Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2D Space Shooter/Colonization  (Read 1609 times)

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2D Space Shooter/Colonization
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:40:51 pm »

I'm a huge fan of games that link tactical finesse with a bigger strategic picture. E.g. Battlefront, Go, etc.

Remember having fun on a 2D space shooter that was also kind of like a 4X game. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about? Played a bit like subspace, only with planetary control. Lots of ferrying colonists to populate worlds...
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: 2D Space Shooter/Colonization
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:43:15 pm »

Sounds like Reunion, but I never played it long enough to see any advanced features.  That probably wasn't it, because the only time you did anything in space was using a cockpit-themed menu.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:44:41 pm »

Alien Legacy

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:47:07 pm »

Flashtrek: Broken Mirror.

Well...Its 2D, you can claim planets, though only a few, and its in space.

Got your 3/5 at least.

The Moonlit Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:42:03 am »

Star Sonata is an MMORPG with that kinda gameplay; it's 2D, combat is real-time with somewhat of a shooter feel to it, and there are strategic elements in that the object of the game is to rule enough of the universe that you can become Emperor.

But I can't think of any single player games of the sort.
A man once said to me, "If you want superpowers, all you have to do is take acid and you'll have any superpower you want." He then asked if I had just, at that moment, shaved half my face; I revealed that as being my superpower. Being suddenly and inexplicably half-shaven.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 12:56:14 am »

Galactic Civilizations sounds like what you're after: A 4X game with colonization, planetary improvements, a nice big research tree, and the joy of ferrying around frigging colonists.
Gal Civ 2 lets you design your own ships, as well.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 01:37:28 pm »

Alien Legacy

2nd'ed.  It's not quite the same genre, but it's an extraordinarily good game.  Just get the disk version, not the inferior CD version with its crummy music and sub-par movies.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 02:20:34 pm »

I'll throw in the hat for Civ IV BtS with the final frontier mod or whatever it is. But I'll call it as decent.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 03:01:39 pm »

This thread reminded me of this for some reason.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 05:06:01 pm »

Other possibilities include Starport GE, which sounds closer to what you described, or Starscape.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 05:55:32 pm »

it could also be warpath. It's more of a beer-and-pretzel game, but it's 2d, there's shooting, ferrying of colonists to colonize planets, and it's in space.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 12:56:07 am »

Wow. Thanks a ton, guys.

This thread brought up a number of good games, most I have played before. Most of these were a blast. Subspace and Starport, particularly.

I think Starport GE was the one I was thinking, had a craving for something along these lines. Will probably roll up a Star Sonata character too, the game looks interesting after trolling the wiki for info.

Aside:
I like having a colony/base operating independantly off of a player avatar. Starport, Star Sonata, Survival Crisis Z, and Hinterlands all seem to hit this nerve with me. Very addictive; a side by side adventure/fortress mode in DF would be a slice of heaven for me.
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor