Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 104411 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2021, 03:52:55 am »

So, it looks like tanning hides is now locked behind the new Chemistry skill.  It doesn't appear to be the same as Cooking, so no grinding boiling water to get the 1 skill point, although I could be wrong.

Ok, I guess that makes sense, but still, when I just downed my first wild boar, and I'd like to do something with the raw pelt before it rots, this basically means "nope, its gonna rot, no way you're getting that skill point in time"

As I'm playing, I'm reminded of how many mechanics of the game are designed just to slow the player down.
I swear, it should be renamed "The Amazing Sitting on My Ass and Doing Nothing Simulator"

EDIT: So I was overreacting.  What a shock.  Cooking the meat got me the skill point to further process the hide.  Cooking/Chemistry appear to be sameish.  At least in Brightest Night.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2021, 02:17:34 pm »

Meanwhile in Arcana, working on a thing here: https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod/pull/196

* Hunter's visor, a variant of the mask of insight. Only covers the eyes and is compatible with mutant use in general, and fits on the outer layer to allow wearing it over full-face helmets.
* Illusory mantle is a variant of the mantle of shadows. Whereas the mantle of shadows is technically more like a robe with a decorative mantle, this is literally more like a mantle or capelet. Main benefit is being more mutant-friendly, in addition to being lighter.
* In the same vein as the above, thunder demi-gaunts are a variant of thunder gauntlets that better fit mutant anatomy, in particular being fingerless and compatible with natural attacks like claws, or can be worn over gloves.
* Luminous hammers are basically the lucerne hammer polearm converted into a hammer of the hunter. It's modified so that it could plausibly be more effective in melee range than conventional polearms, primarily to justify letting it count as a Via Gladium et Malleo weapon (since it'd be weird to have it be the only mage hunter melee weapon the style can't use), but I'm still not 100% sure if I'll stick with that. Its flash effect uses more dull essence than a normal hammer of the hunter, in exchange for being able to deal damage to normal enemies in its AoE instead of just shadow monsters. Added to both Via Gladium et Malleo and Fior Di Battaglia.
* Two variants of the wraithslayer. One's based off a pistol crossbow, having a bit worse accuracy and range but otherwise packing the same punch as the same variant (since it uses just as much dull essence per shot). The other is derived from a heavy crossbow, uses more dull essence per shot, and is beefed up accordingly.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2021, 06:21:04 pm »

Anything that can turn meat into veggies? My Experimental Mutant starting character is turning into a Cow/Plant, and can no longer process meat.  And those Angry Boars are so common...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2021, 09:20:31 pm »

I will be entirely honest, I prefer DDA. I don't know why but i just bounced off of BN. Maybe I'm too attached to pockets or something, or the devs hypnotized me. :P
Jokes aside I quite enjoy the realism but I respect anyone else's opinion.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 09:25:52 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 29, 2021, 01:19:01 am »

The realism isn't what bothers me it's the slowly ripping out of all the sci-fi stuff that made the game interesting and stand out against all the other zombie games.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2021, 02:54:07 am »

I believe the last time I played they had reduced what bows and crossbows damage by 1/10 or 1/5 then raised their critical damage by the same factor making those weapons useless against anything with even a thick hide (since damage multiplies after damage calculations). Given I care about bows and personally don't believe it's a change that makes sense I kinda bounced off of current DDA and the stuff I hear about how CBMs are handled means I'm likely not going to go back. And well, as far as pockets go, Bright nights just got an implementation that lets me drop my backpack off my back then pick it up and wear it with all items contained in it. Not quite pockets but it does what I want from pockets mostly.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2021, 04:21:37 am »

The realism isn't what bothers me it's the slowly ripping out of all the sci-fi stuff that made the game interesting and stand out against all the other zombie games.
Honestly I didn't really care for it much, those who want it can play BN, I have nothing against it. And I played on-and-off since like 2017.

I believe the last time I played they had reduced what bows and crossbows damage by 1/10 or 1/5 then raised their critical damage by the same factor making those weapons useless against anything with even a thick hide (since damage multiplies after damage calculations). Given I care about bows and personally don't believe it's a change that makes sense I kinda bounced off of current DDA and the stuff I hear about how CBMs are handled means I'm likely not going to go back. And well, as far as pockets go, Bright nights just got an implementation that lets me drop my backpack off my back then pick it up and wear it with all items contained in it. Not quite pockets but it does what I want from pockets mostly.
Actually crit damage for bows was upped way more than that. They're pretty viable at high skill (but guns are better unless you really want to be silent or have ammo problems). At low skill they're pretty useless though.

Mailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2021, 05:01:16 am »

What made me stop playing DDA were the changes to nutrition together with the removal of mods like "easy nutrition", which I already considered an essential to play even before the obesity / stomach volume changes. For one thing, the changes are touted as "realism" while being unrealistic as anything, for another the interface simply does not support the information necessary to make it work.
A pet peeve already before these changes were the "frozen food" update. Apparently eating frozen and then re-heated pasta dishes is awful enough to make one contemplate suicide in a zombie apocalypse. Strangely enough my wife freezes leftovers from her pasta dishes regularly, and they are delicious after being re-heated, but hey, what do I know, DDA realism experts know best, so I'll just go and shoot myself after the next meal :P

And I agree with King Zultan, the sci-fi stuff was fun, interesting, and followed the lore. Now everything is being retconned away, and while some parts of the game got definite improvements I'd really like to experience, the overall effect is bad enough to make me not play the game at all. I haven't tried Arcana or Bright Nights yet, maybe I'll give one of those a whirl.

At one point I even considered contributing to the project (my day job is C# dev), but holy heck is that GitHub a cess pit of favoritism, insults and circle jerk. If my work place was like that I'd try to get the responsible people out of there, and if that fails, quit myself. No way I need to expose myself to that in my spare time.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 29, 2021, 05:12:12 am »

Easy Nutrition did nothing actually, since it only changed vitamins which were unfinished. And still are. It'll probably get re-added once deficiency does something.

Pretty sure mushy food got tweaked somewhere down the line to reduce the mood debuff. I usually chuck it in the fridge instead of the freezer anyways.

Yeah for people who preferred the original setting I wish there was a mod for it. I have plans to make one anyways after Aftershock changed direction. Soon(tm).

Never had an issue with the github, most of how I interact with the community is making issues (suggestions and bug reports, one, the soil layer, got implemented even) and talking on the community server where the devs talk only occasionally anyways. Sorry for your experience though.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 29, 2021, 05:29:09 am »

The vitamin deficiencies got cut awhile back because they didn't do anything, and given the history of the game I doubt working versions will be getting implemented and time soon.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 29, 2021, 05:33:49 am »

Oh right, I forgot about the large amount of weight fluctuations and having to eat lard to not lose weight when I had to work on cars for a day. I believe that got fixed up, but soon after we got the proficiencies system where they were implemented before there was a post character creation method of acquiring them.

Ended up dropping the game after those were introduced. It's kinda become clear that dda isn't afraid of putting in new systems without a clear way to mitigate them in their experimental builds. And with how long vitamins are still unfinished, alongside drug use stuff I am really not confident that new systems will get fully implemented. But I have practically given up on runs before due to these implementations

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 29, 2021, 05:57:42 am »

Well that's the point of experimentals. They're not supposed to be oversight-free. They're basically alpha and beta versions. The latest stable fixed proficiencies and is overall in a pretty good state.
The vitamin deficiencies got cut awhile back because they didn't do anything, and given the history of the game I doubt working versions will be getting implemented and time soon.
Yeah it's not exactly a priority.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 29, 2021, 06:48:27 am »

Well, mostly just kinda making it clear why I bounced off of DDA. And a lot of these had been kinda issues that my friend group ran into mostly, but we're glad we have a choice in the matter now at least

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 29, 2021, 06:49:18 am »

It's kind of hard to take "the experimentals are alpha/betas" when the person in charge of the fork actively argues and insults anyone who tells them what doesn't work on the current "experimental" and consistently leaves in broken or half-thought out features for years....all while actively removing ones which were fun and actually worked that were created by other community members.

And the "stable" branch is progressively becoming anything but stable on DDA.  It's fine if it's your preference but dude, don't come in here pretending like most of us are newbies who "just don't get it".

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 29, 2021, 06:54:15 am »

I'm not pretending that you are. Yes the devs have problems. I don't deny that. Just never personally had problems with my bug reports but I guess I'll have to trust other people on it.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 73