Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 438412 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1800 on: June 11, 2020, 10:27:58 am »

Options 1,2, and 4 all use the same number of sprites.

I personally use 4 in Armok Vision, and it works pretty well.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: June 11, 2020, 06:55:19 pm »

(and I'd disable Villains by default in the Premium release rather than release that unbalanced mess as a standard feature, or it will hurt the commercial game reception badly).

I'm going to have to disagree with this hard, I'm really looking forward to DF Steam and I want ma Villains included, I'd rather release be delayed then a feature be disabled and prefer it to simply be released with the standard "It's Early Access" warnings then either delayed or disabled.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: June 12, 2020, 01:23:58 am »

Unfortunately, I believe DF is not going to be released as a permanent (or even temporary) Early Access title. You've got your villains now in the shape they're going to be in the Premium release. Trying to fix it is going to happen after the initial release and crash bug fix releases.

Edit: Back on topic: The main problem with the brook image is that it might raise the expectations for everything else to unrealistically high levels ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:49:04 am by PatrikLundell »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: June 12, 2020, 02:44:52 am »

Unfortunately, I believe DF is not going to be released as a permanent (or even temporary) Early Access title. You've got your villains now in the shape they're going to be in the Premium release. Trying to fix it is going to happen after the initial release and crash bug fix releases.

Edit: Back on topic: The main problem with the brook image is that it might raise the expectations for everything else to unrealistically high levels ;)
Not much point in releasing a game that's never (in the attention span of most Steam users) going to be finished as "early access". That implies a full version is coming soon. Better off just saying what the project is and letting people decide if they want to buy a tileset or not.

The main problem is if Kitfox or someone in control of marketing try to lie about what the game is. Or if Steam insist they do for whatever reason (they're already insisting/requesting removal of the "0." from the version number which doesn't bode well).

(Crash bug fixes then Steam release, but I know you knew that).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 02:50:14 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: June 12, 2020, 07:25:39 am »

Unfortunately, I've found nothing on the Steam page that indicates it's subject to perpetual development, or any other indications that it's not a complete, finished, game, and I'd rather see it released as Early Access with a clear description that it's not going to be finished any time soon than hoping Steam would accept a 0.X version numbering AND that number being prominently displayed AND people would understand that this means it actually isn't finished (although there are certainly other games out there that call alpha Early Access, and "Release" is beta with half of the contents not even started).

I don't expect the Premium release to differ dramatically from major releases in the past (and that's very worrying), and so I expect a number of crash bugs to be found when the release get into the hands of a significant number of users (a closed beta might detect an occasional case, but probably not all). I know there is an ambition to try to deal with game play crashes known now before release, and I also know that the second thing that gets tossed out when running out of time (after testing) is fixing of known issues with unidentified causes, because that's time consuming. However, I was referring primarily to the new bugs that weren't known at the release.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: June 12, 2020, 07:34:19 am »

Strange, there was a line about it being a project which was "ongoing with no end in sight" (if you scrolled down enough). Oh well.

--edit
Yeah, still there.
"A lifetime “living” project - created/updated since 2003, with no end in sight".

I suppose it's easily missed. Just think, people might accidentally pay money for a free indie game with ancient pixel-art graphics that they know nothing about.
Not sure that's a thing that actually happens though...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:47:45 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: June 12, 2020, 05:39:05 pm »

Option 3 looks good but I think straight diagonal walls would looks better. Seems possible since it mostly worked in one of the Meph packs in the past.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: June 12, 2020, 05:55:36 pm »

That does need extra handling for special-cases (effectively 'cursively kerning' each tile specifically to its surroundings, and its surroundings to it in return) to not create other anomalies.

Doable, but is the work needed a good investment? Arguable either way.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 05:57:32 pm by Starver »

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: June 14, 2020, 06:35:31 am »

I've watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp7DEUzWOfo and I have a question to artists. Are roads always going to be that noodle shape or they'll be straightened later?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: June 14, 2020, 06:50:25 am »

Oh yeah, adding to that video, might already be planned but something definitely has to be done about the ramp in front on the entrance tunnel that's carved in the middle of the video, that's just horribly confusing.

evthestrike

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire Clay Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: June 14, 2020, 12:38:55 pm »

That can be fixed by the player removing the ramp, but I agree that it's very confusing.

I wonder what ramps look like without walls around them.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: June 18, 2020, 11:16:20 am »

Here's some of the latest art. As usual, it looks great. I'm here to nitpick the iffy cases though, because that seems a little more useful than just saying "awesome!"

* Obviously we don't have a example here for comparison, but without the text description I would have guessed the blue part was the top of a frozen lake, possibly a smoothed one. Or constructed ice floors. Something ice.

* It's a little strange that the border between constructed floors and natural materials isn't a uniform straight line. Sure grass could grow over constructed floors, eventually. Maybe mud could get over them too? I don't see why the boundary between constructed floors and rough stone floors should be uneven though. It might look best if all constructed floor tiles were regular.

* Maybe add some rivets or something to the metal floor? It doesn't really look distinct from what a stone floor might look like, except for the shape of the bars. The specular highlight is more intense, which is something of a hint that it's metal, but it isn't immediately obvious.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: June 18, 2020, 02:21:04 pm »

I absolutely freaking love the glass floor!!! Also, swords are so beautiful.

Wooden floor looks like a brick wall texture to me - it lacks imperfections and patterns wood floors have. Like these https://woodenflooringdelhi.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/21.jpg.
While on topic of wooden floors - would there be textural difference based on what wood is it made of? At least 3 or 4 would be nice.
Metal floor looks... weird somehow. It's off but I can't tell why.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:24:31 pm by ror6ax »
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: June 18, 2020, 02:37:01 pm »

What do you think about changing the spear so it doesn't have that cross guard, but instead, giving it a slightly larger spearhead?  The all brown spear sort of resembles an upside down 2-handed sword with the cross guard like it is.   

Edit:  It may in fact not be a spear now that I look at the other image with more weapon types, but rather a non-dwarf made weapon.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:40:13 pm by Schmaven »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: June 18, 2020, 06:47:52 pm »

The colorings show colors lighter than the material color. Is this done using overlay blending, or using layers?
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 178