenly matched fleets otherwise.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6588 on: June 27, 2018, 06:27:40 pm »

System defense can get pretty serious if you stack the techs that increase their hitpoints and the ascension perk that buffs them even more

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: June 27, 2018, 07:10:33 pm »

I can't bring myself to take that perk over things like habitats or psionics etc etc
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: June 27, 2018, 08:59:15 pm »

I do wish I'd have picked a different ascension perk than the defense platform perk, since it didn't make any difference the one time I had a battle in a system with platforms.  But, like I said before, that was kind of unusual in that the Contingency spawned on top of the station, and I doubt it would be possible for a defensive station to survive that long enough to do any real damage in return.  That was even with the platforms rebuilt to hard counter the Contingency (all shields, no armor).

I guess if you had the perk and multiple levels of the damage and health repeatables for the platforms, they might be pretty decent.  Against the AI they probably would remain useful even into the late game if you had all of that, but I'm guessing human players would usually research jump drives and bypass the systems.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: June 28, 2018, 10:16:45 am »

Against humans you'd probably put them around your main planets rather than choke points in late game. That way if you opponent wants to capture anything of real import they have to deal with them.

Though that's a guess on my part, I haven't ever done competitive Stellaris with other people.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: June 29, 2018, 04:30:21 am »

Do defense platforms still switch sides when defeated in battle, because losing a war to my own defense platforms, while chasing an enemy fleet around, is why I rage-quit stellaris after 2.0
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: June 29, 2018, 09:38:15 am »

How could that even happen?  The station switches sides if the station core is "destroyed", right?  Presumably that would mean that the enemy fleet destroyed the station before the defense platforms, which... is possible I guess.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: June 29, 2018, 10:08:30 am »

Do defense platforms still switch sides when defeated in battle, because losing a war to my own defense platforms, while chasing an enemy fleet around, is why I rage-quit stellaris after 2.0

Yep. That still happens. Only a small fraction of defensive platforms will survive to be converted, but it does occur. Particularly egregious is the fact that you can't directly set the core station's loadout, which can exacerbate the issue.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: June 29, 2018, 02:57:22 pm »

I have never had a station taken over before the platforms are destroyed, but logically if I were to take a space station and it had platforms slaved to it I would keep those around.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: June 30, 2018, 01:21:10 am »

I know this is going to sound dumb, but, how do I use jump drives since the update? They just go like regular hyperdrive ever since it, no option like the science ship special jump etc.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: June 30, 2018, 01:35:01 am »

There's a 'jump' button over on the fleet info bit (where the buttons to merge fleets etc are).

There's also a lengthy cooldown after each jump before you can jump again.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: June 30, 2018, 01:55:29 am »

There's a 'jump' button over on the fleet info bit (where the buttons to merge fleets etc are).

There's also a lengthy cooldown after each jump before you can jump again.

Thank you, now I just have to remind myself never to jump into the enemy.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: June 30, 2018, 08:59:45 am »

think you also get like -50% strength after jumps for a month or something around that
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 632